Generator to alternator conversion - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I believe the Powermaster unit you reference is based on the GM 10si unit. It has an internal regulator. What you'll be doing is removing your existing voltage regulator, all the wires to the regulator EXCEPT the GRN/RED wire and the wires to the existing generator. You'll need a new, heavier gauge wire between the new alternator "BAT" terminal and the battery-side of the starter solenoid and connecting the GRN/RED wire that used to go to the voltage regulator to pin #1 on the Powermaster alternator. That will keep your existing GEN warning light functionality.

Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leon Narozny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post

Like this?

Nope. Like this... The WHITE in the picture would be your GRN/RED. The RED in the picture would be your new wire.

Leon Narozny likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I believe the Powermaster unit you reference is based on the GM 10si unit. It has an internal regulator. What you'll be doing is removing your existing voltage regulator, all the wires to the regulator EXCEPT the GRN/RED wire and the wires to the existing generator. You'll need a new, heavier gauge wire between the new alternator "BAT" terminal and the battery-side of the starter solenoid and connecting the GRN/RED wire that used to go to the voltage regulator to pin #1 on the Powermaster alternator. That will keep your existing GEN warning light functionality.

Thank you so much woodchuck! I got the brackets off from the generator. waiting patiently for parts to come in!

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
Actually I didn't realize until I went to talk to him but he said he could of fixed it for $100 taking core out of another one he has. I'm actually going to have him do it when I get some extra cash.
Well, that's certainly less cost than conversion.
Leon Narozny likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

So the guy at generator shop said I can leave it way it's setup but need to move the a wires from the regulator on firewall to the batt. They're is two wires. Do I need to move both? heres pic of alternator hook up and how the regulator on firewall is currently. Haven't done like I was told yet. Any help most appreciated

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The regulator goes "bye-bye". You'll need to splice the 2 wires connected to the "B" or "BAT" terminal on the regulator together or your horns will quit working. Just snip off the terminal ends, strip back, splice, solder and shrink wrap.

Next, remove the wire from the "F" or "FLD" terminal and snip off the terminal end and loop back and shrink wrap so the end is insulated.

Now, remove the 2 wires from the "A" or "ARM" terminal on the regulator, snip the terminal end off the heavy gauge wire, loop it and shrink wrap. The small gauge YEL/BLK wire needs to be extended, with a proper splice, and connected to the #2 terminal on your new alternator.

At the starter solenoid, the heavy gauge YEL/BLK wire gets disconnected, looped and shrink wrapped.

At the alternator, the wire connected to the "F" or "FLD" terminal, typically WHITE, get's snipped, looped and shrink wrapped. The wire connected to "G" or "GND", typically BLACK, gets connected to the new alternator chassis....there's usually a ground post.

Lastly, you'll need to make up a new alternator output cable, I recommend RED multi-strand primary wire in 8AWG with ring terminals on each end, one to attach to the alternator "B" or "BAT" terminal and the other end to the starter solenoid battery-side terminal. IIRC, you'll need a 1/4" ring for the alternator and a 5/16" ring for the solenoid...or maybe it's 3/8". "Old Timers" disease again.

Yank the old regulator.... the space now freed up will make a nice place for a Chrome Chrysler Ignition Box if you ever decide to convert to electronic ignition. LOL.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 PM

Hey quick question for all those who have changed to the power master 82101. My generator slung solder and is a big steel brick. I ordered a power master to replace it. Does anyone have some pics and how to info to switch it out? Especially how you manipulated the wiring coming from the voltage regulator? Thanks for any info that would help. My power master will be here tomorrow and I would love to be back on the road by tomorrow evening. Thanks, Mike.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM

Hey quick question for all those who have changed to the power master 82101. My generator slung solder and is a big steel brick. I ordered a power master to replace it. Does anyone have some pics and how to info to switch it out? Especially how you manipulated the wiring coming from the voltage regulator? Thanks for any info that would help. My power master will be here tomorrow and I would love to be back on the road by tomorrow evening. Thanks, Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page