Welder help needed - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Welder help needed

I finally got everything out of my engine compartment this past weekend and found a cancer hole underneath the battery tray. Common spot I understand.

As I looked it appears that it is a very easy panel to replace. Drill out the spot welds and plug weld the new panel in place.

My problem is I don't have a welder.

I thought about going down to Harbor Freight and picking up their cheepo 110v flux core for $89. If this was the only panel I would need to weld I would do that in a heartbeat.

But, knowing that there are probably several other places i will need to weld (passenger floorboard, rear lower quarters) I think this will give me more problems than I need.

So, because I can't afford $1000 for a nice MIG setup, can I get by with the Flux Core from HF and grind the crap out of the welds to smooth them. Or can I rent a mig for a weekend for a reasonable price.

I have also been watching Craigslist for used machines.

Ideas

1968 Coupe J-Code

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Typically, those flux core welders support MIG as well. You just have to hook up a gas bottle and use the right wire. That said, I don't know why flux core wouldn't work for your purposes. It's very similar to MIG, you just end up with some slag. I have also rented a 110v MIG setup. The problem with this is, they aren't always as well maintained as they should be so it's hard to run a smooth bead.

'69 Convertible 351w, 5-speed
'69 Mach 1 S-code, 4-speed
'70 Boss 302
'90 5.0 LX Notch
'04 Cobra
'17 GT350

Last edited by The_Dude; 04-13-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

The cheep one from HF does not have gas hookup.

1968 Coupe J-Code

Scott

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM

I guess, I wouldn't buy a cheap welder if it were me. You get what you pay for. I'd rent a MIG. When I did it, it was $45 and the welder was a Miller.

'69 Convertible 351w, 5-speed
'69 Mach 1 S-code, 4-speed
'70 Boss 302
'90 5.0 LX Notch
'04 Cobra
'17 GT350
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM

I typically rent a welder for small jobs. I've rented it about 6 times and cost me about $40-60 depending where I get it from. I'll eventually buy a good lincoln or Miller.

Darreld
1968 Convertible
333 with 555 rwhp and 550 rwtq, EFI, Vortech V2 trim blower with 12 lbs of boost, H2O/Meth Injection, T56 6 speed, JMC clutch, TCP rack, Ron Morris Front and TCP G-bar Rear Coilovers, Cobra brakes, NewGen wheels. Basically a money pit.

Pro-Touring Volvo 1800 http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ighlight=volvo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Do local welding supply shops rent migs? or would I call the local tool rental place?

1968 Coupe J-Code

Scott
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 AM

I found that renting at places like Ace hardware are a little cheaper than from welding shops. I would just call around in your area and ask. Make sure you reserve it because they tend to be rented quite often. At least when I want it and don't plan on it in advance.

Darreld
1968 Convertible
333 with 555 rwhp and 550 rwtq, EFI, Vortech V2 trim blower with 12 lbs of boost, H2O/Meth Injection, T56 6 speed, JMC clutch, TCP rack, Ron Morris Front and TCP G-bar Rear Coilovers, Cobra brakes, NewGen wheels. Basically a money pit.

Pro-Touring Volvo 1800 http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ighlight=volvo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 AM

You will have better success with solid wire and gas for thin metal. Flux core welds a bit hotter. If a $1000 mig is out of your range, consider one of those small 110v units like they have at home depot. One with gas a gas hook up of course. I have welded with them before and they actually work pretty well.

'66 Coupe - 289, T-5, Tri Y's, Dual exhaust, Electronic ignition
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM

I agree. Flux runs too hot and it splatters and is messier to clean up. The easy way would be to flange two of the longer sides of your patch, drill/punch your holes and plug weld it in. If you get flux that's the only way I'd try it due to heat. If you butt weld it with flux it will be harder to get good penetration without burning thru so what you'll end up with is what I like to call "boogers". Those would be your high mounds that don't penetrate the backside but are a pain to grind off and with boogers you can't even really grind it all the way down without losing your bond. go gas for sure.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Don't buy the hf cheapie... I had one and it's junk. Blow-thru was quite common. I finally invested in a good 130v mig with gas. Daylight and dark difference. A cheap auto-darkening helmet will help you hone your skills. I'm not a welder, but I can see myself improving after getting decent equipment.
Bill

Living the dream or running it down... haven't figured out which yet.

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page