Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration) - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Re: Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

That might be it considering I paid just $19. I just got off work so DMV will have to wait till tomorrow.

Neil

Josh 24:15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

UPDATE:
I just got a notice in the mail from the local DMV office (not Sacramento) that I need to come in to pay an additional $10 (they charged me only $35 when I went in). The saga continues...

~Daniel

"No trees have been killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons have been inconvenienced."

Founding member, Inland Empire Classic Mustang Club (Vice Pres. 2007-2009)
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Garage
I did my paperwork on July 2 and paid the correct amount. Still no word whether my plate has been accepted...

1989 Saleen Convertible #243
1966 Mustang Coupe
1965 Fastback C Code
1951 F1 Pick Up

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:21 AM

Any updates (Successes...)? Still waiting on mine, about 3 1/2 weeks so far.

Dave

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM

OK, a little update since I spent yesterday morning "communing" with the DMV...
I went in under the premise of just having to pay an additional $10 (over the $35 I paid the first time I went in). However, I was then told that the paperwork was not completed (by the original DMV guy), and had not been submitted to Sacramento, either. The woman I got seemed a bit more knowledgeable than the first guy, and felt that everything was covered by the time I left. She now submits to Sac., and I wait to hear from them. She told me it could be 3-4 MONTHS!
A couple of points that I posted on another site that's not quite as knowledgeable about this stuff as most of us are here:
A. I know this seems pretty elementary, but you MUST have both (matching) plates.
B. They look them over VERY carefully to verify originality. (keep in mind this is my second time in, and they still got scrutinized very carefully. again.)
C. In furtherance to the above, buying one original and having a repro plate made as the second will NOT fly.
D. Most importantly, as I was told this time is do NOT have the plates reconditioned before you go. They will NOT accept them. They MUST be in "original" condition. (although, I'd say that might be a tough call/subject to interpretation, that was the info given to me, so why push it?)

I know some of this may sound pretty obvious (but then again, maybe not), but there have been an awful lot of suggestions and conjecture out there on other sites about getting plates accepted. Just throwing out my first-hand info...so good luck, guys. Unfortunately, it appears that there are a lot of completely different experiences happening out there depending on what office you go to.

~Daniel

post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Daniel- It appears that you and I had the same DMV rep

My first time at the DMV, I was told by the rep that it was just $19 to process. That was the first goof.

Last month, I received the letter from the DMV saying it was declined, not sure why.

Today, i spent 2 hrs 12min at the Vista DMV. I asked why it was declined, she said that 1) the fee was incorrect-DUH! And 2)the YOM form was not sent-Second Goof from the first DMV rep

I ended up paying the diff of $26 on top of the $19 I paid earlier. She also asked to make copies of the plate as well as inspecting the plates with another rep. I made certain the YOM form was attached...we'll see in 2 or 3 months.

Neil

Josh 24:15
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I'm beginning to wish that I'd waited a while so the reps knew a little more about the process, maybe saving all these hassles.
BTW, my total came out to $47 ($12 more, not $10 like my notice said) - and yours was $45? WTH?
Well, good luck to all -

~Daniel

post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

It sounds like the DMV is finally getting caught up to the YOM applications--I've heard of a few people getting their approval or denial notifications from Sacramento.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 PM

I am still waiting--my "temporary sticker" expires next week.

Dave

1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX

Here are my cars:
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 AM

Oh man...what a bummer.
I got the YOM application processed in mid-July at the Thousand Oaks DMV. Ive waited patiently and I havent driven my car because Ive been out of town.
Well I noticed the temp reg they issued me had expired so I go to the Palmdale DMV and they tell me to call Sacramento...I go to the Lancaster DMV and they happily assist me and give me my registration stickers...for the plates that WERE on my car. I tell them that the reason Im there was to get the original plates YOM registered. So they tell me to call Sacramento.
I get home and call Sacramento...and Im told there is no record of the transaction and Ill have to apply again. Apparently they think my $45 just disappeared...I dont think so.
So Im returning to the Thousand Oaks DMV (where I started) and Im going to re-apply...
Sheesh....!

Joe

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Do you have proof of payment, like a canceled check or credit card statement? That really bites! Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedom
Success!!
I went to the Thousand Oaks DMV today and got my plates registered. No stickers needed and the worker knew exactly what to do...and he did it with a smile!!
I take back all the bad things I said about the DMV...well most of it.
Thanks for all the input.
Joe
Care to take back the take back of all the bad things you said about the DMV?

Frank

post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM

I finally found time to call the DMV today about my plates. What a morass Two numbers, two different people, two different lengthy hold times, and one number that was constantly busy over 45 minutes of trying--the result was "we can take a message to relay to the special plates department and they will call you back in 3 days. However, you should go to your local DMV and get an updated temporary sticker." Humpf--another hour or more of waiting to renew the f-ing temporary sticker?!?!? It been over 2 months, process the damn request already! Grrrrr End rant for now...

(I will pick the rant back up when some schmuck calls and leaves a non-informative message that they "missed me when they called, call back and try again" on Friday or Monday...)

The only bright side is the car is nowhere near driveable. But my wife is tired of me asking, every day, whether the DMV paperwork has arrived. I just can't help myself!

Dave

1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX

Here are my cars:
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustycurmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedom
I take back all the bad things I said about the DMV...
Care to take back the take back of all the bad things you said about the DMV?

Frank
Yep I take back all the nice things I said about DMV...their not cool.
I received my original application in the mail today; denied because I had the wrong color year sticker attached. So apparently I need a 1965 sticker to make this work...didnt you say that Frank??

Joe

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 PM

I am still amazed that they expect you to have the correct year sticker. While it looks authentic, how do they know if the car is current driving down the road? And how many plates still have the original sticker on them? Just seems stupid.

Dave

1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX

Here are my cars:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page