Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Dry Sump Pulley Install

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  j persons 
#1 ·
Been slowly working on the dry sump system. Started working on the drive system. I am using a Peterson R4 4 state pump. I had picked up a KRC dry sump drive kit off of eBay for crazy cheep. Ended up working really well. I had to get the matching alternator bracket for the kit as that didn't come with it. Most of the HTD belts were the wrong length except for the crank to water pump. The kit was originally for 351W on one of the Ford Motorsports dirt track motors. The dry sump that kit was used for was a different style so no go on the belt either. I had to make a 1" thick spacer for the peterson pump to get things to align up, ended up not too bad since the timing cover is flat unlike a stock one.

Peterson Stage 4 High volume pressure section
Water pump is a stewart stage 4
Power steering is a KRC pump
Alternator is one of the Powermaster 40 amp mini style

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That bracket looks nice! Is that a KRC PS pump? Have you calculated the pump RPM?

I'm using a KRC PS pump but I'm having to fab my own bracket because they don't make one. According to KRC, their pumps develop max pressure at 1500RPM, so any speed above that is just wasted. I have both a 6" and a 4" crank pulley, and using the 6" serpentine KRC pump pulley, but haven't decided on which crank pulley I'm going to use.

#3 ·
Yes on the KRC pump. Figured while others will fit best bet to go with theirs after reading good things about it. Mainly higher RPM capacity before pumps fail.

On the pulley I just used the setup from the kit which is as under driven as can be for a race motor. The C-loc crank mandrel is all HTD belt except for the steering which has a 3.5" pulley driving a 6" pump pulley.

So ratio is abot .58 under driven. So for me if 1500 psi is full pressure that would come in around 2500 rpm. Motor runs 7800 into the limiter so in all cases I would expect pump to bypass. I don't think it's a huge deal. Going to add a good cooler and should hopefully be ok.

Sandy

#4 ·
Then you are good to go. The KRC pumps have a 7000 RPM limit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.