Autocross a Primer - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 43Likes

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM

So friggin jealous! My 68 is not yet all put back together, so I brought the cobra to my first ever autocross on Sunday. Got to the spot prior to the staging area, and a plastic heater elbow broke, coolant everywhere! Had to get out of line, and rerouted the hoses to bypass the heater. Then chased an overheating problem, which I think is related to the fan switch (not coming on). Never got to run.

Gonna try again in a few weeks.
dobrostang, Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
That Trailer behind the Ranger looks fast
I'm sure they wish it was. 90 plus temp and the humidity wasn't far off and they didn't even have a fan running in it! Personally if I were stuck in it all day I'd bring my own generator and fan if necessary!
Sparky66 and 2nd 66 like this.

So Many Cones, So Little Time!
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Ghost View Post
So friggin jealous! My 68 is not yet all put back together, so I brought the cobra to my first ever autocross on Sunday. Got to the spot prior to the staging area, and a plastic heater elbow broke, coolant everywhere! Had to get out of line, and rerouted the hoses to bypass the heater. Then chased an overheating problem, which I think is related to the fan switch (not coming on). Never got to run. Gonna try again in a few weeks.

You get points for trying! Hang in there and get that mustang out there, as long as it starts, stops and turns without leaving parts (or coolant) on the track, its ready!
2nd 66 and 68Ghost like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
You get points for trying! Hang in there and get that mustang out there, as long as it starts, stops and turns without leaving parts (or coolant) on the track, its ready!
The tech guy might question your battery hold down if it's not that great and you're to cheap to fix it in it's original location . before it goes to the trunk

Brad
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks! Stang is almost there. New headlight harness is pretty much in, checked all the functions yesterday. All good. Need to reinstall the valance and do a quick alignment now that the new control arms, etc are in. Then should be ready to run on my skinny 195s!

Gonna try to hit up Thompson for a Trackcross next Saturday with the cobra. Keeping the heater bypassed, and fully washed out the engine bay and footboxes. Just like an FJ Cruiser, cobra now has some drain holes!

I think (and hope) my fan issue was simply that I didn’t have the rheostat (?) dialed in, the fan never came on, and it overheated. I think it was set too high. I tweaked it today, and let it run for a while. No puking in 100 degree weather, so we’ll see. Hopefully the elbow breaking and the overheating are mutually exclusive!

Keep me motivated guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page