Vintage Mustang Forums banner

New to the forum new to mustangs

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  wantaboss 
#1 ·
How you all doing? My names John and today I bought my first mustang it's a 68 coupe with a 302 with 289 heads and a Holley 4 barrel carb. I'm not new to cars but new to the classics. My previous build is a 91 Toyota supra with a 1jz twin turbo swap. Just ready for something different and something new. On to some pics

These were all pics from the Craigslist ad. I haven't gotten a chance to take any myself. I'm from Vancouver wa and the car was in Everett. After picking it up on the way back to puyallup where my brother lives I found out the alternator is shot. Nice way to find out on the freeway at 10 pm with no lights and a misfiring. Wasn't very happy about it.l, and the wife was very upset with me. So tomorrow I have to get a new alternator to swap in before I atempt the drive home. Is there a specific alternator I should get? Or will any small block ford do?

See less See more
#5 ·
How you all doing? My names John and today I bought my first mustang it's a 68 coupe with a 302 with 289 heads and a Holley 4 barrel carb. I'm not new to cars but new to the classics.

After picking it up on the way back to puyallup where my brother lives I found out the alternator is shot. Nice way to find out on the freeway at 10 pm with no lights and a misfiring. Wasn't very happy about it.l, and the wife was very upset with me. So tomorrow I have to get a new alternator to swap in before I atempt the drive home. Is there a specific alternator I should get? Or will any small block ford do?

Welcome to VMF and the wonderful world of classic Mustangs... nice looking ride...keep your wrenches handy as there is ALWAYS some tinkering to do.....

I've had some raised eyebrows and an occasional thrown object from the wife over the last 30 years but she's come to accept me and my need for my toys. Keeps me out of the local pub and I could be "wasting" money in a lot worse ways which SWMBO has finally realized.

Stop at your local flower shop and get her a bouquet when you go get your new alternator and then show her how to turn a wrench so she can share some garage time with ya!!

Best of luck!!

#6 ·
Ya most years/models of ford alts will work just watch for the bolt hole locations, I may be needing one soon and I was looking to up the amps for my add ons but I think Ill need to swap pulleys on one from the 80's.

That is an awsome car, Im jealous...of the Supra I mean.
Enjoy the extra wrench room on the Mustang.

#7 ·
Welcome. I live in Camas and am a member of the local club, Mustang Unlimited. Congrats on the new purchase and let me know if you need some help with something. I am pretty familiar with the 68's. Nice looking cars! I really like the shade of blue.

#8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. I knew there were some clubs in the area are you the guys that meet at that coffee joint there on mill plain on saturday mornings? So I replaced the alternator and the voltage regulator and was still having the same problems so it has to be the wiring. I ran out of time last weekend and had to get home so I left the car with my brother in Puyallup. I'm working 6 12s this week so I wont be able to make it back up there till next weekend. I'm just going to rewire the charging system. Some of the wiring is a littl questionable. My wife has cooled down about it lol. That's one of the reasons I picked a classic Mustang, it's always been one of my favorites but its one of the wife's favorites too. I'm hoping I can get her more interested in it, and have her help me work on it. She never liked the Supra hated the stiff suspension and never wanted to ride in it. Anyways here is a few more pics I took before I left.

Hey efivert do you know any decent priced painters in the area that could do a good job matching the paint when i replace the front valance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.