New member - being cheated by GatewayClassicCars - Vintage Mustang Forums
 125Likes

post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

New member - being cheated by GatewayClassicCars

Hello,

My name is Thomas, owning a red 1967 coupe. Just got the car delivered from Florida last year. Got the car from GatewayClassicCars in Fort Lauderdale, but must say that GatewayClassicCars during the sales of my vehicle acted in a very bad, from my point of view fraudly, criminal way! I only can alert people to be very carefully when buying a car from GatewayClassicCars!

1.) The sales guy from GatewayClassicCars had no idea about what the VIN means, he was telling plenty of wrong things, also he stated that the engine would be original, even if I could prove with a VIN decoder that he was wrong. The VIN did show 6 cylinder, but there was a V8 in the car.

2.) The window sticker from GatewayClassicCars did say that the car has been completely restored, but later after removing all the floor mats and underlayment, it turned out surprisingly that the floor panel was extremely rosty, lots of rusty holes - requires replacement. Same with the lower quarter panel / trunk and with the cowl vents. What they mean with ‚completely restored‘, I don‘t know. But how can you state ‚completely restored‘ on a window sticker if it is definitely not restored?

Approached GatewayClassicCars again and asked for feedback, but just got arrogant emails with a reference to their terms & conditions - stating that GatewayClassicCars is not even responsible to what their salesman says and what is provided on the window sticker.

Have other members similar bad experience with GatewayClassicCars?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153E9BE4-E185-480A-ACF5-DBFDFDD01A56.jpg (20.0 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-05-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 AM

I get the impression that you and GCC are having a disagreement about something and you told them that you are going to post negative comments all over the internet.
Did you research their reputation before you decided to deal with them?
Did you personally inspect the car or hire a professional to inspect it for you before buying? I suspect you are not in the US?

I know nothing about GCC and have no dog in this fight.
gwstang, Israel, Huntingky and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I‘m not in the US. Inspected the car with some friends, but in the GatewayClassicCars‘ showroom we could not remove all seats and floor mats to inspect the floor panel fully in detail, also could not lift the car and check the car in detail from below. Somehow trusted the window sticker and the statement ‚completely restored‘. From where I come, if you put something on a window sticker / in a sales offer which is absolutely wrong, this would be considered as fraud - like GatewayClassicCars did.

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-05-2018 at 12:06 PM.

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Yes by all means post everywhere that that business is not honest!
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:04 AM

The horror stories on this forum from guys who have bought "Complete Restoration" cars will astound you. Obviously, depending upon the seller's definition, a complete restoration can be anything from a couple of cans of spray paint to what I and most other people define as a complete restoration.
jerrytotin and Redbaron like this.
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
The horror stories on this forum from guys who have bought "Complete Restoration" cars will astound you. Obviously, depending upon the seller's definition, a complete restoration can be anything from a couple of cans of spray paint to what I and most other people define as a complete restoration.
Complete to me means complete. We can debate about the quality of a restoration, but if you put ‚complete restoration‘ on a window sticker, think this should mean something serious.
66whitepony likes this.
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Tell your story on their facebook page. Social media reaches a much wider audience. Make sure that others can Share your post. Maybe then they may want to deal with you in some manner.
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
Tell your story on their facebook page. Social media reaches a much wider audience. Make sure that others can Share your post. Maybe then they may want to deal with you in some manner.

GatewayClassicCars is blocking negative comments on their FB page, even blocking users. Thus, GCC has blocked me on FB ... that‘s how they do business.

Last edited by Redbaron; 01-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Garage
2.) The window sticker from GatewayClassicCars did say that the car has been completely restored, but later after removing all the floor mats and underlayment, it turned out surprisingly that the floor panel was extremely rosty, lots of rusty holes - requires replacement. Same with the lower quarter panel / trunk and with the cowl vents. What they mean with ‚completely restored‘, I don‘t know. But how can you state ‚completely restored‘ on a window sticker if it is definitely not restored?

When? IE- how long ago? No offense, but technically speaking if it was 'completely restored' in the 80's, then driven year round in harsh conditions (Iowa for one), they wouldn't be lying, right?

1.) The sales guy from GatewayClassicCars had no idea about what the VIN means, he was telling plenty of wrong things, also he stated that the engine would be original, even if I could prove with a VIN decoder that he was wrong. The VIN did show 6 cylinder, but there was a V8 in the car.

Again- No offense.... but you still bought the car after this?
rpm and Bob & Sue like this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr
When? IE- how long ago? No offense, but technically speaking if it was 'completely restored' in the 80's, then driven year round in harsh conditions (Iowa for one), they wouldn't be lying, right?

The sales guy (Joshua Becker) from GCC told it has been restored RECENTLY.
post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I’d start with contacting them directly in a calm, professional manner to discuss the issues.

Maybe contact the BBB to see what you’re getting into also,.....

Did you discuss the scope and date of the restoration?

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
The sales guy (Joshua Becker) from GCC told it has been restored RECENTLY.

Definitely seeing a pattern here.... Wrong answers, vague and incorrect descriptions, no liability for their salesman... sorry brother, but the flags were all there. Hopefully you can get some resolve from them.
Huntingky likes this.

post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 AM

You just learned a costly lesson we all have at sometime. Gateway has a large ebay business with a very poor rating adds state you can do a full inspection. When you buy any used car it's going to be as-is regardless of what any sales person says it needs to be in writing. Once you pay the money & sign the papers it's yours even if it won't start to drive it off the lot.

If a dealer or person won't allow a full inspection that's enough to walk away. Even if you bought this at Barrett Jackson once it's signed for it's yours but they do a full inspection before accepting any car for auction.

'I've carried an awl in my pocket for the purpose of checking for rotten floor pans when nobody's looking I stab several spots that are known to rot out even underneath on fender wells, their not happy to see rust on the floor & I've been threatened with suits for it & thrown out of the showroom. I just tell them it's their rust bucket clean up the mess or I'll counter suit for false advertising.

Good luck with your restoration it looks like from what they are asking for cars you already have a lot invested. Will it be worth anything close after its restored?

Recent Feedback ratings (last 12 months)
1 month 6 months 12 months
Positive 4 19 35
Neutral 0 0 0
Negative 0 2 9

Bob

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp

Last edited by Bob & Sue; 01-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Definitely seeing a pattern here.... Wrong answers, vague and incorrect descriptions, no liability for their salesman... sorry brother, but the flags were all there. Hopefully you can get some resolve from them.
Not a chance in he-- he will see anything ever.

Bob

69 Coupe 351W C4 Holley Street Avenger Comp Cams Roller Noisy Gear Drive
Cad ATS V
Some previous cars: 68 Shelby GT500 428 Auto, 40 Chev Coupe 283, 47 Fiat Topolino B/A Chev 288 Hilborn, 64 Plymouth 426 Hemi SS/BA, 70 & 71 Cuda & Challenger 426 Hemi SS/AA, 55 Chev 327, 55 Chev Nomad 283, 57 Chev Nomad 327,
57 Pontiac Safari 389, 63 Corvette 327, 68 Cougar XR7 302, 68 Camaro RS/SS 327
69 Camaro Z28 396, 73 Olds Cutlass Supreme 455 4 sp
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Sue View Post
Not a chance in he-- he will see anything ever.

Bob
Unfortunately for the OP I think you're 100% correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in