O/T Car storage fee/lean in WA state - Duplicate post - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I posted this in the main forum.

Here is the deal. A not-so-much-of-a-friend has stored a Mustang II at my place for over a year with the agreement of payin $50 a month. Part of the deal is that he can come over and work on it cause its in side of my garage and using up one of my bays and I have been having to move cars around to work on them in the process, so the bay is not in need ya know. Well the guy has never come over to work on it and its been a year to the day that he hasnít paid me and I figure that I want $600 for the space and his car gone. I have called him a few times and he gives me the same song and dance that he canít afford it right now and has no place to keep the car. He keeps saying that he will make it right. A few months ago I called his house and the # says its no longer in service. Called his cell and he said he moved to eastern Washington and didnít know his address off hand to give it to me. He doesnít know when he will be able to get his car and didnít say anything about the $$$ when I last talked to him. Now he isnít picking up his cell or returning messages.

So now I have a car with no title and I am out some cash, I know I really have not lost anything but itís been a long time and I have been inconvenienced enough that I feel I deserve something. I called the wreckers and they will not come and get the car unless itís abandoned. If I had the title I would get some $$$ though. If I had the title I would sell the car or yank the 302 + front suspension out and junk the body, but I donít want to get busted for striping a stolen car or something (possible as its not mine).

What can/should I do?

A guy in Oregon told me that down there they can put a lean on stored vehicles and after 90 or so days they can Ďtakeí the title legally. Anyone know if I can do the same in WA state?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to bbenthin
Drag it out in to the middle of the street and leave it there.
It'll get towed...no more problem. As long as you didn't sign anything accepting any liability.

Brian
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Check with the DMV. A storage lien shouldn't too hard.

'69 Convertible 351w, 5-speed
'69 Mach 1 S-code, 4-speed
'70 Boss 302
'90 5.0 LX Notch
'04 Cobra
'17 GT350

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:59 PM

I agree with Brian, but there are other ways. In the autobody/repair business we CAN put a lean on a car that has been stored and unpaid for repairs, but I am not sure if you own a licenced shop or not. I think it would be more of a "small claims" court matter if you are not a "business". In the autobody world, we charge the insurance company up to $25 per day for storage, just to make sure the adjuster gets out to us in a hurry, or the totaled car gets out of the shop quickly.

Dean
Owner of "Reining in Paradise Stables"
Boarding and Lessons
Near Seattle, WA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:08 PM

Check out www.access.wa.gov -- it has the rcw's there. I looked real quick, but it seems like you can have it towed or you could possibly sell it, but I think there's more to selling it than I can find right away. It does seem, though, that if it's sold, you can pay yourself for the storage fees and then the rest either goes to the owner or the state. I don't know if you would have to have had a contract or anything, though.

My brother has told me many times in the past about getting title to a car on your property by sending a certified letter to the last known address of the previous owner stating your intentions, and if it comes back undelivered to take it with you to the DOL. I've never done such a thing, so I'm not sure, but I'd call the state to ask.

I would, however, make sure that I tried to contact the fella by phone again first to make sure he knows what you plan on doing. If he's not answering his cell, maybe he recognized your number. Try calling him from a different phone...

Of course, if you want it gone, and there is no written proof anywhere that you actually have the car (contract), then I'd cut off the pieces I wanted and then drop it off somewhere. I didn't have the title to a 66 coupe and I cut it into lots of pieces, loaded it into my truck, and took it somewhere. Well, actually, part of it became the infamous PNW half-a-coupe that ended up somewhere in the Snohomish area...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I did loan the guy almost $200. so I would really like some 'legal' $$$ out of the car.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

"My brother has told me many times in the past about getting title to a car on your property by sending a certified letter to the last known address of the previous owner stating your intentions, and if it comes back undelivered to take it with you to the DOL."

What happens with this is that you get a registration for 3 years, then you get a title. The P.O. can come back at any time and claim the car in the 3 years and your SOL. You can sell the car in the 3 years but someone would have to be wacked in the head to want to do that. I researched this as I have a '70 with a title beeing lost and the P.O. is nowhere to be found.

Whats this 'PNW half-a-coupe' thing?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

bbenthin - Called the wreckin yard and they said that they can't take the car without a title but I could have a tow company come and take it as abandoned/illegaly parked on my property. He said wouldn't cost me a nickle but I am already in the hole for $200 and am wanting another $600 for the hasle.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:55 PM

oops! My brain was misfiring!

That coupe I cut up WAS actually taken to a junk yard for disposal -- even without a title. It was a situation where I appeared desperate to dump the car, and had nowhere to turn and I asked the guy at the yard, "What can I do? I've cut it into pieces and I don't want to just dump it in the woods!!" He told me to just come back with it within the next 2 hours along with a fifty dollar bill and he'd take it. He didn't have to ask me twice!

The half-a-coupe was a 66 coupe that I gave up on. I cut it into quarters, but kept the back half intact to turn into a couch for my garage, but then it was needed for a few pieces to rebuild a convertible, so I sadly let it go.

Dan was such a sucker...

I think he recently announced that it was "no more"...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thats a good idea about a back half-sofa! I have enough parts to my rusted out '65 that I could do up one like they have for the '57 Chevys! Use the original back seat to! hehe

But how should I do that? back seat in the trunk, back seat in the back seat area with back end of car in tact, or take the front end and cut it away so the rear seat is where the engine is and you can still see the mustang front? hehe
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:54 PM

The plan was to use the back seat in place as the couch. I would've had to add some legs underneath for support. My feet still would've been on the rear floor of the car.

Another idea that came up here was to make a coffee table out of the rear section about 5 or 6 inches back from the tail light panel. I've seen somewhere a picture of a wall hanging that was just the tail panel area, complete with working lights, bumper, and license plate. That sounds pretty cool, too.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Can't speak for Washington rules, but you are right about the Oregon DMV. I had a '63 T-bird that I sold and the buyer asked to "store" it for 2 weeks while he went on vacation. Well 2 months later and the car was still here and no contact from the new owner (and he wouldn't answer my phone calls). Basically, the DMV told me to send a registered letter informing him that the car would be considered abandoned within seven days if he didn't respond (because it had already been 60 days). All I had to do was take a copy of the letter (or the returned letter) and the post office receipt to the DMV and I would get a new title in my name. Guess what? He showed up the following saturday to take the car! ::
That's all that is required in Oregon, but from what I hear in Washington it takes 3 years for this process.
Best of luck!!

Duane
'71 fastback - 351C/C6 (in resto-11 yrs & counting)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The half-a-coupe was a 66 coupe that I gave up on. I cut it into quarters, but kept the back half intact to turn into a couch for my garage, but then it was needed for a few pieces to rebuild a convertible, so I sadly let it go.

Dan was such a sucker...

I think he recently announced that it was "no more"...
Yup, what's left of the half-a-coupe is probably currently on it's way to Korea in the form of scrap metal, where it will promptly be pressed into a new Daiwoo or some such thing. I carved all the sheetmetal I needed off it, and even carved off a few hunks for fellow VMFers. What was left served as good cutting torch practice, then off to the recycle bin!

Thanks again for the half-a-coupe!

[color:"green"]"You can't have a proper midlife crisis on only 6 cylinders"[/color]

DanM, Seattle area

www.modernvintageauto.com
66 Coupe & 66 convertible
The Coupe ... 265 of its closest friends!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

You could call in that tow company to take away that completely stripped Mustang II which was abandoned on your property! The M2 guys are hard-pressed to find any parts at all.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:46 PM

The guy will get a big wake up call if it gets towed. By the time they add up the tow fee,storage fee, auction fee to recover costs, and then the collection agency goes after the owner of title he could get a bill for at least 800.00.You may not get your 200.00 but he will learn a lesson.
Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page