New member - being cheated by GatewayClassicCars - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 123Likes

post #31 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

New member - being cheated by GatewayClassicCars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne67vert
One thing to note:

GCC doesn't own the cars they sell.

The store near me has no mechanic, lift or any way to do a complete inspection on a vehicle.

They rely on information provided by the car's owner.

They charge the owners to have their cars on display.

I don’t care if GCC doesn’t own the cars they sell. If GCC is giving a wrong warranty or just put something wrong in the offer / window sticker, either by following a wrong statement from the owner of the car or from not knowing it, GCC is liable from my point of view as the purchase contract is with GCC, not with the owner.

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-03-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne67vert View Post
One thing to note:
GCC doesn't own the cars they sell.
The store near me has no mechanic, lift or any way to do a complete inspection on a vehicle.
They rely on information provided by the car's owner.
They charge the owners to have their cars on display.
This is correct. There is a GCC branch in Houston and I considered buying a car from them when I was looking for my Mustang a few years back. Called and quizzed a salesman about a particular one they had advertised. Evidently I asked so many detailed questions that he wasn't able to answer that he finally admitted that he was just going from a set of information that the owner had given them and that the car didn't actually belong to them. I walked away. In hindsight, I was fortunate.
romayo likes this.
post #33 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo View Post
100% lawsuit win. my sister rolled her eyes and said it's an ''easy case"

stop wasting time. The longer you wait, the person you will be suing can use it against you

What field and in what state does she practice?

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html

post #34 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
What amazes me is that known shysters continue to stay in business. I guess the next guy always thinks that he's too smart to get taken to the cleaners by them.
Perhaps some buyers think they can outsmart anyone but I think the much more common situation is that they simply don't realize that Company X is a "known shyster". I would guess that the percent of potential Mustang owners who actually check on VMF regarding a company's reputation ahead of a sale is vanishingly small - certainly so for those that don't already own classic cars. So the OP is on the right track relative to publicizing his plight in every way he can.
Israel, romayo and Redbaron like this.
post #35 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I did not find very much information about GatewayClassicCars here in the forum, being a silent reader already in the past.
post #36 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx
to what I and most other people define as a complete restoration.

Think we agree that there is a common understanding in the classic car community about what is a ‚restoration‘, even more, what is a ‚complete restoration‘. If a classic car company like GatewayClassicCars - claiming to be the ‚world largest classic car company‘ - speaks about a ‚complete restoration‘ on the window sticker, this should mean something serious. Everything else would be - and actually is - fraud.
romayo likes this.
post #37 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Sue View Post
I'd question this answer it was sold AS-IS NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND

http://www.flhsmv.gov/SafetyTips/PDFs/BuyingVehicle.pdf

Florida state law;

There is no Lemon Law for used cars in Florida.
With the average price of a new car increasing every year, it is not surprising that
the fastest growing segment of the auto industry is the used car market. Buying a
car that is just a year or two old can save thousands of dollars over the price of a
new model, especially as the prices of new cars increase. The biggest advice is to
Do Your Homework. Motor vehicle laws and warranties differ for used cars. Many
reputable dealers sell used cars and will give you an honest deal. However, buyers
do not have the same protections as they do for new cars under the motor vehicle
laws of Florida.
Where to Buy
A used vehicle is a major purchase and requires comparison shopping for price and
value to find the best deal. Many sources are available for today’s purchaser:
• new car dealers
• used car dealers
• rental car companies
• leasing companies
• private individuals
Car Dealers
New car dealers generally keep only the best cars and usually inspect them thoroughly.
Consider buying from a dealer who handles the particular brand of vehicle
that you are interested in buying. Look for a full service department and a wellstocked
supply of parts. Dealers may offer a parts and labor warranty. Be sure to
visit several automobile dealerships.
AS-IS or Warranty
Federal law requires all dealers to post a buyers guide in the window of each vehicle
they offer for sale. The buyers guide notifies the buyer that there is a warranty or
that the vehicle is being sold AS-IS with no warranty of any kind.
In the case of an AS-IS sale, once you drive the vehicle from the dealership, it belongs
to you despite any problems the vehicle may have. If the vehicle breaks down
after only a few minutes of leaving the dealership, the repairs are YOUR responsibility.

Sometimes the most important difference between vehicles is not under the hood

Bob
Oh yeah, super common to get this mixed up. My sister had to explain to me as well. I'll do my best to recapture everything she said.

It's true what you brought up about the used car and warranty, yes, but it's intentionally being deceitful to gain the unfair advantage (more sales); particularly, when the "as is warranty" already protects the seller from/only to mechanical issues.

"as is warranty" is suppose to protect the seller/company from hopeful buyers due to their own stupidity. This law is a sub category derived from the larger concept where it's illegal for consumers/secret shoppers to attack a business and possibly damage revenue. You can't damage a company because you didn't get what you want just because the buyer was stuck in their fantasy and daydreaming.

"as is warranty" does not protect a seller/company from international lying and dogging questions - The seller made a claim and is clearly evident though the pictures that the claim to attract a sale from Redbaron was a lie. "as is warranty" is different from lying/covering up.

I hope I did my best in explaining the common mistake everyone thinks when buying used cars. I used to think as is warranty is some bullet proof anti-lawsuit against defect. Not at all. it does not protect anyone from lying and misrepresenting to gain an unfair advantage
Redbaron likes this.

Last edited by 105810; 01-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
post #38 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
What field and in what state does she practice?
Business Law in California
Israel and Redbaron like this.
post #39 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/c...privately.html

Quote:
a seller can’t lie to you. If the seller makes certain guarantees to you, get it in writing. If it turns out the information is false, a consumer attorney can advise you about any potential recourse.
post #40 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by romayo

Thanks Romayo! Can your sister recommend a lawyer colleague who could help me in this case?
post #41 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Hello,

My name is Thomas, owning a red 1967 coupe. Just got the car delivered from Florida last year. Got the car from GatewayClassicCars in Fort Lauderdale, but must say that GatewayClassicCars during the sales of my vehicle acted in a very bad, from my point of view fraudly, criminal way! I only can alert people to be very carefully when buying a car from GatewayClassicCars!

1.) The sales guy from GatewayClassicCars had no idea about what the VIN means, he was telling plenty of wrong things, also he stated that the engine would be original, even if I could prove with a VIN decoder that he was wrong. The VIN did show 6 cylinder, but there was a V8 in the car.

2.) The window sticker from GatewayClassicCars did say that the car has been completely restored, but later after removing all the floor mats and underlayment, it turned out surprisingly that the floor panel was extremely rosty, lots of rusty holes - requires replacement. Same with the lower quarter panel / trunk and with the cowl vents. What they mean with ‚completely restored‘, I don‘t know. But how can you state ‚completely restored‘ on a window sticker if it is definitely not restored?

Approached GatewayClassicCars again and asked for feedback, but just got arrogant emails with a reference to their terms & conditions - stating that GatewayClassicCars is not even responsible to what their salesman says and what is provided on the window sticker.

Have other members similar bad experience with GatewayClassicCars.
RE: Thomas - "beating cheated by Gateway Classic Cars"

Good afternoon Thomas and patrons of this forum. Thomas, you and I have spoke at length about your claim. Yes you did warn me that you would be bashing our company everywhere you could attain an audience. That said, it is my due diligence, as the Director of Sales of Gateway Classic Cars to provide our side of the story; as there are always two. Thomas and his companions visited our showroom to view the Mustang on March 18th, 2017. He is correct, we do not have a lift on our property as it is not allowed with our current insurance policy. However, we allow anyone to hire a 3rd party inspector, or the buyer themselves to inspect the vehicle at length prior to purchase. Any company that wouldn't allow that surely wouldn't be in business 18 years. The inspection also includes using a jack and stands to view the undercarriage. While not ideal, it does help a buyer make a more educated purchase decision. Thomas actually took note of surface rust on the floor pans and used this as a point of negotiation on March 18th while attempting to get a better price from the seller. (note: the car was consigned to us. We did not build, maintain or restore the vehicle) We helped Thomas get the vehicle at the price he wanted using the very thing he's bashing us for on this forum. Thomas is using the our vehicle write up to make a point about "completely restored". The seller, or consignee, provided Gateway Classic Cars with a detailed account of the vehicle's restoration. In the images Thomas provided, you can actually see the welds from the new floor pans the seller welded in. Mind you, the seller did not feel the need to address the minimal surface rust as it was not structurally detrimental. Lastly, in this day and age we pride ourselves on taking a common sense business approach while working with buyers and sellers. Our goal is to create a market place where those who enjoy classic cars as much as we do, have a wide variety to choose from in a safe environment. In this matter, I will reiterate, Thomas is attempting to bash our company over a point he used to negotiate a lesser selling price prior to purchase and post inspection.

Thank you to those that took the time to hear the other side.

Greg Morse - Director of Sales - Gateway Classic Cars
post #42 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

RE: Thomas - "beating cheated by Gateway Classic Cars"

Good afternoon Thomas and patrons of this forum. Thomas, you and I have spoke at length about your claim. Yes you did warn me that you would be bashing our company everywhere you could attain an audience. That said, it is my due diligence, as the Director of Sales of Gateway Classic Cars to provide our side of the story; as there are always two. Thomas and his companions visited our showroom to view the Mustang on March 18th, 2017. He is correct, we do not have a lift on our property as it is not allowed with our current insurance policy. However, we allow anyone to hire a 3rd party inspector, or the buyer themselves to inspect the vehicle at length prior to purchase. Any company that wouldn't allow that surely wouldn't be in business 18 years. The inspection also includes using a jack and stands to view the undercarriage. While not ideal, it does help a buyer make a more educated purchase decision. Thomas actually took note of surface rust on the floor pans and used this as a point of negotiation on March 18th while attempting to get a better price from the seller. (note: the car was consigned to us. We did not build, maintain or restore the vehicle) We helped Thomas get the vehicle at the price he wanted using the very thing he's bashing us for on this forum. Thomas is using the our vehicle write up to make a point about "completely restored". The seller, or consignee, provided Gateway Classic Cars with a detailed account of the vehicle's restoration. In the images Thomas provided, you can actually see the welds from the new floor pans the seller welded in. Mind you, the seller did not feel the need to address the minimal surface rust as it was not structurally detrimental. Lastly, in this day and age we pride ourselves on taking a common sense business approach while working with buyers and sellers. Our goal is to create a market place where those who enjoy classic cars as much as we do, have a wide variety to choose from in a safe environment. In this matter, I will reiterate, Thomas is attempting to bash our company over a point he used to negotiate a lesser selling price prior to purchase and post inspection.

Thank you to those that took the time to hear the other side.

Greg Morse - Director of Sales - Gateway Classic Cars
post #43 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
In the images Thomas provided, you can actually see the welds from the new floor pans the seller welded in. Mind you, the seller did not feel the need to address the minimal surface rust as it was not structurally detrimental.
Are you referring to the rust holes as minimal?
John_Del, Huntingky and Redbaron like this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #44 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorse
That said, it is my due diligence, as the Director of Sales of Gateway Classic Cars to provide our side of the story; as there are always two.

Thanks for your side of the story!

Just take a look at the pictures which show a completely rusty, damaged floor panel. And then tell please how you can state COMPLETELY RESTORED in the window sticker of such a rusty car. As you are the Sales Director, I’m sure you can explain how you write your window stickers and what did motivate you to put COMPLETELY RESTORED and INTERIOR LOOKS LIKE BRAND NEW on it. Any explanation for this please? I‘m sure you have not!

Inspecting the car is one thing, and yes, we could have done this more in detail and more carefully - not trusting your offer and your window sticker at all. But providing warranties and a window sticker like such is a different thing and should not been done by a professional car dealer without consequences.

If you like, I can bring more pictures, e.g. from the cowl vents and other parts for evidence that this car was NOT restored at all and the window sticker as well as your sales representative did lie during the sales. Let‘s guess what was the reason for this lie.

Think it is obvious that I have to alert other potential buyers here about GCC sales practices. Your CEO sent me an email with warning me about treating me with a lawsuit to stop me, this does not help. This is even more evidence of strange sales practices at GCC.

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-03-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #45 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorse
However, we allow anyone to hire a 3rd party inspector, or the buyer themselves to inspect the vehicle at length prior to purchase.

Just BTW, this is one more lie and it is interesting that you as the Sales Director from GCC wrote this here. When we inspected the car at your show room it was even a long and hard discussion with your sales representative just to do a test drive with the car for just 2 minutes in front of your show room. I honestly recommend to you to check what is going on in your show rooms, it seems that you as the Sales Director simply don‘t know ... or you are lying again.

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page