6Likes
  • 2 Post By Sandy Ganz
  • 1 Post By Sandy Ganz
  • 1 Post By c6fastback
  • 1 Post By BNFab
  • 1 Post By Sandy Ganz

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mustang Dry Sump Project

Finally catching up on starting the documentation on the dry sump project. Been putting some pics here but was rather ad hoc.

Finally created a detailed project page. Lots more to post but it's a start...

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Ford-Dry-Sump-Project.html

Sandy
2nd 66 and Tom65 like this.

65 Mustang Fastback 331 Alloy block, Global West Front and Rear suspension, Dry Sump in process, other stuff...

All my projects at GTSparkplugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Question: what does the "Wix Racing Filter (51222R) Yes the 'R' is for racing" have to offer that a FL-1A can't ?

Brad
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

FL1 is likely a filter that would have worked great. Pre-oiler was available for them as well.

The FL1 possibly has smaller particle capture ability. Down side is flow. In a quick discussion a while back with peterson I asked smaller or larger style and they didn't give much advantage other then flow. My thinking was similar to have higher flow due to leaky nature of the aluminum engine.

Also found many anecdotal stories of quality and praise of the larger Wix type R filters with the downside of unclear micron filtering capabilities. To some it was like which brand of synthetic oil is best. Was very clear to steer clear of Fram filters (not intending to have any follow up on the Fram comment)

I have previously ran a canton mecca filter and while they seem to a good job filtering I always felt (anecdotally) they were very restrictive.

Long and short of it just giving it a try.

The comments were about R for race was a bit tongue and cheek 😉

Sandy
2nd 66 likes this.

65 Mustang Fastback 331 Alloy block, Global West Front and Rear suspension, Dry Sump in process, other stuff...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 PM

Still running the Dambest carb?

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Have a couple. Seem to work well.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Just looked up that carb builder. Those are some expensive carburetors.
j persons likes this.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Question: what does the "Wix Racing Filter (51222R) Yes the 'R' is for racing" have to offer that a FL-1A can't ?
Its probably twice as big, go look at one at the store they are huge... I use them on my track car, I wouldnt use the R filters on anything but a race vehicle.. The will free a small amount of power due to being less restrictive, but they wont filter as small of a particle.
2nd 66 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Their are a couple of filter elements used in that style of filter. The 5222R is the finer filter out of the bunch made for dirt applications. That being said no specs given.

Here is a link to the Wix racing page.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Speciality/Racing.aspx

The Peterson remote filter adapter is available in a few thread type for filters so you can use GM style, FL1 or even FL1995 Diesel filter if you want even more capacity.

Overall not worried about filtration with the 5222R in my application. The main idea was really the pre-lube capability of the remote.

Sandy

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6fastback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Just looked up that carb builder. Those are some expensive carburetors.
A made in China pro series race carb from Holley is in the 800 buck range and will still need to have someone go through it as they are not well tuned. The place that put my enging together was amazed how well it worked out of the box. All made in USA 🇺🇸 too.
c6fastback likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 PM

Pro comp/speedmaster tried to make a copy of the Dambest billet body and failed miserably.
Those Dambest carbs rarely come up for sale used. I have tried to buy a few with no luck.
I believe the booster is in a different location in the Venturi than a Holley has.

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Dry Sump

I made the lines several years ago for a 5 stage pump in a Hydroplane. Be careful with the hose length especially from the pan to the pump. There's an order for installation and removal. The angle of fittings will also come into play. We had a low budget team and didn't have any of the fitting insertion tools and hose cutting tools that are available now. Would've made life much easier.
Take your time, you'll be glad you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page