Water pump change - Anything I need to know? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to limit my repairs and not get too carried away with the "While I'm At it" syndrome. The car was running great before this happened. I'm guessing this may be the original pump, but I haven't dug into it far enough to see if the casting numbers are there etc..

Appreciate everyone taking the time to share their tricks!

Shaummy
66 convertible 289 C Code Sauterne Gold with Black power top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Supporting Member

Sears has a reasonably priced set of thread chaser taps

Permatex sells an RTV specially designed for use on the. water pump area. It's the best RTV I've used, and well worth a few extra dollars. All the parts stores that carry Permatex have it.

Z
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaummy66 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm trying to limit my repairs and not get too carried away with the "While I'm At it" syndrome. The car was running great before this happened. I'm guessing this may be the original pump, but I haven't dug into it far enough to see if the casting numbers are there etc..

Appreciate everyone taking the time to share their tricks!
Hmmmmmmm.... some of these were pretty viable suggestions --> Thread chasers to clean threads was a good one, I know I suggested thermostat, flush-T and new belts which I thought were pretty good too (unless of course you just did them which you didn't specify).

If those are what you consider "While I'm At It" Syndrome then I'm thinking you have never heard of Murphy's Law. The one thing I've learned from these old gals after working on them for 10-11 years is if it makes sense to replace it at the time of another repair and it's cost effective it's best to do it now verses putting it all back together and having it fail a month or 6 months down the road.

In my suggestions a thermostat & thermostat gasket, Flush-T and a couple of belts is maybe $35 tops. If that little of money isn't worth the hassle of having to once again drain the cooling system, remove belts and hoses to replace the thermostat later on when it fails then you're in the wrong hobby.

We are all just trying to save you some hassle down the road. Ultimately it's your car so do as you wish.

Let us know how you make out.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
My personal guideline is not use RTV AND a gasket. Use one or the other. I'm happy to slather a number of types of gaskets with the Aviation-Form-A-Gasket sealer though. Sometimes I use it as a thread sealer too. As far as water pump gaskets over the years I've grown to feel that any sealer on perfectly good water pump gaskets is a waste. Sometimes some dots or smears of something to hold the gasket in its proper place for assembly is really helpful though. In such cases I've grown fond of using anti-seize for that. In the case of a Ford water pump job I will certainly have that anti-seize on hand anyway.
I tend to keep vehicles (and engines) quite a long time. I also have a tendency to disassemble them for any number of reasons (including "because I feel like it"). I know what I want to see around a water pump some ten years from now and RTV ain't it.
That said, notice I said "guideline" instead of rule in my first sentence. Using RTV and a gasket is more like a desperate last ditch "GOT to seal this to make the race tomorrow" effort. Also Permatex Ultra is fine choice. Next to "Right Stuff" I've found it to be the best I've used.
The main thing to watch out for is bolts breaking off. They do, from time to time. Usually ones that go all the way into the block that require removal of the timing cover to remove. Preventing that is why I use anti-seize on the bolt threads AND a little sealer on the middle of the bolts. Just the longest ones need and get that though. If a bolt breaks it's not the end of the world, just more work than planned. Most of the time they come out OK.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Thanks for that info GypsyR I was thinking more to use the RTV to hold the gasket in place so it wouldn't move around while I'm trying to mount the pump. I did buy a quality Fel-pro gasket and I'm glad I did, the one that came with the pump is not nearly as high quality.

IDSRVIT..I didn't meant to imply that the suggestions weren't good ones and I did take them into consideration. The belts are in fine shape, and I have no reason to dig into the thermostat since it's sealed and working just fine.

Here's hoping the job goes great today.

Shaummy
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:02 PM

I just replaced the water pump on my 64.5 with a high mile 260 v8. Removal and replacement went just fine. However when I refilled with coolant, I noticed a new leak on the timing chain cover. I went ahead and replaced the timing chain cover gasket and timing chain since I was already in the area.

Not sure how many miles the OP's engine has, but it might be a good idea to go a few steps further and look and replace the timing cover gasket and take a peek at the timing chain and avoid having to go through the same steps later.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Thanks everyone! Got this done today and everything went just fine. No big surprises and no broken bolts. Most of all...no more leaks!

Interesting note...the only pump had a C8OE-D part number and FoMoCo stamping, so I guess it's been replaced before since my car is a '66.

One tip that made a big difference was I took a lot of pictures as I tore it down so I knew where the different brackets went back into place for alternator and A/C.

Shaummy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page