Building a Gambler 500 1966 Mulestang - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MuleStang
  • 1 Post By Huntingky

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Building a Gambler 500 1966 Mulestang

Hey all!

As the title suggests, just joined the forum. I recently purchased and am starting a Gambler 500 build on a 1966 Mustang Coupe (289 2V, auto).

If you're not familiar with the Gambler 500, it's a 500 mile road/offroad rally (multiple waypoints you get to pick the difficulty) with old, cheap, sketchy, or otherwise ill-suited to offroad adventures vehicles. Last year we did a true >$500 build (with a lime green Prius as recently seen on Jalopnik). This year we're going a different direction. This Mustang has been parked since 1994 (and barely driven since the late 80's). The goal is to get it up and ready for the road rally (with no irreversible modifications) so when we're done it can move on to a new owner who won't leave it under a tarp!

Already found a ton of information here, and looking forward to the build! The Gambler is July 13th!

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 PM

Garage
that thing looks super straight and sold despite the colors ,hope your off road rally adventure doesn't tear it up

Brad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 PM

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. I was trying to sell my sisters old car for about 500 and a guy said that he was trying to get it ready for the same thing, this Gambler 500, is it a Michigan thing, or a national thing?

He ended up not buying my sisters old car due to a crazy knock that it developed out of nowhere from sitting (literally it didnt knock when we drove it last, then it sat, and next start it was knocking after sitting about 6 weeks. so weird)

-Brad
Tech Installer in Michigan Schools
'66 Hardtop, Nightmist Blue, Standard interior + console, 200 6cyl auto.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 AM
Dimples

Garage
I canít wait to see what you do to it. Iím thinking a safari rack is moral imperative.

Check out this article on a car Mike Finnegen built thatís kind of inspired by the Cherry 2000 Mustang, which would be perfect inspiration for you.

Mike Finnegan On His '67 Mustang Build: SEMA|Ford Authority

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

It is super straight! Tiny bit of rust in the typical rear lower quarters, otherwise solid. It was in an accident sometime in the 80s when the previous owner had the driver's fender replaced and I think the radiator support pulled. Seems like decent work. Full service records from her grandmother who bought it new, just unfortunately parked outside under a tarp for 25+ years.

The rough plan is to do it up like the Monte Carlo Mustangs, turned up a notch or two. White, black hood/fender tops. Mild lift (spacers up front, I have an extra set of leafs I'm going to use to make a lift leaf pack for the back). Finnegan's car is awesome, but this build will be on a much smaller budget and the goal is to have something I can break even on and the new owner can take further or revert back to stock/whatever suits their taste.

The roads for the gambler are mostly forest service roads with the option to take tougher trails (but nothing that would even make my Cherokee with open diffs and 31s flinch). No harm should come to it!

I'm in Seattle. The original Gambler is in Oregon. It gained popularity a couple years ago and now there are gambler events across the country.

2nd 66 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Sounds like fun really....I am having flashbacks of blasting country backroads in a 6 banger 64 Falcon, throwing gravel while sliding (hmmm.....was I drifting before there was a name for it?) around the curves.
68Hildago likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

So what's the etiquette on build threads around here? The description says it's not a place to ask questions - what if the thread documents a build but also asks a bunch of questions? Or is to search / start a new thread for questions the way of things?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:33 AM

Your in the supporting members lounge, might want to move to the build forum. If your really gonna beat on it, I would recommend some subframe connectors. There is a set of plans online to fabricate a set for less than $20. Takes about a day with a mig welder. Monte Carlo bar and support under the engine that ties the lower control arms will go a long way to helping it take a beating.

Good luck

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
The Build forum is essentially to document the progress of some project or another. Whether how-to's as you go or just stories (WITH pictures) of the trials and tribulations. Whatever. Do what you want, but if you have specific questions expect a lot more answers when you post them in the main forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page