1966 FB lots of parts questions. - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM

That sounds like fun racing against Mustangs although I do not miss racing against the money you see in the California Shelby Club events. If your ok with rolling fenders, that extra set of wheels/tires should be 16X50 or 17x45 x 8s with 225s for some serious grins! Be careful getting lessons on driving with the wife. IMHO, teaching waterskiing and track days - women listen better and apply what they are told quicker - soon she will be faster...
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I have been teaching her for 10 years. She has learned a lot, but she can't quite get over the hump and beat me on a regular basis. Unfortunately for her the way to get faster is practice, and when she does I do. So of course we both get faster.I would like her to be able to outrun me on a more regular basis.

I'm pretty sure we will be getting a set of 17's for Sadie over the winter along with a new set of tires.

1966 FB GT350-H Tribute
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Those mounts will work or you could save 265 bucks and just pin your current mounts . you probably want to avoid a solid or poly trans mount everyone complains they vibrate . look thru the track forum and read the post called autocross a primer
I broke a motor mount a few years ago and installed new stock. Been to a few HPDE since and they are still in one piece.

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, Edelbrock, Weiand, JBA tri-y's, 2" duel exhaust (H-pipe), T5 trans(3.35), Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, Bilstein street shocks, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Those mounts will work or you could save 265 bucks and just pin your current mounts . you probably want to avoid a solid or poly trans mount everyone complains they vibrate . look thru the track forum and read the post called autocross a primer
I like the picture!

66 coupe, '93 Fox seats, Three point belts, 289, Edelbrock, Weiand, JBA tri-y's, 2" duel exhaust (H-pipe), T5 trans(3.35), Pro 5.0 shifter, 3.40 open, KH front disc, Porterfield R4-S pads, 1" front sway bar, Shelby drop, Spring perch relocation, Shelby quick steer, GT progressive coils (1/2 coil cut), 4.5 leaf mid-eye, Bilstein street shocks, Export brace, Monti-Carlo bar, Sub-frame connectors, Performance alignment (+3.5 caster/-.5 camber), 16x7 wheels, 215/55/16 & 225/55/16 BFG G-force

Brad

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
I like the picture!
this one ?

Thanks ,all we did was show up the guy taking the picture made us look good ,well as good as a trio of a rat pack can look

Brad
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
this one ?

Thanks ,all we did was show up the guy taking the picture made us look good ,well as good as a trio of a rat pack can look
That's the one! I wish I was on the East Coast and could go racing with you guys. There are just a few classic iron guys in Western WA willing to go autoxing or HPDE days.

Brad

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's the one! I wish I was on the East Coast and could go racing with you guys. There are just a few classic iron guys in Western WA willing to go autoxing or HPDE days.
You have an open invitation any time you feel like make the drove out

Brad
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I`d go,but I need some incentive/encouragement.I wanted to get together with you and look at your car sometime as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slalom7.jpg (314.2 KB, 5 views)

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6ZZGT View Post
I`d go,but I need some incentive/encouragement.I wanted to get together with you and look at your car sometime as well.
That would be great! I am working on a couple other projects right now and will be getting back to the mustang at the first of the year. I have done open track, but not autoxing. The Mustang NW open track day is a realy good goal to make.

Brad

Brad

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Autocross is one of those things you just need to try. Its not for everyone, and if you don't like it, so be it. I think its a great way to get some seat time without having to go through the expense of a track day.

1966 FB GT350-H Tribute
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdbl0si View Post
Autocross is one of those things you just need to try. Its not for everyone, and if you don't like it, so be it. I think its a great way to get some seat time without having to go through the expense of a track day.
I also enjoy pushing it without the grim reaper in the back seat just waiting for me to blow it!

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I also enjoy pushing it without the grim reaper in the back seat just waiting for me to blow it!
Can you autox without power steering? With my current set-up and tires it is pretty hard to make quick turns. Looking at Maier's power steering. It would be cheaper then going EPAS and a new steering box. I also think it would be an easier installation.

Brad

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
There is always that.

We have autocrossed our 66 with no power steering and no power brakes. Our limitation has been the tires, but they are BFG Radial T/A's, so a lot of smoke and fun sideways action.

1966 FB GT350-H Tribute
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Garage
Iíve had those TCP mounts since 04. Great parts with a little vibration, but to be honest, the motor itself is pretty rough.
IMO, there is no need for power or R&P steering for a track car. The steering parts listed above with the right caster/camber/toe settings is pretty fast and light at speeds above parking lot!

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Can you autox without power steering? With my current set-up and tires it is pretty hard to make quick turns. Looking at Maier's power steering. It would be cheaper then going EPAS and a new steering box. I also think it would be an easier installation.
With a 15" steering wheel its fine, just the parking lot sux but no more than the grocery store. I run standard brakes and have no problem. I would always suggest that if you have a chance to drive an EPAS car you should, its not for everybody. The lack of return to center is real although it doesn't bother me, in fact, I don't even notice it unless I'm looking for it. Also without the return to center, what's going at the tires is very nuanced comparatively, Again, I get all the telemetry of what's going on I need but I would not say it drives the same as before, its a different car that I have adapted to nicely. Even the stock power steering is better than none IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page