Aerodynamics question(s) - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #46 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Could you guys post a picture or a single part link that shows what you're referring to with the "extractor"? I'm not following it's function or where/how it installs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj5600 View Post
I agree. An extractor like in the link might be impractical, but definitely the best. A chin spoiler with a short tray under the valance will help keep air from going under the car. Blocking everything in the core support other than the radiator helps too. Instead of removing the hood scoop, build a tray that seals it to the air cleaner.
Could you explain more on these trays please? For the chin spoiler, do you mean one that runs horizontally, and how far back? I'll look into the rad support seal.

The prob with sealing the air cleaner is the engine still moves enough to require the extra inch on each side. Unless I can work up some sort of rubber seal a la shaker hood style.

A friend of mine proposed this type:
Mufp 060200 9z+1964 Ford Galaxie 500+Front Wheel View - Photo 9179973 - 1964 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback - Mustang & Fords Magazine

I'm not a huge fan of this look, but since I'm going more for function...form follows function. I'm wondering what folks' thoughts are on it.

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
post #48 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

This is how the car sits currently. Tons of room underneath. I'm hoping that a chin spoiler will redirect that air? I'd block off the lower valance but that's where my trans cooler sits. :-/

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...psni0uxbpn.jpg

post #49 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Still coming up no image...or is it just me?
weird it shows up then goes away
linky
https://www.hoonigan.com/hoonicorn
post #50 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 AM

If you are going to raise the rear of your hood, I think you should do more investigation.

As another poster was hinting at, the rake of the windshield creates a high pressure zone, which could push MORE air under the hood. In that case, you want to seal the rear edge, but keep it propped up so air can spill out the sides of the hood.

I would tape some yarn whips around the outline of the hood and see which direction they are blowing at speed. If they are getting sucked under the hood, then you are shooting yourself in the foot.
post #51 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:56 AM

Let's see if this works....basically the air goes in through the radiator and out the front of the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.5 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by Dbasher; 03-22-2015 at 02:58 AM.
post #52 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:13 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr40fdYmd2I

Look at what the smoke is doing and where it's going at around 20 and 40 seconds.....In the grill and out the hood.
post #53 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:24 AM

Ah that makes sense on the extractor now, thank you. Essentially shroud all radiator cooling air all the way through its path--from the core support out the aft side of the radiator and then back up and out of the hood as efficiently as possible, much like an extended radiator shroud.
post #54 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 AM

I would imagine such extractor setups (as in the white late model above) run an electric fan rather than trying to work such a shroud around an engine-driven one?
post #55 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FoxLane View Post
I would imagine such extractor setups (as in the white late model above) run an electric fan rather than trying to work such a shroud around an engine-driven one?
Exactly
post #56 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Honestly, VMF won't be the best source for aerodynamic advice. Do some Googling for sites like this one:
Race Car Design Tips and Information - Aerodynamics

A fully ducted radiator will be impossible without drastic engine setback. Hood vents will have to be positioned on the front 1/3 or so of the hood to be functional. An air dam/splitter will be the low hanging fruit, and can be made removable. Any sort of "cowl induction" hood will not help. Aero results can be very hard to predict, and tend to be very obtrusive to the appearance of a vintage car.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #57 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
Honestly, VMF won't be the best source for aerodynamic advice. Do some Googling for sites like this one:
Race Car Design Tips and Information - Aerodynamics

A fully ducted radiator will be impossible without drastic engine setback. Hood vents will have to be positioned on the front 1/3 or so of the hood to be functional. An air dam/splitter will be the low hanging fruit, and can be made removable. Any sort of "cowl induction" hood will not help. Aero results can be very hard to predict, and tend to be very obtrusive to the appearance of a vintage car.
I agree with the with the first part but it gets people talking and brain cells working. Aero is fun to play with...all you can do is test,test, test.

The second part, about drastic engine set back...meh, it can be done without moving the engine drastically. You'll see.

Sparky, my opinion after looking at your car....lower, chin spoiler, seal under the hood scoop and tires.
post #58 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM

Garage
post #59 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbasher View Post
The second part, about drastic engine set back...meh, it can be done without moving the engine drastically. You'll see.
Done maybe, but fully functional, not likely. There's just not enough room to get ducting to the bottom of the radiator. But, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #60 of 261 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

2nd 66: I saw the Hoonicorn in person at SEMA. It's an impressive machine, no doubt, but not something I'm aiming for. The only '65 Mustang left on that car is the roofline, IIRC. Not that I'd turn down a ride in it or anything.

Dbasher: So now I'm confused. Would an extractor hood (one with vents, not cowl) be good or bad with an engine-driven fan (and shroud)? And tires...those are Comp T/As...

Stephen Wilson: I have been to that website, actually, but I am looking for info/advice directly regarding 1st Gen Mustangs. I've found lots of general "race car" info...but not anthing specific. Of course, I realize that each car is different, and mine is no exception.

I'm not looking to win any competitions here guys - times are of little significance to me. I just want to make my car safer/more stable. I've ordered the chin spoiler, but scratching my head as to how to seal off the scoop to the air cleaner. I plan on taking it on some test "runs" when the weather clears, and placing some yarn strips strategically. Thanks for everyone's help

1966 Restomod/track car, 1973 Q-code Mach 1, 1997 F250 diesel, 2000 VW Beetle Rallycross car, 2010 Crown Vic (ex-City of Lakewood PD), 2015 Focus ST-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page