Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Southwest VMFers (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/southwest-vmfers/)
-   -   Travel Recommendations in the Tucson Area (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/southwest-vmfers/531673-travel-recommendations-tucson-area.html)

fstbk1968 10-19-2006 08:18 PM

Hey there, Arizona VMFers!

It looks like we'll be spending a week of vacation in the Tucson area in early January. We're still in the planning stages but I thought I'd get some input from you guys. Does anybody have any hotel and destination recommendations? And, perhaps more importantly, any ones I should stay away from?

It will be me, my SWMBO, and my 12-year old son. I think we're already planning on going to old Tucson and Kitt Peak Observatory.

So let me hear your ideas!

Laurie_S 10-19-2006 10:02 PM

The hotels depend on what you're willing to spend. On the high end is Westward Look, La Paloma, Ventana Canyon, El Conquistador--all very, very nice. There are others in a little lower price range, but still good, like the Holiday Inn Palo Verde where my club holds its annual show. Just stay away from South Tucson and the westside by Interstate 10.

If you're sightseeing, two things you absolutely can't miss are the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum and the Mission San Xavier del Bac. Then there's the Pima Air Museum, Mount Lemmon, Mount Graham (observatory), and a whole other bunch of places.

The weather is changing now where it's the most beautiful time of year. Mid to lower 80s during the day, 50s at night.

And, if you have the time, and are interested, stop on by and see Murphy and Trouble. ;)

fstbk1968 10-20-2006 12:35 PM

Thanks for the input, Laurie!

Apparently my wife already had the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum and the Mission San Xavier del Bac on her list, so it's good get confirmation that these are good places to see. I will pass along your other recommendations; I think my son and I would like the air museum.

Update: apparently we can get a pretty good deal staying at Esplendor Resort at Rio Rico. I do realize that it's about an hour out of Tucson, but it looks like a pretty nice resort. Have you heard of this place? If so, what have you heard? Good, bad?

Got any restaurant recommendations? We're pretty adventurous, so it might be fun to sample some of the local specialties.

If time and schedule permits, I'd love to stop by to see the famous Murphy and the infamous Trouble. My wife and son are getting used meeting up with local VMFers when we travel! :)

Cheo 10-21-2006 09:54 AM

If you have the time, don't forget driving down to Tombstone, pretty good restaurants there. If you're in the mood for a good in the middle of nowhere "cattle country" place, Steak Out restaurant in Sonoita, one of the best in Southern AZ, and a great drive from Tucson. I'm about 80 miles south of Tucson, a bit out of the way, but you're welcome to see my Mustangs stable if you have the time and are in the area :).

therancheroguy 10-21-2006 11:24 AM

Mi Nidito's
It's the best Mexican restaurant in Tucson. My spelling is probabally way off, though.

Laurie_S 10-21-2006 11:30 PM

I haven't heard of the resort, but then I've never stopped at Rio Rico. I understand that area is really developing now.

My favorite restaurants in town: Macayos for Mexican, Chad's for steak, Tanque Verde Guest Ranch for the most awesome Sunday brunch buffet, and a whole bunch more.

fstbk1968 10-23-2006 10:58 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for the tips! Us Chicago folks are pretty particular when it comes to steaks, but I know it's cattle country out there so our expectations are going to be high. :)
SWMBO is putting together our itineary, so we'll see what fits. I may ask you guys to review it to make sure we're not taking on too much. (Hopefully I'll have some time to stop by and see you guys) I'm really looking forward to this trip as it's been quite a while since I've been to your neck of the woods.

Hiker 10-26-2006 11:11 PM

Your coming down here and we're heading up to Chicago in two weeks. We'll be headin west though, over to the Quad city area. Looking forward to some of that cornfed beef.
As for Tucson, Laurie and the others just about covered the good spots. Don't forget about Tubac, south of Tucson, kind of an artzy fartzy community with high end southwest artwork and gallerys. Titan Missle museum is different if you're into different....lol. The Pima Air Museum is really cool. Not the place to go in the middle of the summer, but this time of the year is perfect...bring your camera. The drive up Catalina Mountains is great too. There's a nice restuarant on top.

fstbk1968 10-27-2006 02:11 PM

Thanks for the tips. My wife keeps mentioning Tubac and I keep changing the subject. :) Actually I have no objections to it, just being a little uncooperative; we've got to keep thos SWMBOs on their toes. We were also talking about the missle museum; is it really just a a bunch of different missles? I'm looking forward to the scenery; things are pretty flat around here.

Be sure to bring a warm jacket or coat when you head this way. It's been on the chilly side lately; mid 40s to low 50s for a high and 30s at night. Of course that all can change in heartbeat. A couple of Sundays ago, I was at the dragstrip (Byron wheelstanding competition) and it was 75. The following Thursday,it snowed and was upper 20s for the high.

Laurie_S 10-27-2006 03:17 PM

The Titan Missile Museum is an actual Titan missile silo that you go down into. No missiles other than in displays.

Tubac is okay, but I'm not into the artsy crowd so I don't go there or Sedona anymore.

Sportsroof1970 11-26-2006 02:01 AM

Great suggestions by everyone so far! I just wanted to add a couple of things:

Colossal Cave is pretty cool if you are looking for something near Tucson that takes only a couple of hours in total to do. http://www.colossalcave.com/welcome.html. Bioshphere 2 is also not far from Tucson, although I've not checked it out yet.

As far as food goes, if you like Mexican, try Poca Cosa Cafe or Guadalajara Grill. El Charro is also pretty good. These are local Tucson favorites.

For the best breakfast in Tucson, try Blue Willow.

I'd suggest checking this guide for other best of Tucson stuff that we haven't covered, it's usually pretty good: http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/Best/index

Have fun, Tucson is a nice little city that packs in a lot of great food and things to do. :thumbup:

rimcrew 11-26-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsroof1970
Have fun, Tucson is a nice little city that packs in a lot of great food and things to do. :thumbup:

And just hosted a GREAT college football game (sorry Laurie)!!

fstbk1968 12-07-2006 02:15 PM

Thanks for the links and tips. Now that it's really winter here (it's currently 9* F), I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Cheers! (to a fellow Guinness drinker (presumably))

MachoneKing 12-21-2006 06:06 PM

I don't know if they are still in business, in the 80's I always felt one of the best steaks in Tucson was at the Silver Saddle Steak House off sixth street and the I-10 enterance. Not a great neighborhood but a GREAT STEAK!

Bill, Las Vegas Nevada

Laurie_S 12-21-2006 08:07 PM

I don't know if they're still there, but the freeway exit/entrance at 6th/St. Mary's has been gone for several years. :)