YMI5150? New Member Intro - Norcal - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

YMI5150? New Member Intro - Norcal

hey there,

i had the "you oughta buy a bigger tv" suggestion from my wife but suggested i buy a classic car to work on with my boys before they leave the nest. say no more, i'm head first into finding a 65 fastback that isnt beyond repair that i can use to teach my boys some skills and life lessons. super excited.

these seem to be in high demand so i hesitate to throw out builds i have my eye on. fear that i'll induce competition lol

i should be an owner of a ride in a month or so. the goal will be to keep it simple and in budget (easier said than done). i'll go big on brakes and suspension: mustang II front end, coilovers, large brakes and accommodating wheels. i'd defer on paint for a while but the ride will likely be stripped which is the best time to get that over with. will probably throw a 302 roller motor in, T5 tranny.

stay tuned. any advise is more than welcome. I'd love to meet any locals to Santa Cruz.

Cheers!

Current '65 Fastback project thread - https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll be fine letting us in on what you're looking at. Lots of folks post up pictures of cars they are looking to buy and usually get some excellent advice on whether or not to purchase, perceived value, too far gone or not, etc. Because not only has about everyone here already got a Mustang some of us even have too many. I recall one or two "let me know if you don't want it" comments about cars and parts ove rthe years but I've yet to see someone get sniped here on a car they wanted to buy. It could happen, but I don't think it will. I believe the good advice you'd get well worth the pretty small risk of missing out on a possible deal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 PM

Garage
Welcome to VMF.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks guys. here's my first choice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-FAS...19.m1438.l2649

Current '65 Fastback project thread - https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...ld-thread.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
"Metal work done". I consider that stuff "done" when it actually fits correctly and the body lines aren't all screwed up from poor quality part stampings. I REALLY am not a fan of the Pinto suspension/steering swap on Mustangs. It's OK on some 40's and 50's hot rods that aren't muscle cars though. That's just me though. Interesting rear suspension I guess, wanna tighten some of those bolts maybe? Just way too much going on with car. With all that work on the back I wonder if they trial fit that back glass? THAT could be a nasty surprise for somebody. A lot of that welding lots very amateur (like mine). I've no confidence at all in the quality of workmanship that's gone into this car so far. None.
My personal preference is cars that have cars that have been molested as little as possible. And this car has been VERY molested. I'd rather replace rusty sheet metal than try to fix stuff like where somebody didn't get a new quarter panel in correctly.

I consider a 302 that is incorrect for the car AND all in pieces to add no value to the car. I'd be pricing in tossing all that in favor of another engine.

No clue about the price, others can chip in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page