Congratulations gsxrken - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Congratulations gsxrken

So...back on track this month with a Beautiful '69 Mach 1 from Ken. This car is well done and I can only image it drives and sounds as well as it looks. Enjoy Ken's story and photos below. Ken, Thank you for sharing with the group.

I first saw this 1969 Mach 1 in the late 1970s. It was in my Uncleís neighborhood outside in a driveway; when I visited my cousins we would ride bicycles and stop by and just drool over it. In 1987,through some odd coincidences I was able to buy the car for $500 and some construction work at the ownerís house. I was 20 years old.

It was a complete Northeast rust bucket that in hindsight from a labor and financial standpoint should not have been restored. I got it on the road but after a season of driving around, it came apart for what turned into a complete overhaul. Doors from California, trunk lid from Missouri, rust-free fenders from Mostly Mustangs in Hamden CT, new floors, engine compartment panels, wheel wells and repop quarter skins all done by myself. With the exception of the hood and roof, there is little else left that the Metuchen Ford assembly line workers had a hand in.

Life got in the way college/job/marriage/kids but I held onto it. I dragged it from my fathers garage to my first house, and then second house, and finally got it back on the road around 2005. Originally I had restored it to a fairly mild looking restomod, going with the original Silver Jade Metallic paint, TT2s, renewed but original suspension and interior. I did build a monster 408W with a TKO600 for it, which completely overpowered everything else on the car.

I drove the car like this for a few years. It was a very enjoyable street car with tremendous roll-on power. Lotta car shows and waves going down the road etc. but I was getting bored with actually driving it. I had begun to do some HPDE track days in my other car and decided to take the Mustang down a more serious road racing motif. First up was better brakes, Wilwood discs and a Hydratech hydraulic brake booster to address the lousy pedal I always had due to the lumpy cam. I also completely overhauled the front suspension with TCP power rack, TCP upper and lower arms, SoT strut rods, Opentrackers roller perches and Mike Maierís 1-1/8Ē sway bar and race Bilstein shocks.

Not too long after that, I ran over a toolbox that had fallen onto the middle of an interstate and tore up my front valance and front fender. This kicked off another phase of the carís lifeÖ I wanted to flare the front and rear fenders to fit wider stickier tires on it and I always liked the vintage Trans Am look anyway. Steve Stroppe had just done the white Anvil Mustang and I got one of the earliest Anvil carbon fiber hood and front fenders that were made. The fenders are a subtle 1-1/2Ē wider than stock and permitted me to get some 265 tires underneath without any rubbing.

Since I was into it now for paint, I decided I wanted to flare the rear fenders as well to fit some 315s and then paint it the same color I had seen on a Lamborghini that had stopped me in my tracks: House of Kolor Tangelo Orange. I brought it up to Jakeís Rod Shop in Maine after meeting him at a track and seeing his work.

While it was at Jakeís, we installed the Maier panhard bar to tie the back end down. That thing is incredible, by the way. One of the best improvements in turn in and responsiveness Iíve done to the car.
Hereís a shot of the panhard bar, the rear Wilwoods, and the 9Ē rear with a truetrac diff and 3.73 gears.

Hereís how it looks at the moment from the outside. The front spoiler and turnbuckles was a custom thing I had Jake make up- I worry about it all the time because itís a one off. The same with the custom rims: they were waterjet cut from billet by a guy in California that since went out of business. If I ever bend one Iíll be out of luck unless I can get new barrels from somewhere. Iíve had it at tracks all over the Northeast and it does draw a crowd. The color, the vintage look (everything there is new-ish) and the sound gets a lot of thumbs up at the track or on the road.

When youíve had a car this long, and enjoy tinkering and changing things up, something is always going on with it. Drives my wife nuts. I sold the original seats and located some vintage Recaro Model C seats from an early 1980s euro BMW. I found a guy, also in CA, and also out of business now, that recovered the seats and used an orange stitching to really tie the interior in with the exterior color. I also came across some sick looking gauges from New Vintage USA gauges that fit in the original cluster but gave me a complete set of analog gauges.

Iíve been just been driving it now like this for awhile. Iím thinking of softening up the front end since itís pretty damn intense and I havenít been tracking the car in three years now. I wanted to try Shawnís SoT coilovers on my TCP arms, but he wouldnít sell them separately so Iíll probably reach back out to Chris Alstonís and get their double adjustable coil overs and see how that goes. Just this week actually Iím finishing off a headlight upgrade: I got four projector headlights from Dapper Lighting. The outer two low beams are an LED setup for supposedly 200% more light than even the upgraded halogen high beams. I couldnít fit the LED in the high beam buckets without cutting up the radiator support, which might sound funny given the rest of the carís mods.

Regards,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Dimples

Garage
Wow! Great, very deserving selection. Good story and a heck of a car. That front splitter is rad.
gsxrken likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Congratulations Ken and welcome to the R O T M club!!

Amazing looking car and a great backstory. Tell us about those switches that are integrated into the lower seat bolsters?

John
gsxrken likes this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM

WOW, talk about an impressive transformation. I love both versions. I'm always impressed with guys that hang on to their dream cars despite life changes and challenges. Congrats on a beautiful ride.
gsxrken likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Very impressive,.....Congratulations!
gsxrken likes this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
Love your car. Very deserving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsxrken likes this.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
I sold the original seats and located some vintage Recaro Model C seats from an early 1980s euro BMW. I found a guy, also in CA, and also out of business now, that recovered the seats and used an orange stitching to really tie the interior in with the exterior color.
Awesome car and story! Just so you know though, those Recaro C's were specifically made for and offered as an option in late '80's Mercedes AMG models. Crazy expensive too, like $10K in fine leather and if they had speakers in the headrests. (Someone must have transplanted them into whatever early 80's BMW they were found in.)
Frickin' sweet!
gsxrken likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I have informed Ken of the posting. There are a few other pics I couldnít download from his site. Hopefully he will chime in and post up the additional pics. Really nice car.
subpar63 likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Very nice build, wicked stance. What kind of camber is that, about 6-8 degrees?

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Thanks Patrick for posting up my car. Glad to share my journey with the VMF that was such a help during my build. Iíll post a few other pics that I have that Patrick couldnít download for some reason.

Vintage LED install- new one vs old bulbs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 261CD240-7057-498E-B9FB-2A7467EE7A38.jpg (280.0 KB, 4 views)
Grabber70Mach likes this.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:46 AM

New Vintage USA gauges:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B7993784-139E-4CD3-992F-C266E17C5478.jpg (447.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 506FA9E9-58E5-4E0F-A6B3-260EE3F0501A.jpg (363.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 6EA1E549-4FFF-4B2B-A607-CCF14B5CF63B.jpg (446.3 KB, 3 views)
Grabber70Mach likes this.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Garage
Gnarly. Love the story and build!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Thanks Ken. I'm not sure what the problem was with those pics for me.

Regards,
Patrick
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM

that color, WOW! it looks great on my computer screen, I can't even imagine how it looks in person. congrats!

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Congrats I've always thought you had a spectacular looking car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page