Media/bead/sand blasting in the LA/OC area? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Media/bead/sand blasting in the LA/OC area?

Can anyone give me a recommendation to a place that can do this for me? Chemical stripping the FOUR LAYERS of different colored paint by hand in my garage isn't cutting it.

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:45 AM

OC Sandblasting in Orange, Ca if they are still in business. I had my car bead blasted about 8 years ago and it had 5 or so different paint jobs on it. Back then it cost a cool $600. By the way, do not have the hood or deck lid bead blasted, they will warp.

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 AM

They are still listed so maybe they are still there. I wonder if Don is there anymore...probably retired. He had just bought an original 63 Galaxie 427 in restorable condition when I had my car bead blasted.

They used a combo of walnut shells and beads by the way and it did warp the hood and deck lid. Hood was totally wasted but the deck lid was not too bad and I was able to reuse it. Hood was no big deal though, it was not in very good shape to begin with. Otherwise, they did a good job.

Be sure to get the major body work done right away and then get it sprayed with a catalized primer to protect the metal from rusting (or painted if that is how you're going to do it). I had the bottom and wheel wells blasted also and then primered. Later on, sprayed a good quality rubberized undercoat on them.

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Might also consider VIP Sandblasting in West LA (west of 405 and north of LAX). 310-422-7605 and ask for Angelo.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to frontshadow
I decided to do my engine compartment, undercarriage and all suspension parts, under fenders, and trunk compartment, myself. I bought a sandblaster and did it
in parts. Doing the undercarriage was the longest part. I put the car on a lift, dropped plastic from the car sides to the floor and blasted everything in about 3 hours. All of it turned out very well. I was well pleased and the blaster paid for itself.
I'd do another if ever the opportunity came along.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM

3M Clean and Strip pads, Makita grinder. You can never get rid of 100% of the media, and some of it will wind up in your paint no matter what you do.

"Whether we agree or not is up to us. Its your money and your ideas thats important to your porject.

Just don't say no one didn't tell you the problems they had with one." -6sally6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page