Sharing some progress, question about hiding wires. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By sycostang67
  • 2 Post By kechke
  • 1 Post By 6sally6
  • 1 Post By bacchus203

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Sharing some progress, question about hiding wires.

I'm kind of excited about the progress I have made lately and thought I would share. I pulled my motor last year after a mount split and pulled my clutch linkage apart. I had the top loader rebuilt by Dan Williams who is a really nice guy whom I spent more time chatting with than discussing business. The motor has less than 30k since the rebuild so I just cleaned and repainted the block, chased all the holes, new gaskets/seals, new oil pan, replaced a broken cam retainer plate and distributor, heli-coiled a water pump bolt hole, and new HD water pump and harmonic damper. I also got new valve covers to replace the junkyard specials I had been using for 20 years and had my old headers blasted and ceramic coated. I also rebuilt or replaced all of the steering hydraulics. I finally got the engine and transmission back into the car 2 weeks ago. Installing them as a unit was not as easy as I thought it would be.

I was curious as to how you guys go about hiding wires and such. I'm not looking to make everything invisible, just want to clean things up a bit. It seems like I had wires and hoses running all over the place and it's just chaos. Do most people run them through the frame rails or just on the other side of inner fender wells? I have a catch can I was planning to relocate to the passenger fender well.
Israel likes this.

1967 Mustang, mild 351W, 750 Demon, MSD, Pertronix, long tubes, Dan williams built top loader with Hurst shifter, #550 coils, 5 leaf mid-eye springs, 3:55's, CSRP disc brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:53 PM

I ran mine on the outside of the fenders. I wrapped them and suspended them pretty securely so any rocks flying around won't damage them.
I ran the wire running across the firewall from the plug above the steering wheel...I pulled the wire bundle out of the plug and ran it under the dash to the passenger side and thru a hole in the floor along the inside wheel well.
6sally6
PS.........would have been SOOOOOO much easier when the engine was out!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
This looks messy? LOL.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...215ffebba1.jpg

The only thing bad about running wires under the fenders is the exposure to water. If you never drive in the rain or go through a puddle, no problem. Water & electricity don't mix. Any splices or breaks in the insulation will end up being problems. If I were to go under the fenders it'd be in conduit with bulkhead connectors at each end.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 AM

My under fender wiring is sealed from the elements encased in dish washer hose.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Those are some good ideas, definitely food for thought. I was also thinking about rerouting my fuel line to come up behind the motor. I'm running a Holley electric pump so no reason to route all the way to the front of the motor.

My wiring is a mess, did most of it when I was younger. Adding the catch can, MSD box, extra gauges and light upgrades has given me a few more wires and hoses than the factory did. I'm fixing the mistakes of my youth, but this time I have the patience to do it right.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 PM

Not that hard to pull the engine...not really. Besides.........it gets too cold in Idaho to drive a Mustang in the winter. May as well make it a winter project.
6sally6
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 AM

I also moved my battery to the trunk and used the battery tray space to install my MSD box...relays...and coil. Made a crappy little cover to cover it up. Ran some wire under the radiator support too. Long coil wire comes from hidden coil through bottom of old battery area tie wrapped to bottom of lower radiator hose and up front of engine to distrib. Only wires(just about) you see are the spark plug wires.
Looks pretty clean/un cluttered)
6sally6
Israel likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechke View Post

That's a pretty good idea.

Couple of questions for you, though.

Which wires did you run through the dishwasher hose?

Do you have any pics of how you routed the wires from the firewall into the hose and underneath the fender?

Did you secure the ends of the dishwasher hose with anything or are the grommets enough to hold it in place?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 AM

Which wires did you run through the dishwasher hose?

< every thing except the ignition coil wires, they come out of the cabin at the back of the engine. The starter and battery wires go through the frame rail.>

Do you have any pics of how you routed the wires from the firewall into the hose and underneath the fender?
< the wires exit the cabin behind the rear splash shields on each side, the last picture shows that >

Did you secure the ends of the dishwasher hose with anything or are the grommets enough to hold it in place?
< The hoses are a press fit through the grommets and sealed with RTV >

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)

Last edited by kechke; 10-24-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
I also moved my battery to the trunk and used the battery tray space to install my MSD box...relays...and coil. Made a crappy little cover to cover it up. Ran some wire under the radiator support too. Long coil wire comes from hidden coil through bottom of old battery area tie wrapped to bottom of lower radiator hose and up front of engine to distrib. Only wires(just about) you see are the spark plug wires.
6sally6
That's something I may consider as well. I was already planning on new cables to turn my battery around as the positive terminal was under the core support which made it a cringe worthy time trying to loosen or tighten that terminal. Did you run the cables through the car or under it?

1967 Mustang, mild 351W, 750 Demon, MSD, Pertronix, long tubes, Dan williams built top loader with Hurst shifter, #550 coils, 5 leaf mid-eye springs, 3:55's, CSRP disc brakes.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Red Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
6sally6

Any pictures, sounds nice and clean.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kechke View Post
Kind of the same thing I did on mine this summer. I moved the solenoid back behind the passenger side shock tower, as well as moved the battery in the trunk. I mounted the coil behind breather on the firewall.

Tim
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Garage
Nice job Stangtim22!

You can read a whole thread about engine bay rewiring (and other stiff) by clicking the "Engine Bay Pics" link in my sig. Good luck and have fun - the results are very well worth it!

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycostang67 View Post
Those are some good ideas, definitely food for thought. I was also thinking about rerouting my fuel line to come up behind the motor. I'm running a Holley electric pump so no reason to route all the way to the front of the motor.
I ran my wires out of the firewall and drilled a hole into the fender well and ran them in the outer fender well.

I also have Efi, so I move the fuel line to the back of the engine. Right where it comes into the drivers fender well, I go straight up and into the engine compartment just under the master cylinder and flex over to the fuel rail.
sycostang67 likes this.

'67 Coupe, 347 w/ Holley Terminator EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus203 View Post
I ran my wires out of the firewall and drilled a hole into the fender well and ran them in the outer fender well.

I also have Efi, so I move the fuel line to the back of the engine. Right where it comes into the drivers fender well, I go straight up and into the engine compartment just under the master cylinder and flex over to the fuel rail.
Hiding EFI wires and everything that comes along with it is fun, but you can get creative. I didn't want a single wire showing in my '93GT, so I came from under the transmission tunnel. I'd assume you could go the same route in a vintage Mustang as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page