Palm Bay/Melbourne 7th Annual Summer Heat Show - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Niceville Fl
Posts: 4,591
Wish the show schedule lined up with the school year, we’ll be back in Melbourne dropping my son off at FIT in Aug. As a MCA Regional Director, I have seen first hand the problems getting classic cars to come to shows. In the area we live there are at least 100 Classic Mustang around including some National level winners and some exceptional Shelby’s. Unfortunately we can’t get any of them to come to our local shows. Most are garage queens as their owners get older and can’t or won’t take them out any more. The younger generation is more interested in ricers, or the new Mustangs. So we are lucky to get 5 - 10 classics. We get more Model A & Ts. Most cars are S197 or newer. The shows starts to look like a Ford dealership with all the cars that are less than 5 years old.

We are however seeing more Fox and SN95 cars as they are now in the classic range. And people are starting to take notice. Parts are becoming available to restore them and they are relatively cheap t9 buy.
I think part of the issue is all the car shows like Barrett Jackson etc. Owners think they have to have 100 point cars to show up. They miss the point of the show. It’s to come out and meet other owners and enjoy the Cars regardless of condition. I am a strong believer that unless the car is particularly rare or a high end restoration, they should be driven regularly. I have been to several of the NPD shows including the last. I drove my 68 convertible 300 miles each way. It is far from a show car. We even took it on the Friday Cruise to Cedar Key, braving a torrential downpour and crazy wind I was sure would rip off my paper thin old top. But what I like most about the show is that at least 50% of the cars are just drivers. In any and all conditions.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Flade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,207
Garage
I think you can see it here?:

https://www.facebook.com/david.ranki...8214146&type=3

and here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flade.jpg (334.1 KB, 2 views)

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

69GT350H is online now  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,849
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I don't know what happened with having shows at the Weeks Museum... That venue was fantastic... I used to go to the "Mustangs and Mustangs" events for years..

I think the bummer was that if they had a "Mustangs and Mustangs" event going on at the Weeks Museum (Fantasy of Flight) that you could not just walk into the Mustang show event.... The kicker was that you had to buy a ticket to the Weeks museum which show people did not want to pay... What a bummer... That venue was absolutely fantastic..

)

Tony K.

PS: FIT University is located right behind my block...lol...



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
NEFaurora is offline  
 
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,207
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
I don't know what happened with having shows at the Weeks Museum... That venue was fantastic... I used to go to the "Mustangs and Mustangs" events for years..

I think the bummer was that if they had a "Mustangs and Mustangs" event going on at the Weeks Museum (Fantasy of Flight) that you could not just walk into the Mustang show event.... The kicker was that you had to buy a ticket to the Weeks museum which show people did not want to pay... What a bummer... That venue was absolutely fantastic..

)

Tony K.

PS: FIT University is located right behind my block...lol...
Weeks went private, then closed down all the extra stuff so he could concentrate on his airplane restoration business.

https://www.facebook.com/david.ranki...5071292&type=3

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

69GT350H is online now  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Niceville Fl
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
I think you can see it here?:

https://www.facebook.com/david.ranki...8214146&type=3

and here?
Wow, thanks for the pic! Paint actually looks good in that shot!

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Flade is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,849
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Dave, Ahhhhhhh... An old Commodore Computers collector.....I saw the pic.... So am I... I think that I have every C64 Cartridge and disk ever made!

Great stuff! Great minds think alike!

I still have an old working C64 and 1702 Monitor setup in my office! The best games ever!


To Flade: Flade, Do you have Power or Manual Top on your '68 car?!??

)

Tony K.



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-21-2019 at 07:40 PM.
NEFaurora is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,207
Garage
Well, I tried, but its just not working out. I put in the new cam and new timing set. Did the 1/2 hour break in and did not stop even though it was running very rich and labored. Called it a night and went back at it the next day, checking timing, firing order. I replaced the plugs, rotor cap. Ran a check on each spark plug and made sure each is firing/sparking. Today I pulled the timing cover back off and checked the timing set alignment and its spot on. Put it all back together and fired it up and it is still exhibiting the same symptoms. Backfires when trying to start and rich labored running. Pulled the valve covers and verified the firing order by watching the rockers. Exhaust, intake, compression. Reset the valve lash, zero lash and 1/2 turn. No difference. The CompCams 280H, the same cam 280H that I removed, uses the 289/302 firing order. Everything checks out, but it is not running on all cylinders it seems. Not looking for comments on this, I will be calling CompCams Monday Morning. Just wanted to let @NEFaurora and anyone else that I will not be at the show tomorrow.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

69GT350H is online now  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,849
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Bummer Dave! Hope all works out with the engine....We'll see you at the next good show... No worries... I'll drop in on the HD and SCMC shows across the street from each other and let you know how it turns out...and what you missed..if anything...

)

Tony K.



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
NEFaurora is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
Well, I tried, but its just not working out. I put in the new cam and new timing set. Did the 1/2 hour break in and did not stop even though it was running very rich and labored. Called it a night and went back at it the next day, checking timing, firing order. I replaced the plugs, rotor cap. Ran a check on each spark plug and made sure each is firing/sparking. Today I pulled the timing cover back off and checked the timing set alignment and its spot on. Put it all back together and fired it up and it is still exhibiting the same symptoms. Backfires when trying to start and rich labored running. Pulled the valve covers and verified the firing order by watching the rockers. Exhaust, intake, compression. Reset the valve lash, zero lash and 1/2 turn. No difference. The CompCams 280H, the same cam 280H that I removed, uses the 289/302 firing order. Everything checks out, but it is not running on all cylinders it seems. Not looking for comments on this, I will be calling CompCams Monday Morning. Just wanted to let @NEFaurora and anyone else that I will not be at the show tomorrow.
I ran that same cam back in the 80's in my 289HP. It doesn't make much vacuum in a 289, but in your big motor that should not be a problem.


Very frustrating situation for sure.
66kcar is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Niceville Fl
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Dave, Ahhhhhhh... An old Commodore Computers collector.....I saw the pic.... So am I... I think that I have every C64 Cartridge and disk ever made!

Great stuff! Great minds think alike!

I still have an old working C64 and 1702 Monitor setup in my office! The best games ever!


To Flade: Flade, Do you have Power or Manual Top on your '68 car?!??

)

Tony K.
Tony,

Itís a Power top.

We have a Apple II that my wife still plays games on regularly. Lots of great games from the early days.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

Flade is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,849
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Dave, I went to both Melbourne shows today...twice...

You did well by staying home. As I had imagined, Both shows were pitiful....one worse than the other....but these were way worse than I even imagined.. worst attendance ever...

The Harley Davidson show had like 20 cars....8 of which were vintage rides....the rest all new crap...and a bunch of bikers... It was literally the highlight of the morning...No lie..

The "Hooters" SCMC Show was a total embarrassment. No one showed up....literally. There was one (Yes, 1) new Mustang (2015-2017), and an '83 CHevy/GMC Van, and a Blue Modern Alfa Romeo... That was it. I hit both shows around 11:30-12:30.....then I went back to both...at around 2:30pm and everyone was gone from both shows..

Pitiful, just pitiful.

Don't say that I told you so...but I told you so...

I know all of the "Good" shows happening around here in Melbourne... and when one Good show comes to town and worth driving up from Miami... I'll be sure and let you know..

Staying home in Miami and working on your '69 Shelby was the best thing that you could have done today....and saved time, gas and gas money doing it.

)

Tony K.



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-23-2019 at 03:06 PM.
NEFaurora is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
69GT350H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 3,207
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Dave, I went to both Melbourne shows today...twice...

You did well by staying home. As I had imagined, Both shows were pitiful....one worse than the other....but these were way worse than I even imagined.. worst attendance ever...

The Harley Davidson show had like 20 cars....8 of which were vintage rides....the rest all new crap...and a bunch of bikers... It was literally the highlight of the morning...No lie..

The "Hooters" SCMC Show was a total embarrassment. No one showed up....literally. There was one (Yes, 1) new Mustang (2015-2017), and an '83 CHevy/GMC Van, and a Blue Modern Alfa Romeo... That was it. I hit both shows around 11:30-12:30.....then I went back to both...at around 2:30pm and everyone was gone from both shows..

Pitiful, just pitiful.

Don't say that I told you so...but I told you so...

I know all of the "Good" shows happening around here in Melbourne... and when one Good show comes to town and worth driving up from Miami... I'll be sure and let you know..

Staying home in Miami and working on your '69 Shelby was the best thing that you could have done today....and saved time, gas and gas money doing it.

)

Tony K.
Sigh... Thank you for taking the time to visit the shows. I am disappointed in hearing about the poor attendance, and possible lack of attendance from the SCMC members.

With all the shows they advertise on FB I thought they were a much more active club than what you have observed.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

69GT350H is online now  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,849
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
It depends on the event... If there is a show at the new Pieloch "American Musclecar Museum"... or their SCMC yearly show every November at Palm Bay Ford.... You'll have ever SCMC member attending...and it's worth coming up.. Any American Musclecar Museum events, or AACA events that are here in Brevard County, You'll have all of the local guys and guys from elsewhere attending...

The regular cruise nights in central Florida (no matter where they are held) with the exception of OLDTOWN in Kissimmee...are always a crapshoot...

Like I said, If I feel that its going to be a good turnout show worth coming up from Miami for.... I'll be the first to let you know...and not let you waste your gas/time/money..

Also, A lot of good events where SCMC attends are held by these guys... http://moparsofbrevard.com/EVENTS.html


)

Tony K.



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-24-2019 at 04:06 AM.
NEFaurora is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome