Arizona people - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about relo to AZ. What can you tell me about Fountain Hills.

MCA 64897
67 GTA Fastback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:29 AM

$$$$$$$

Expect to pay over $150-$200+/sqft for something average.

$200-$300+/sqft with views.

Fountain Hills has some amazing views.

Are you retiring there?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Supporting Member

I don't live there, but my sister lives just outside Fountain Hills. I personally love AZ for the views, weather slong with other features. I personally enjoy Tucson a little better, but there is nothing wrong with Phoenix. (and Fountain Hills)

As stated it seems a little pricey, but sometimes the right view makes it more than worth it.

1968 Coupe, In progress
1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe 5.0l; 10:1 compression; 650 Speed Demon, and Close ratio Toploader

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 PM

Here's one I found with some super views, hilltop home for around $600K...3000sqft

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Not retiring, too young. Fortunately, a good part of my business can be done anywhere. Until I get to the areas and see for myself what they are like, I may be asking more question. Prescott still is in consideration.

I have several realtors sending me info. New construction is outrages pricewise, but resales are not too bad. Views would be nice, but quality of life is just or more important

I am wanting to be close enough to the action, but not live in the middle of it. That is why Fountain Hills may be right for me.

Those prices don't scare me. Right now, property here in Florida is averaging 200-250/sq. To see the ocean is double that. The killer is HO insurance. This year, even though I am 12 miles from the coast, it will be $4500. YIKES!

As they say, that is the price for living in Paradise . . . bunk!

MCA 64897
67 GTA Fastback
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM

I have a second home in Prescott (son going to college) and the winters are a bit cold. Be ready for snow and temp's in the teens for long periods of time. Great people and community but you experience the seasons.

Rick Allen/Prescott Valley, AZ
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 PM

Ouch.... HO Ins is cheap here along with taxes. We pay about $700/year ins and and $1700/year taxes for close to a half mil home.

Fountain Hills is a beautiful place to live, just on the edge of all the big city hub-bub. Not too far from all the action yet quiet enough to enjoy peaceful evenings. I would love to live out there but it's alittle too far for my wife to drive to the university daily.

Stay away from places like Anthem, Verado, and Estrella Park. The traffic will kill ya...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

allengram, I moved from PA, so winters experience wouldn't kill me. From what I had seen and heard about Prescott, it seems like it would be a great place to live, without having the scorching summers. I can probably deal with the heat, since Florida is generally a bit warm, difference is, summertime humidity runs 90-100%.

Hiker, I had culture shock when I moved down here. My HO insurance up north was $500/year. Taxes are about the same. Florida is interesting with homesteading. Taxes can only go up 3% per year. The killer is when you buy a new/resale home. Taxes are based on sale price. If I sell my house say for 500K that had taxes of 2500/year, bought a house for the same money, based on which town you are in, you can pay as much as 1.5% in taxes, so now I would have a tax rate of 7500/year. The town neighboring mine has a 2% tax, that would mean 10K a year. That is close to 75% of my current mortgage with taxes and HO insurance in escrow.

MCA 64897
67 GTA Fastback
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 PM

Prescott is an awesome place to live. Another area just outside is Dewey. Great area. 3500-4000 feet above sea level. Maybe 95 high on the summer and a very little snow in the winter. Nowhere near as cold as Flagstaff or populated. Prescott is a great town.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM

Plus Prescott has Wiskey Row

1966 Coupe build for SCCA Autocross
347 V8 - Tremec TKO - ORP Suspension
www.geocities.com/2bav8
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:55 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MachoneKing
Just to chime-in, I lived in both Phoenix and Tucson during the 1980's. Tucson 79-82
Phoenix 84-88

Both were Great, Fun, and Beautiful cities to live in. I'm only slightly partial to Tucson as it usually was 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix on a avg. Slightly lower housing cost's also, at least it use to be. :thumbup:

Both were great Mustang club action / participation cities.

My two cents worth.

Bill, Las Vegas, Nevada
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:39 PM

If you are looking to buy in AZ right now, it is definately a buyers market. You will have LOTS to look at, that's for sure.

JohnO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page