New member - being cheated by GatewayClassicCars - Page 11 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 123Likes

post #151 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM

baron sure knew how to take this disadvantage to an advantage
Redbaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Car dealers are just that. People in business to SELL you a car. Ads are FULL of hype targeted towards getting you to buy their car. OFTEN they use the "owner supplied information" scape goat to cover themselves. Simple things used to "spot" hype are "fully restored" OK WHEN" By WHOM? If the dealer doesn't know this it is EASY to see they don't know the car. "Most" ( IMHO) restored cars have near perfect panel alignment and gaps since these are easily seen. Under car and under hood are where the least attention is paid. Owners send cars to dealers to (IMHO again) 1- try to get "big bucks" for their car 2 - not "personally sell" a car (paperwork and haggling , lack of ability to advertise ,etc) 3 - DUMP cars that are "questionable" . I have looked at MANY hyped ads from Gateway ( and others too). I find the ads to be full of incorrect information and the prices inflates significantly over "market prices".
"I" would never buy from them or use them to sell one of my cars.
Randy
romayo, vegasloki and EvenFlow like this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #153 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM

@Redbaron, thanks for posting. I was going to inquire about a car from Gateway's Denver location. I now have now interest in dealing with them. While true you probably should have been more diligent about the car, I for one expect more from a dealer. The fact that they posted "complete restoration" means they either lied, didn't check or were completely incompetent in their inspection.
Caper50 likes this.

post #154 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
@Redbaron, thanks for posting. I was going to inquire about a car from Gateway's Denver location. I now have now interest in dealing with them. While true you probably should have been more diligent about the car, I for one expect more from a dealer. The fact that they posted "complete restoration" means they either lied, didn't check or were completely incompetent in their inspection.
If you think you really like the car, and if you can go see it (especially if you don't have to buy an airline ticket), then check into it. If someone consigns a nice car with them, they will sell it. If someone consigns a lousy car, they will at least try and sell it. They will advertise both with selling in mind. So, beware of what the write-up and what the salesperson says. If you do not have intimate knowledge of what to look for, ask a Denver area forum member who does have the knowledge to go with you. And he or she can tell you what it is really worth.

Maybe it is a nice car and has the equipment you want. You could also post the link of the ad here and get some initial thoughts. You might want to start a new thread.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
post #155 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Let's just make this clear.....There is barely anything left such as a "USED CAR DEALER" anymore today who cares about what they sell someone...Very few exist. Today, They are just "USED CAR FLIPPERS".... They just care about how much $$$$$ that they can make off of you.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #156 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Let's just make this clear.....There is barely anything left such as a "USED CAR DEALER" anymore today who cares about what they sell someone...Very few exist. Today, They are just "USED CAR FLIPPERS".... They just care about how much $$$$$ that they can make off of you.

)

Tony K.
Don't think I agree. All new car dealers sell used cars that they have taken in trade. Some of the nicer lower mileage cars are certified pre-owned. With all the cars that are leased, there are a lot of three year old cars on the lot with 36k miles or less. I don't think dealers are buying cars at auctions to flip them. CarMax, does get cars at auction but many of their newer ones can be fairly nice. Trouble with buying a newer used car is that you will pay a higher interest if you finance it than you do on a new car. And if there is "special" financing on a new one, it may actually be cheaper to buy new versus a 1-2 year old used car.
vegasloki likes this.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
post #157 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
They are in business to make profit...(Off of you).....If they don't... They go out of business... It's a simple as that....

They don't buy Used cars on auction to lease them...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #158 of 159 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
TThey don't buy Used cars on auction to lease them...
Uh what? Don't think you fully grokked his post. The dealers sell the off lease cars with full and extended warranties. The dealer lots do not typically buy from auction. In fact most high volume new car dealers they ship nearly all trade ins to auction. Large scale used lots like Carmax buy at auction.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #159 of 159 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Every new car dealer I have worked for or dealt with buys low mileage cars at the auction. Most are from back east or Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page