Garage
Palm Bay/Melbourne 7th Annual Summer Heat Show

7th Annual Summer Heat Show
Hosted by Space Coast Mustang Club

Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11 AM – 3 PM

Space Coast Harley-Davidson
1440 Sportsman Ln NE, Palm Bay, Florida 32905

Registration $10.00

Presented by High Performance Promotions. Open to all cars, trucks and bikes of every year, make and model. Awards, music, 50/50 drawing, food, and vendors. This is a judged show. Registration is 9am-1pm, award presentation is at 3:30pm. For vendors info contact Kim (407) 716-2898 or [email protected]

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am planning on attending this show.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Hmm, Literally Right down the road from me... I'll have to drop in!

May I ask why though? I can't see the Harley Davidson car show being anything spectacular unless you're a real biker and Harley fan.. I see that it's hosted by my own local Space Coast Mustang Club...but even they have too many new cars and not enough vintage ones..in their club...

If I ever started my own Mustang club, It would be: VMCOF (Vintage Mustang Club of Florida)........ Vintage Mustang cars only!....I'd probably let up to Fox Body cars join. ('64-'93)..and then cut it off there.. Too many New cars in most shows drowning out the old ones...and unorganized at that... I'm really conflicted about it... If I want to see new Mustangs, I'll just go to my local dealership...

Anyway, They've had other shows in the past and were not that exciting... I think that you can go to their website..and see some pics...It's mostly bikers..

Let me get this right... You're in Miami, and You're attending this show!?? That's a cruise...!!

PS: I never told you this before, but your '69 Shelby is 98% identical to my girlfriend's Father's '70 Shelby that he once owned in the Mid 1970's... Your '69 has the same exterior color and interior color and even the same color side stripes. Just no Dual Black Hood stripes and Black Chin Spoiler which '70 Shelbys had. 1970 Shelbys were just 1969 "Leftovers" anyway!...and re-titled and re-VIN'd by the Feds. Most people don't even know that.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post

May I ask why though? I can't see the Harley Davidson car show being anything spectacular unless you're a real biker and Harley fan.. I see that it's hosted by my own local Space Coast Mustang Club...but even they have too many new cars and not enough vintage ones..in their club...
Remember that this is the club that is going to put on a National MCA show next year (2020). And as this is an actual show that the SCMC puts on, it will be nice to see how well they do, and to get to know them a little better.

Quote:
If I ever started my own Mustang club, It would be: VMCOF (Vintage Mustang Club of Florida)........ Vintage Mustang cars only!....I'd probably let up to Fox Body cars join. ('64-'93)..and then cut it off there.. Too many New cars in most shows drowning out the old ones...and unorganized at that... I'm really conflicted about it... If I want to see new Mustangs, I'll just go to my local dealership...

Anyway, They've had other shows in the past and were not that exciting... I think that you can go to their website..and see some pics...It's mostly bikers..
The thing is, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Mustangs are out there, but fail to show up to the events, or join the existing clubs. So trying to start a club that encompasses only the early gen's, is going to be a battle. Want a better show? Lets get more cars to show up than bikes. Lets get more of the 1st gen Mustangs to show up.

Quote:
Let me get this right... You're in Miami, and You're attending this show!?? That's a cruise...!!
On an early Sunday morning, going north on the Turnpike/I-95, it's going to be an easy 2.75 hour trip. I will be trailering. The judged car show season here in Miami-Dade County is over, there are no more advertised or scheduled "Shows" down here other than the Cars & Coffee type events. I have even looked at the Fort Lauderdale Mustang Club, and they do not show anything in their event calendar that is a true "Show". So, if I'm going to have to travel, I picked what I think is a very active club that still has real judged shows instead of just Cruise in's that last an hour or two.

Quote:
PS: I never told you this before, but your '69 Shelby is 98% identical to my girlfriend's Father's '70 Shelby that he once owned in the Mid 1970's... Your '69 has the same exterior color and interior color and even the same color side stripes. Just no Dual Black Hood stripes and Black Chin Spoiler which '70 Shelbys had. 1970 Shelbys were just 1969 "Leftovers" anyway!...and re-titled and re-VIN'd by the Feds. Most people don't even know that.

)

Tony K.
Once owned, too bad. Wonder where it is now? And, does it ever see the light of day?

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
...If I ever started my own Mustang club, It would be: VMCOF (Vintage Mustang Club of Florida)........ Vintage Mustang cars only!....I'd probably let up to Fox Body cars join. ('64-'93)..and then cut it off there.. Too many New cars in most shows drowning out the old ones...and unorganized at that... I'm really conflicted about it... If I want to see new Mustangs, I'll just go to my local dealership...
)

Tony K.
I had created a post/topic back in March 2019 asking what members here thought about the car events, shows and such.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...l#post10135910

5 pages of conversation and though there are many that do go to car shows, the majority prefer the quick in, quick out access of a Cars & Coffee type event. Many stated they would not do a car show due to an $$ entry fee and then be told what is wrong with their car. And finally, there is the complaint that the older Mustangs do not get the attention due to all the newer Mustangs, Camaros, and Mopars at the show.

NPD used to host the annual Silver Springs Mustang and Ford show every year, but stopped due to dropping/low attendance. I went to the Ponies in the Smokies 2019 show, and of the 700 plus Mustangs, there were only about 20 of the classics.

So starting a Classic Mustang Club would be interesting, but other than another forum much like this one, I don't think you'd get the participation in activities that would make the club worth it.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Tony K.
Seems you are on to something. I was finally able to talk to someone in the SCMC and it seems that the Mustang Club is NOT hosting this show. SCMC added it to their EVENT page, and FB automatically puts them as the host. So it seems this is a yearly, along with what seems to be their monthly show. I have been told the Space Coast Mustang Club will be hosting a show in November, but I have not seen any info on this show.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am still thinking about going to this show. It works out for me as it does not start too early for me to drive(trailer) up, and ends early enough for me to drive(trailer) back home and not arrive home in the dark. I know Tony, aka @NEFaurora has expressed an interest in stopping by (not entering in the show?), and I know there are a couple of other VMF members in the area. Maybe we can get a few more members to stop by and show some VMF support? @Tgsarko, SCMC President, how many club members are you expecting to make it to the show?

Was there someone once that was making or had made a VMF logo that could be printed out? I could print it and stick it to a clear static cling sheet and put it next to my MCA, and PITS stickers.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Yeah, There are VMF Decals out there...One of the Admins can help you out with those. Just leave an email in the Admin forum..or even in the General VMF Forum...Someone will answer and help you out....By the way, When you find out, Let me know too...lol... I wouldn't mind a few VMF decals for myself...

"5 pages of conversation and though there are many that do go to car shows, the majority prefer the quick in, quick out access of a Cars & Coffee type event. Many stated they would not do a car show due to an $$ entry fee and then be told what is wrong with their car. And finally, there is the complaint that the older Mustangs do not get the attention due to all the newer Mustangs, Camaros, and Mopars at the show."

Man, Did you hit the "Nail on the Head" with those statement(s).

Also, I've been living here in Melbourne since 2004... and I've been to it all around Central Florida the state as far as Car shows are concerned... The Silver Springs Show did not stop due to low turnout... It stopped due to having horrible weather in January for the last 5-7 Years of the show. Also, The park itself (Silver Springs Venue) was changing hands and the state of Florida took it over. But those are still not all the reasons, Another one was that the last few years had horrible weather and that it was a big production for NPD (Rick Schmidt) to host it ever year. Behind the scenes, It was more work than most people knew. I don't think that it's the last that you will see of the Silver Springs shows... I think sometime down the line, The show will probably be done on sporadic years or something....Don't lose all hope just yet.. Those were great shows with a great venue though when the weather was nice. I loved them..

Also. If you've never gone to an AACA show, Go to one. I love the way that AACA runs car shows. They know their stuff as far as the way shows are run. Some of the best car shows that I've ever been to were AACA shows.. right here in Florida. No lie. They are great AAAA++++!

Here in Melbourne a few years ago, They built the American Musclecar Museum. Check them out on the web. Cool website. It's owned by Mark Pielock (Pet Food Designer and Pet Pharmaceutical mogul). The Museum is great, I've been in there 4 times.. but it's totally private and only opens for Charity events only. However, Mark does do a lot of hosting of local Melbourne Car Shows at his Museum...and Lots of classic stangs and classic cars show up. Check their calendar on their website for good shows. They are definitely worth driving up from Miami to attend.

MCA runs a great show too... and they are getting better. MCA has had National shows in Jacksonville, and in Orlando....They were two of the best shows that I've ever gone too... I took literally 1000's of pics at both...and boy what cars! The only problem is that when both of those shows were held...It was hotter outside than Hell itself...and people really had to brave the heat....but they did and it was worth it...but many (from other areas of the country) said that they'd never return to Florida because it was so hot on those days. Unfortunately, Those two shows were real Heatstroke days... I live in Florida...and I could not believe how hot it got those days... I could not wait to get back to breezy Melbourne.... Orlando is freakin' Land Locked...(You're going to roast no matter what)....and the Jacksonville show really surprised me of how hot it got that day. I'm in my late 40's and thought I was going to pass out...lol...no lie.

Anyway, I just put the 23rd on my Calendar....so I'll see you there...though both of my classics are up on lifts at the moment...They won't be for much longer...

As for Space Coast Mustang Club.....It's a good bunch of people...and there are about 12 Vintage Stangs in the club..as well as a few other vintage Fords...The rest are new mustangs....but they do have a lot of new members with new cars... I do have to say... They have a local events calendar on their website as well..but you have to dig thru the website for it..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Tony K.
I'm in!!

Please go to shows, guys!(especially you guys with the nice ones) So hard to see classics out anymore. They're all languishing in garages and collections. I'm bringing my ugly junk everyplace I can make it, as well as to work as many times as practicable so it can be seen. Too far for this one, but I would go if I was closer!

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.

5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Front disk 4 piston calipers and 8cyl manual steering.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 PM

I'd rather see a car "in procees of restoration", but drivable or an unrestored "beater" '60's to 70's something than any new car at a show. I like new cars too... but when I go to shows... I just want to see Vintage ones... That's just me...

)

Tony K.
665spd likes this.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:30 PM

So far its a no-go for me. My Dad is talking about driving up for my Birthday.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll break this up a bit, too many topics.

Quote:
Yeah, There are VMF Decals out there...One of the Admins can help you out with those. Just leave an email in the Admin forum..or even in the General VMF Forum...Someone will answer and help you out....By the way, When you find out, Let me know too...lol... I wouldn't mind a few VMF decals for myself...
There has been talk and product many times in the past. The most recent was in 2016, but it seems to have ended with 1 person making his own shirts and the group not going anywhere.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...designs-2.html

Quote:
"5 pages of conversation and though there are many that do go to car shows, the majority prefer the quick in, quick out access of a Cars & Coffee type event. Many stated they would not do a car show due to an $$ entry fee and then be told what is wrong with their car. And finally, there is the complaint that the older Mustangs do not get the attention due to all the newer Mustangs, Camaros, and Mopars at the show."

Man, Did you hit the "Nail on the Head" with those statement(s).
There has to be something, many belong to MCA and SAAC and have their cars judged by correctness. There are also other classes that are only cleanliness. But both and in between are the car owners either by score or trophy being told how good, or bad their car is compared to the others in attendance. Seems many of this type of car owner is either not here on VMF, or they are not participating in these conversations.

Quote:
Also, I've been living here in Melbourne since 2004... and I've been to it all around Central Florida the state as far as Car shows are concerned... The Silver Springs Show did not stop due to low turnout... It stopped due to having horrible weather in January for the last 5-7 Years of the show. Also, The park itself (Silver Springs Venue) was changing hands and the state of Florida took it over. But those are still not all the reasons, Another one was that the last few years had horrible weather and that it was a big production for NPD (Rick Schmidt) to host it ever year. Behind the scenes, It was more work than most people knew. I don't think that it's the last that you will see of the Silver Springs shows... I think sometime down the line, The show will probably be done on sporadic years or something....Don't lose all hope just yet.. Those were great shows with a great venue though when the weather was nice. I loved them..
I'll let Rick explain the yearly Silver Springs Show. I can understand that it takes a lot to put something like that on, and that they were doing 3 each year at that!

Quote:
Also. If you've never gone to an AACA show, Go to one. I love the way that AACA runs car shows. They know their stuff as far as the way shows are run. Some of the best car shows that I've ever been to were AACA shows.. right here in Florida. No lie. They are great AAAA++++!
Again, different areas have different quality of shows. They have participated in several of the local shows and as I look at their calendar I see activity, but can honestly say they are not really advertised in the local area.

Quote:
Here in Melbourne a few years ago, They built the American Musclecar Museum. Check them out on the web. Cool website. It's owned by Mark Pielock (Pet Food Designer and Pet Pharmaceutical mogul). The Museum is great, I've been in there 4 times.. but it's totally private and only opens for Charity events only. However, Mark does do a lot of hosting of local Melbourne Car Shows at his Museum...and Lots of classic stangs and classic cars show up. Check their calendar on their website for good shows. They are definitely worth driving up from Miami to attend.
I had not even heard of the Museum down here in Miami until it was mentioned that it was going to be the location of a 2020 MCA Regional show. Looks like an interesting place. I have traveled to attend shows for many many years. I went to the Weeks Air Museum before he made it private, I went to the Cypress Gardens Mustang shows back in the day, and even something in the Orlando area called the Florida Festival.

Quote:
MCA runs a great show too... and they are getting better. MCA has had National shows in Jacksonville, and in Orlando....They were two of the best shows that I've ever gone too... I took literally 1000's of pics at both...and boy what cars! The only problem is that when both of those shows were held...It was hotter outside than Hell itself...and people really had to brave the heat....but they did and it was worth it...but many (from other areas of the country) said that they'd never return to Florida because it was so hot on those days. Unfortunately, Those two shows were real Heatstroke days... I live in Florida...and I could not believe how hot it got those days... I could not wait to get back to breezy Melbourne.... Orlando is freakin' Land Locked...(You're going to roast no matter what)....and the Jacksonville show really surprised me of how hot it got that day. I'm in my late 40's and thought I was going to pass out...lol...no lie.
MCA uses the local clubs for a lot of the legwork, but I am sure MCA also supplies a lot of their own as they do have an image they need to keep up with. A National show can be a big event, I am sure it is something that can overwhelm a small local club.

Quote:
Anyway, I just put the 23rd on my Calendar....so I'll see you there...though both of my classics are up on lifts at the moment...They won't be for much longer...

As for Space Coast Mustang Club.....It's a good bunch of people...and there are about 12 Vintage Stangs in the club..as well as a few other vintage Fords...The rest are new mustangs....but they do have a lot of new members with new cars... I do have to say... They have a local events calendar on their website as well..but you have to dig thru the website for it..

)

Tony K.
You can look a the calendars of many of the local clubs and see they have a set event every 3rd Friday of every month, and then another event every 2nd Tuesday of every month. That's nice, but you don't always get the club turnout at these types of events as you do when you have a yearly or quarterly event. These monthly events are usually short in duration, and during the week when people work, so usually are scheduled later in the day or evening which makes it hard for people who live a distance from the location to attend. This is the reason for my choice to attend this event on the 23rd, it's on a weekend and I do want to put my car in the show, not just stop by.

I grew up with car shows happening all over the place, and as I am in South Florida, our car season is very long, if not all year long. When I was in my car clubs when I was in my teens and into my early 20's, I went to a lot of shows, events. Members of the clubs went to events, drag racing, dinner at a drive-in, etc. We traveled as a group to MCA and SAAC events in other states. After Andrew, I was always a passenger as the clubs did events as my car build had been put on an indefinite hold. Then I noticed that there were fewer shows, both near and far, as there used to be. I get my car finished and many of the major events, shows are no more. I am envious of those in Texas that get together and have a moving event every year, or head off to Hot August Nights, American Graffiti together every year. We have events like that here on the east coast. PITS had close to 700 Mustangs this year, but I was the only VMF member in attendance, the only person from Florida that I am aware of. Next is Mustang Week, and again, I do not know of anyone from VMF, or from Florida that is going. We still have time for MW though, so things may happen.

Guess what it boils down to is, I now have my car ready for the shows and events that I missed in my past, and I am missing that.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Space Coast Mustang Club has just posted another show on their FB page, at Hooters off Palm Bay Drive and I-95, just 1/2 mile from the Harley Davidson Show. HD show is 11am - 3pm and the Hooters show is 12pm - 4pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoot.jpg (126.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hoothar.jpg (244.5 KB, 0 views)

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Yeah, That "Hooters" car show is literally just across the street, though you have to cross Palm Bay Road and go down 1 block. The Hooters show is right on the Palm Bay Road highway, but the Harley Davidson show is on the other side of the road and down 1 block in order to enter into the Harley Davidson show area... Your best bet is to just get off at the Palm Bay exit onto Palm Bay Road. Google Map it so that you can see the area..

See you on Sunday! I'll stop by your car and introduce myself if I see your car there.. It's hard to miss!

PS: Did you ever see the Fantomworks (D.R.S) episode where they restore an original '70 Shelby GT500!?? Season 6, Episode 3, You have to see it.. Great stuff..

See here... although, You may have to pay .99 cents from Amazon to watch the episode.....Well worth it!

https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/fant...shelby/561729/

Also, Check out this episode of "Barn Find Hunter" (Tom Cotter) when he finds a 1970 Shelby convertible in a garage..! (This one's FREE!)

Enjoy..!

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-21-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page