SoT 3 Link mounting Qs - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shaun

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

SoT 3 Link mounting Qs

I'm a big fan of my SoT front coilovers and am saving to do the rear end. Unfortunately this weekend I noticed that a serious wheelhop issue caused my drover rear exhaust mount to tear free from the subframe. Obviously, I could re-tack the hanger and ideally repair the subframe at the same time but it may be an opportunity to upgrade before the Spring. Where exactly do the frame mount reinforcements weld in? (tough to tell from the pictures on the website)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 PM

I'm sure Shaun will chime in soon, but I don't think they weld in at all (or don't have to be). Have you seen the install video?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
I'm a big fan of my SoT front coilovers and am saving to do the rear end. Unfortunately this weekend I noticed that a serious wheelhop issue caused my drover rear exhaust mount to tear free from the subframe. Obviously, I could re-tack the hanger and ideally repair the subframe at the same time but it may be an opportunity to upgrade before the Spring. Where exactly do the frame mount reinforcements weld in? (tough to tell from the pictures on the website)
Sorry you had some wheel hop, the 3-Link will fix that!

Not exactly sure what frame mount reinforcements you are referring to?
InOverMyHead likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Not exactly sure what frame mount reinforcements you are referring to?
I was referring to the "frame rail mount" for the front trailing arm. Maybe it is just a welded bracket, or is it a "sleeve" that covers the frame rail (near the lift pad in the picture)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_link_frame_rail_mount.jpg (159.5 KB, 51 views)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

Ahh, I see now, thanks.

That connection is made by a 'U' shaped bracket that gets welded to a 6" x 6" plate we send you that in turn is welded to the frame rail/torque box.

This picture shows it better (also shows how it ties into our frame connectors):

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

That helps, thanks Shaun. But it brings up other questions:

1) Is this worthwhile on a primarily street car (meaning the frame rail mount vs the stock leaf location)

2) I already have the TCP subframe connectors welded in. Would I need to remove them to put that plate in?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
That helps, thanks Shaun. But it brings up other questions:

1) Is this worthwhile on a primarily street car (meaning the frame rail mount vs the stock leaf location)

2) I already have the TCP subframe connectors welded in. Would I need to remove them to put that plate in?

If you plan on mini-tubbing the car then do the frame rail mount, if not, put the trailing arm into the leaf spring hole.

2)I already have the TCP subframe connectors welded in. Would I need to remove them to put that plate in?

I haven't seen those installed in person in a while but I don't believe they occupy the same space.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:53 PM

This is probably a dumb question for which I believe I know the answer, but...

Do the 3 link mounts and the leaf spring perches on the axle occupy the same space? I only ask as I'm considering a floater, and I would like to run the trailing arms/traction bars, but I'm not ready to convert from leaf springs. I suspect they do...but I figured I'd ask .

Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOverMyHead View Post
This is probably a dumb question for which I believe I know the answer, but...

Do the 3 link mounts and the leaf spring perches on the axle occupy the same space? I only ask as I'm considering a floater, and I would like to run the trailing arms/traction bars, but I'm not ready to convert from leaf springs. I suspect they do...but I figured I'd ask .

Thanks.
Its going to be either or, you shouldn't use leaf springs with the 3-Link (if it was even possible to package it).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Its going to be either or, you shouldn't use leaf springs with the 3-Link (if it was even possible to package it).
Understood. I was just referring to the trailing arms, but I kinda figured that was the answer. Thanks, Shaun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in