Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration) - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

Well, July 1st is finally here. I've started this thread to get input from VMF'ers who have been to the DMV to get their black plates YOM registered. I'd like to hear how the procedure went, any problems, DMV clerks knowledgeable, etc. I'd also like to know what year your car is and the first letter of the plates. Also, did you have a year sticker on the back plate to match the model year? If not, were you able to get the plates registered?

Thanks for your input.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

Here's a link to the form you'll need to fill out.

It appears that only black plates will be acceptable for cars. Black or blue plates are acceptable for trucks.

There was some speculation that very early blue plates might be acceptable for YOM, because the law didn't say anything about the plate color. That they're accepting blue plates for trucks is an error, in my opinion, because black plates went to '72 for trucks. Somebody interpreted the law incorrectly. So if you want blue plates on your '70 to '72 truck, you better hurry in case they fix the error.

Frank

1967 Saddle/Burnt Amber coupe, C-code T5 5-spd replaced the 4-spd, 302 replaced the 289.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Garage
I registered my black plates today. I only ran into one issue which was corrected on the spot by bringing the car out of Non Op status. I had to turn in my current plates, she verfied the black plates, I took the car out of Non op status, provided proof of insurance and the it was done at that point. I spent a whole 15 minutes at the counter.

1989 Saleen Convertible #243
1966 Mustang Coupe
1965 Fastback C Code
1951 F1 Pick Up

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM

Garage
They did not require the year sticker at my local DMV.

1966 Mustang Coupe
1965 Fastback C Code
1951 F1 Pick Up
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Your experiences with the DMV (YOM registration)

First attempt: complete failure.
I went to the Oxnard DMV (first mistake) today and it started well. The nice older woman helping me was convinced that all was well with the plates I was trying to register. They are "R" series black plates for my 65 Comet.
Well her over caffeinated and hyper co-worker walks up and says "Why is he trying to register 1963 plates to a 1965 vehicle?"
I told her the base plate is 63 but the number series is correct for the car. She insisted that they were 63 plates because of the "63" stamped on the plates. I tried to explain the numbering sequence...that the series started with AAA-000 etc but she wouldnt listen. I asked for the supervisor, he called Sacramento and they agreed that I was trying to register 63 plates to a 65 vehicle. Also, he said I needed dated tags for the plates...I said B.S. and I showed him a copy of the new law. No go. And the nosy hyper-active counter worker then said "you need a metal tag that attaches to the corner of the plate!" Huh!?!? I was done for when the knucklehead manager said "Im not going to argue sir... call Sacramento."
Observations: The law is vague. It says the the DMV will determine a plates validity by checking with enthusiast organizations and car clubs. BS. Who would do that? Sacramento? The local office?
And a question: it comes down to the letter series being correct for the year vehicle. How can I prove this? Where does it say that 63 vehicles are A-D and 65's are N, P, Q, and R?
I need some documentation for that one.
So... I have plenty of other DMV offices to try. Thousand Oaks next, then Simi Valley, then the San Fernando Valley and Palmdale and Lancaster. Ill get them registered.
More to come.
Joe

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedom
First attempt: complete failure.
I went to the Oxnard DMV (first mistake) today and it started well. The nice older woman helping me was convinced that all was well with the plates I was trying to register. They are "R" series black plates for my 65 Comet.
Well her over caffeinated and hyper co-worker walks up and says "Why is he trying to register 1963 plates to a 1965 vehicle?"
I told her the base plate is 63 but the number series is correct for the car. She insisted that they were 63 plates because of the "63" stamped on the plates. I tried to explain the numbering sequence...that the series started with AAA-000 etc but she wouldnt listen. I asked for the supervisor, he called Sacramento and they agreed that I was trying to register 63 plates to a 65 vehicle. Also, he said I needed dated tags for the plates...I said B.S. and I showed him a copy of the new law. No go. And the nosy hyper-active counter worker then said "you need a metal tag that attaches to the corner of the plate!" Huh!?!? I was done for when the knucklehead manager said "Im not going to argue sir... call Sacramento."
Observations: The law is vague. It says the the DMV will determine a plates validity by checking with enthusiast organizations and car clubs. BS. Who would do that? Sacramento? The local office?
And a question: it comes down to the letter series being correct for the year vehicle. How can I prove this? Where does it say that 63 vehicles are A-D and 65's are N, P, Q, and R?
I need some documentation for that one.
So... I have plenty of other DMV offices to try. Thousand Oaks next, then Simi Valley, then the San Fernando Valley and Palmdale and Lancaster. Ill get them registered.
More to come.
Joe
Joe-
This is what I thought might happen. The law says the plates need to be correct for the model year of the car. Some people have thought that means that the number sequence would need to fall in the "correct" range for the model year. I think that in reality they need to see the correct year sticker on the rear plate (ie: a '65 sticker for a '65 car). I think they really don't care about the number sequence on the plates. One VMF member reported that his DMV office didn't require the year sticker.

You have to think like a clueless DMV clerk. Some are more knowledgeable than others.

Frank

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 AM

I went this afternoon to the Vista DMV. DMV rep was not aware of the new law, he didn't attend the meeting the day before

The whole process took about 10 min and he allowed me to keep my white plate(He kept the non reg plate) and he charged me just $19. I asked if I would get my tags today and he said "No, it may take 2-3 months before you get them". I did get the temporary red registration though.

All in all...not a bad day, much smoother than I expected but I think that those who try to register YOM plates may have the same experience so wait a bit until the DMV figures it all out.

Frank...Thanks again for the plates !

Neil

Josh 24:15
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 AM

Garage
I actually took a copy of the law and educated my dmv counter help. They made calls to SAC and looked up some codes. Now the assignment of the plate does come from SAC and you will not get a sticker or new registration until it comes from SAC. SAC has to review the request and sign off on the transfer. The they will forward you a new year sticker and full registration listing the new plate.

1966 Mustang Coupe
1965 Fastback C Code
1951 F1 Pick Up
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

$19? You made out well--they should have charged you $45.

Did you have the year sticker on the plate when you went in?

edit: Just for the sake of others, your plates started with B and went on a '65, so in your case they didn't care about the plate sequence. That's not to say another DMV clerk or office won't care about the plate sequence.

I hope to see your Mustang some day with your new plates.

Frank

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustycurmudgeon
Joe-
This is what I thought might happen. The law says the plates need to be correct for the model year of the car. Some people have thought that means that the number sequence would need to fall in the "correct" range for the model year. I think that in reality they need to see the correct year sticker on the rear plate (ie: a '65 sticker for a '65 car). I think they really don't care about the number sequence on the plates. One VMF member reported that his DMV office didn't require the year sticker.

You have to think like a clueless DMV clerk. Some are more knowledgeable than others.

Frank
Thats funny...I mean they expect a 65 sticker on 65 plates? So when the year 65 was up they expected that the vehicle wouldnt be registered in 66 with the same plates...with the required 66 sticker? And 67 and 68 through the 70's?? Seems a bit out of touch with reality.
That clown show brings a smile to my face
Im on a mission to find a very nice clueless DMV clerk that will process a set of ancient plates that no one cares about on an ancient car that no one cares about (except me).
Sheesh!!...its not like Im trying to change the plates over on a $500,000 Ferrari!!
Im going to give'em hell next week.

Joe

Past Mustangs: 66 Fastback 289/4spd, 2 65 Coupes with 289s, 66 Coupe 289/C4. All gone away!

Currently own:

post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Good luck. Remember, the DMV didn't want this law to pass in the first place. And they're not the happiest people in the world right now (they never are). You might check with 65FB331 to see where he went. He said that there was no problem at his DMV.

Frank

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Good luck. Remember, the DMV didn't want this law to pass in the first place. And they're not the happiest people in the world right now (they never are). You might check with 65FB331 to see where he went. He said that there was no problem at his DMV.

Frank
Thats strange, you'd think the extra revenue to the DMV would be welcome.
Thanks for the info Frank. Ill keep y'all posted.

BTW, I dont own a Mustang these days but my Ford obsession started with a 65 289 3spd coupe. I recently restored a 66 Fastback that I sold to buy a house and Ive owned several 65/66s.
So now Im fixing up this little 65 Comet (which has much in common with the early Mustangs).
Just to let you guys know that Im not some Mercury Driving Mustang Forum Infiltrator :p

Currently own:

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedom
Thats strange, you'd think the extra revenue to the DMV would be welcome.
This means more work for them...they have the next 3 Fridays off with no pay...they're getting IOU's...they're not very happy right now.

Frank

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Good luck. Remember, the DMV didn't want this law to pass in the first place.
Law enforcement was also against this law as they didn't want reflectorized plates being replaced.

paulw
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM

Success!!
I went to the Thousand Oaks DMV today and got my plates registered. No stickers needed and the worker knew exactly what to do...and he did it with a smile!!
I take back all the bad things I said about the DMV...well most of it.
Thanks for all the input.
Joe

Currently own:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page