67 LCA's in a 65?? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 AM

This is awesome. I agree with Shaun about running the numbers, I'd be curious exactly how much this will effect camber gain and roll center.

When I switched from playing with Miatas to old mustangs I never expected to find more guys tinkering with suspension geometry on the old mustangs! The Miata community seems boring compared to you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Sounds like an interesting project. Anybody run the numbers? I'm a data kinda guy and I like to spend 10 hours measuring/plotting things before 100 hours of labor tearing things up.
x2 ! If I was going to go that far, I'd run it through a suspension program. I'd also go with custom A-arms, changing the strut rod pivot and UCA length/pivots as indicated by the suspension analysis.

Dennis, Moving the inner LCA pivot a little won't do much to change the camber gain of the UCA/Shelby drop. The longer arm will help to moderate the effect, but ultimately the location will depend on the RCH desired, and the overall suspension design.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Man View Post
When I switched from playing with Miatas to old mustangs I never expected to find more guys tinkering with suspension geometry on the old mustangs! The Miata community seems boring compared to you guys.
What did you think of the Miata?
GW had a mule in early 1989 to do tuning on. The car they received back had revised camber gain and a few
other tweaks. I have no idea how much of it was incorporated into the final car. I do remember seeing a quick
blurb in one of their ads alluding to revised suspension tuning. (or some such wording)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM

It was amazing other than the lack of power and uninspiring looks. It won its fair share of races (SCCA Hill Climbs and Time Trials). I added a turbo, which solved the power problem but introduced a myriad of on-track reliability issues due to heat (Melted the dipstick multiple times, melted the insulation off wires, turbo bolts consistently backing out due to heat cycling, etc...)

It had the best steering I've ever felt. Anyone who thinks the recirculating ball setup in old mustangs is "good enough" needs to drive a first gen miata with a de-powered rack. Its steering nirvana.

The mustang is better at burnouts, donuts and drifting though
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM
rpm

This is really good stuff, thanks guys!

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 14" 2015 Brembo 4 piston disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page