Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration) - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

This is a holdover from the previous YOM program. The black on yellow '56 base plates need the proper renewal sticker as well.

When the DMV approves your YOM application, they'll send you your new year and month stickers, and they should also send you some aluminum tabs that are meant to hold the new stickers, thus keeping the vintage date sticker visible. I've read of some people not receiving the aluminum tabs, though.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 AM

Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

Well, visited DMV yesterday. 6th time for this YOM thing; Visit 1) Denied on the spot because my plates are 1963 plates not 1965 (meathead at the counter thought the "63" stamp meant just that). Visit 2) App processed..I brought in my plates bare...no stickers at all. Knucklehead at the counter wrote in that my sticker was yellow (?). Visit 3) Waited 2 months and visited to see what was up..turned back and told to call Sac. Visit 4) At another office I was gladly informed that the process was done and I was issued a set of stickers...for my old plates (?)
In between visits 4 and 5 I called Sac and was told that the transaction wasnt found. So...visit 5) Went back to original DMV office and they too had lost track of my paperwork and the transacation disappeared. Manager said that she would check with Sac herself and call me later. No call. Ever.
That very day I got a letter in the mail with my original app and little yellow sticky. "Denied" because wrong color sticker. And a refund check.
Visit 6) I acquired a 1965 sticker from Frank and returned to DMV. Clueless clerk took one (1) hour to do the paperwork...he was afraid of his own shadow and was extra cautious and asked his supervisor 20 questions. But all looked good and the app was processed. I made sure he wrote in the correct color sticker on the app in my presence.
Sooooooo....we'll see.
I think that if this is denied again Im giving up. Too much time expended for my square,under-appreciated, non-collectable, not-a-Mustang old Mercury. :p
Thanks again Frank!!
Joe

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Re: Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

I'm sure you'll get it and if you don't get it...don't give up!

Neil

Neil

Josh 24:15

post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Grin

SUCCESS!! I received my registration and stickers today for my YOM plates! Woooo Hoooo

Dave

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

What can I say.....

1. I'm glad i kept my original plates (when many of my bud's said- get the custom ones- back in the 80's)

2. I feel for anyone going through this process

3. It isn't just DMV that operates this way. My wife is a notary & had to take her re-cert test this year, her license expires in November....

Well, she signed up with the state to take the test in July
She was notified in September that she passed.
She called for 4 days to find out where her documentation was so she could buy her bond, liability insurance and get her new stamp, which has to be filed with LA County before it can be ordered.....
SAC says they don't ship anything out until 30 days befor the expiration
3 weeks befor her license expires the docs are shipped.

When you figure

90% of DMV staff is part time and has a avg tenure of less than 2 years...

They are only paid once a month & they are always 1 paycheck behind (meaning they work for 2 months befor recieving their 1st pay check)

When they are reduced to 4 day work weeks & told they loose an additional 2 days each month due to furlows

When they are recieving IOU's for their monthly paychecks

When they still have the same quantity of work to complete yet DMV staff has been continuously reduced annually.

It's a wonder anyone even shows up to open the doors in the morning!

just MHO
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

What can I say.....

1. I'm glad i kept my original plates (when many of my bud's said- get the custom ones- back in the 80's)

2. I feel for anyone going through this process

3. It isn't just DMV that operates this way. My wife is a notary & had to take her re-cert test this year, her license expires in November....

Well, she signed up with the state to take the test in July
She was notified in September that she passed.
She called for 4 days to find out where her documentation was so she could buy her bond, liability insurance and get her new stamp, which has to be filed with LA County before it can be ordered.....
SAC says they don't ship anything out until 30 days befor the expiration
3 weeks befor her license expires the docs are shipped.

When you figure

90% of DMV staff is part time and has a avg tenure of less than 2 years...

They are only paid once a month & they are always 1 paycheck behind (meaning they work for 2 months befor recieving their 1st pay check)

When they are reduced to 4 day work weeks & told they loose an additional 2 days each month due to furlows

When they are recieving IOU's for their monthly paychecks

When they still have the same quantity of work to complete yet DMV staff has been continuously reduced annually.

It's a wonder anyone even shows up to open the doors in the morning!

just MHO
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM

I got my stickers today WOO HOO! I did get some additional parts with my stickers...metal thingy's. I think I know what it is but not sure...

Neil

Josh 24:15
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnath View Post
I did get some additional parts with my stickers...metal thingy's. I think I know what it is but not sure...
Glad to hear you got your stickers--funny, but I didn't get any metal thingys with my stickers...

Dave

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

I've been hearing that some are getting the metal tabs and some aren't. They're for the current year sticker and month sticker, so you can keep the vintage year sticker visible on the plate. The metal tabs mount behind the plate and hang down off the bottom or stick up over the top.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Confused

Man O Man! The saga continues. What a wonderful display of DMV poop-ness!
Ive gone to the DMV for YOM reg around 7-8 times this year. The last time was really good...the clerk was actually a car guy and he understood the idea of the YOM program if not the mechanicals of the process.
So we go through it (again!)...and everyting is good to go. I leave happy, he feels intelligent and off we go. 1.5 months later I receive a large DMV envelope from Sac...Im excited!
In it are all my original papers and the application that we completed that day and a rejection letter. Reason for rejection? The clerk FORGOT TO COMPLETE THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE APP! No signature or anything! He sent it off to Sac that way after all the research he did in front of me! Holy Moly I was flabbergasted-frustrated-aghast-disappointed-sad-angry.
Off to DMV again. My wife assisted me. She doesnt stand in any lines, walks right up to the supervisor and explains the situation. The sup remembers my visit (!) and finds the clerk/clown and has him sign it in front of us...and off it goes to Sac in the mail (again). It took 5 minutes. I would have stood in line for hours and been laughed at and given the run around...!
So I await the next chapter...
I started this July 3. Many visits later Im still at square one. Bad luck? Bad Karma? Doomed to failure? I dont know

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:

post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Its a miracle!!
I finally received my sticker (1) yesterday. I received the year sticker and a registration printout with my YOM plates. I did not receive a month sticker though, so one more trip to DMV is in order.
The DMV is pretty close when they say 90 days to process.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks again for the sticker Frank!!

Joe

Currently own:

post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome, Joe.

Getting the month sticker is a relatively easy task, just go up to the "start here" counter with your registration and tell them you need a month sticker. If they don't give it to you right there, they should direct you straight to a window. You shouldn't have to wait.

Frank

post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM

Joe (jmd66fb),

Please describe what you did to make this work. I have an old set of black/gold plates and wish to get them on my Mustang.

Where did you do this? Thousand Oaks? (near me, me hopes was there)

Did you scrape off the stickers down to 1965,

Did you have an old registration form showing the plate is tied to your car?

What was the condition of the plates?

Links-R-Us...
Steve Leslie, 65 cpe, 302, toploader, A/C, orig disc brakes, bench seat, tri-bars, tri-Ys, I need tri-power! 356,000 miles (4/12/2010)

1965 Ford Mustang - All Weather Fighter
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxsteve View Post
Joe (jmd66fb),

Please describe what you did to make this work. I have an old set of black/gold plates and wish to get them on my Mustang.

Where did you do this? Thousand Oaks? (near me, me hopes was there)

Did you scrape off the stickers down to 1965,

Did you have an old registration form showing the plate is tied to your car?

What was the condition of the plates?
I ended up doing the final paperwork in the Lancaster office...but it doesnt matter. All the field office does is to make sure the paperwork is correct. Then it gets sent to Sacramento where they will stare at it for three months.
My plates are in OK condition...DMV only requires them to be original and legible.
I had no stickers to speak of...the ones on the plates were no good for me so I obtained a year sticker from Frank (see above post), stuck it on and went to the DMV.
I dont have any paperwork showing that the plates are tied to the car...and it isnt required. Only requirement is that the plate series is compatible to the year of your car.
BTW the T.O. DMV clerks were very helpful and patient you shouldnt have any problems there. The Oxnard DMV gave me some problems though.
Some advice..have the application ready and filled out, bring your title and registration papers and both plates. And be patient...took me 7 months to complete.
Good luck.
Joe

Currently own:

post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 PM

It is my understanding you have to submit the existing plates on the car when you do this.

Do you also have to submit the black/gold plates?

What do you use to drive the car while this 'process' is going on?

Thanks for the help.

I have an appointment on Mar 29 in TO to do this and need to know (if I can't drive the car, i'll cnx as I'm going to Knott's in April!)....

Links-R-Us...
Steve Leslie, 65 cpe, 302, toploader, A/C, orig disc brakes, bench seat, tri-bars, tri-Ys, I need tri-power! 356,000 miles (4/12/2010)

1965 Ford Mustang - All Weather Fighter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page