Clutch Press plate suggestions? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j persons
  • 1 Post By awhtx

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Press plate suggestions?

Ok, piecing together T5 parts and trying to select a decent clutch/pp combo. I admit I've run built automatics all my life so your recommendations are useful here. I'll keep it simple, T-5 conversion, 3:80 trutrac rear, and roughly 325hp out of an early 302. This motor sees 6k+ regularly in autocross which is roughly 90% of my time. I am admittedly overwhelmed by the # of manufacturers and quantity of parts. Stock isn't gonna cut it, but dual clutch is an overstatement. Suggestion on reputable performance clutches/pp would be helpful here. I'm leaning towards a diaphragm type with a lighter weight fly wheel, partly due to my aarp status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM

I used a Centerforce dual friction disc and PP combo in my FF Cobra with no problems. The engine was a 331 with aprox 420 HP, custom T5 box and a 3.55 rear axle ratio. Light actuation, no clutch shudder or anything weird. It would easily boil a set of 315/35/17 tires.
capemustang likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:11 AM

I have a 164T flywheel on my 302 so I use an 11" Centerforce clutch for a FE (390/427/428). It has the standard 10 spline hub.
capemustang likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 AM

The first question to ask is what flywheel do you have now and are you going to stick with it?

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
I am no expert, but it seems to me a lighter FW would be good for autocross. Just don't go too light. The diameter of the PP will influence the overall weight of the FW. Research the weight, could take some serious thought. I would have a machine shop balance the PP/FW combo. Diaphragm PP is always my preference. Just get a good one. I run a McLeod clutch. Perfection Clutch is questionable quality. Careful about really stiff racing clutches.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

That's the good parts, I haven't selected a flywheel yet, plan to run something around 15lbs, 157 tooth, 28oz, not too light to stall at idle but light enough to allow me to spin up faster. If I can find a complete combo, that would be great.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I run this flywheel. Pretty sure they have 164T also if thatís what you need.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-900220

Spins up fairly quickly.

Iím using a standard RAM 3 finger and Toploader, so I canít help there.

Regards,
Patrick
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 PM

I'll be following this thread. The clutch setup I got with my MDL conversation was for a cruiser not an autocrosser. I pretty much fried it trying to launch in second gear.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I'll be following this thread. The clutch setup I got with my MDL conversation was for a cruiser not an autocrosser. I pretty much fried it trying to launch in second gear.
Which one did you get? They sold me the Kevlar clutch, the car is still in pieces so I haven't had an opportunity to run it yet. If that doesn't work I guess a twin disc in in my future.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Which one did you get? They sold me the Kevlar clutch, the car is still in pieces so I haven't had an opportunity to run it yet. If that doesn't work I guess a twin disc in in my future.
My clutch and pressure plate were listed as "Super King Cobra" that ended up being on of those decent Korean packages that are popular on eBay. I've bought similar before and they work good on the street. Given my Sciatica I'll sadly be looking at the twin disc setup.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 08:05 PM

Look at National Parts Depot. I believe they have a diaphragm pressure plate with a Long style bolt pattern. I currently have a diaphragm pressure plate and had a Long for years and I don't know that I can tell the difference.

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower. 65 mustang coupe, 306, 10.4 compression, 180cc homeported Chinese heads, funnel web, t5z, 4.56 gears in a 9 inch locker
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 09:35 PM

Garage
I'm using a DURALAST diaphragm kit from AZ without issue ,although even with 11.39 SLR I wouldn't try to "launch" in 2nd

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in