Do you ever get tired of wrenching? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 25Likes

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:43 PM

I get tired of the mundane stuff on the family cars and tired of doing a job over on any car. The redo is usually my own fault, and that makes it worse 😉

I was happy to find a local place that does full synthetic oil changes for just north of $50. By the time you factor in time (including recycling) and materials, it's about a wash. I still do them on the Mustang, but the shop gets the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:18 PM

At 73 i still enjoy buying a real P O S and making something of it , just finished unhooking everything to pull a motor and tranny from a 69 parts car that a couple days ago i removed the dash and all factory air parts to build my 69 vert, still got to remove tilt wheel and disk brakes and then sell for parts or finish stripping and junk before code enforcement gets wind of the junk in the driveway. They should not really care as they are installing city sewers in my neighborhood and the roads and all are all tore up. The 65 fastback i sold 2 weeks ago is where the motor and tranny go and the fellow from south florida is coming back to pickup. Missed a hell of a deal 2 days ago by just a couple of hours- orlando craigslist had a 65 fastback body and all new metal needed sitting on a body cart for 500 hundred. By the time i saw the add it was GONE! Rats is all i can say. Wes
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:35 PM

I am 46 and have been working on my cars since my teens with various classics along the way. I have had my share of frustrations with my Mustang. I have completed a bare metal respray and I am now putting the car back together. I much prefer working on nuts and bolts over bodywork, but I got there in the end.

I work on my car nearly every day of the week when I can find time. My top tip is to take a break every so often and have a day off and do something else not car related.

I also find that going to the odd car show on a day off certainly gives a boost to my enthusiasm and I go back to my car and work even harder than before to get it back on the road.

My daily driver is much more modern ( but still 14 years old ) and all I need to do to that is just basic servicing to keep it happy. I do not want my daily driver to be a project and take up too much of my time.

For my punishment I am also into old motorbikes which are also projects, but my Mustang will always take priority.

I see my neighbours go out for the day and do fun activities and I spend all day working on my car. I am sure they think I am mad.

I cant wait until my Mustang is back on the road and then I can just fiddle with things on it and think about the next jobs on my to-do list.

I want to be able to work on my cars and motorbikes for as long as I physically can. Any frustrations I have with them are short lived and I am soon over it.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Don't mind wrenching. What is a pain is redoing stuff that didn't hold up as expected.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:54 PM

48 here, and I enjoy "voluntary wrenching." Fortunately (knock on wood), my '65 is at a point where it's pretty darn reliable- so when I grab my tools it's usually because I want to "improve" something.

On modern cars, I enjoy projects that don't involve electronics! However, I do hate having to remove all kinds of shields and harnesses just to get to the part I need to remove...

Of course, having a TV, sound system, and beverage cooler installed in the garage does make wrenching a bit more pleasant. Now I just need a lift!

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, ENGINE: 200ci inline six, Offy 3x1 intake, HEI ignition, Classic Inlines dual header; TRANSMISSION: T5 5 speed, 3.55 8" rear; MISC: Chockostang front disc conversion, dual master, MB "Old School" 15" wheels
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback gang. I think what did it for me was I started to do some minor front end work this past Spring replacing some old stock parts. Next thing I know my entire front end was removed and I replaced everything with new. 3 months of lost driving time. My own fault for working too much. I love Petes idea. One toy and one driver.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 04:50 PM

Well, I can't look at it from an age perspective like you guys as I'm only 25. However, I do get tired of wrenching sometimes when a really nice day rolls around and I just want to go for a drive. The problem is that when the car is driveable (which is most of the time), I always want to take it apart! So I'll find some nitpicky thing to change or something else to play with and then inevitably when the car's apart I just want to drive.

When I have a real job and a real house and a real life (if that ever happens), I will solve this problem by having two cars Then I'll just keep one down for wrenching and one up for driving at all points in time! Perfect solution.
daves67ss likes this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:15 PM

research and bending wrenches is my therapy

I started professionally turing wrenches on aircraft at 18 and by 30 I was "management" and worked myself out of bending wrenches on aircraft. The management job came with more funds so I just transitioned to turning wrenches on my own cars/motorcycles.

I think i just enjoy the planning, building something from an idea/plans and seeing it come to life. Having a classic is just the best of both worlds for me.

I pretty much overload myself with projects and so the does the wife so I get plenty of time off one project to work another one.

I am 40 so plenty yrs of wrenching left for me!!

When i was building my pergola last month I did feel my age!! I had to dig 6... 16"x36" deep pier support holes for the post....by hand with a post hole digger and then fill them with 24 80" pound bags of concrete that i mixed by hand..... I felt that one the next day.

1968 mustang: coupe: factory A/C, P/S, P/B car. Original 289, C4 street/strip trans (2600 stall), 8" rear with 3.40 gears and true trac, front steering and suspension rebuilt to factory specs 3-4 yrs ago. Wimbledon white with two tone blue interior, 68 C-stripe added. Vintage wheel works 16" wheels, 255's in back with 225's up front.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
My brain says go, go, go,
but sometimes age says no, no, no.
Tired of it yet? No.
My wife is sure I'm crazy though.
Lqpete likes this.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
Well, I can't look at it from an age perspective like you guys as I'm only 25. However, I do get tired of wrenching sometimes when a really nice day rolls around and I just want to go for a drive. The problem is that when the car is driveable (which is most of the time), I always want to take it apart! So I'll find some nitpicky thing to change or something else to play with and then inevitably when the car's apart I just want to drive.

When I have a real job and a real house and a real life (if that ever happens), I will solve this problem by having two cars Then I'll just keep one down for wrenching and one up for driving at all points in time! Perfect solution.
Ah, I was 25 once... in 1993! Ironically, I was driving my first '65 as my daily driver that year- and it never left me down. Now, I'm in that "real life" stage where I have a house, career, and a '65 Mustang that is just a "fun car." I can highly recommend it!
Here's a pic of that first '65 Mustang with my daughter Sara waving from the back seat. How long ago was that? Well, last week that daughter gave birth to my first grandkid (Dante)! Now the Mustang is just a car to drive on "nice weather" days or when I'm running "weekend errands." In fact, I ran a few errands today and had 5 thumbs up along the way- including a group of teenagers who were snapping selfies with my car out in the parking lot of Best Buy! Apparently, nothing makes a grandpa cooler than a classic pony car!
Lqpete likes this.

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, ENGINE: 200ci inline six, Offy 3x1 intake, HEI ignition, Classic Inlines dual header; TRANSMISSION: T5 5 speed, 3.55 8" rear; MISC: Chockostang front disc conversion, dual master, MB "Old School" 15" wheels
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 05:52 PM

I'm only 79, but I'll weigh in. Took my first engine, Whizzer motorbike, apart when I was 15. After extensive muddling, I got it back together and it actually ran. I have been wrenching ever since and loving it. This winter, I'll be removing the differential from the '65 for an overhaul, getting an '87 Fiero back on the road and overhauling the brake system on my '55 Willys pickup. I'll admit that I'm slowing down a bit, so if any of you want to drop in and lend a hand, there's plenty of cold brew in the fridge.
zray, Varilux, Lqpete and 1 others like this.

Test drove a Mustang convertible in '65, bought one this year(2013)...I don't like to rush into things.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Garage
At almost 48 and having been turning a wrench 45+ hours a week for the last 25+ years Yeah I hate it sometimes ,but like my buddy dobrostang said working on the Mustang that's therapy .Even still sometimes after working on everyone else's ****box through the week it's tough to get motivated to tinker on the 66 but I do have a list of stuff I'd like to get done before spring

Brad
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Still enjoying it at the old age of 32. This pic was right after I installed seat belts. I immediately threw in the car seats and strapped the kids in. My daughter kept saying "best day ever". Lol she seriously thinks the car is hers. She always tells me to make sure to wash her car when I get back from driving it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.jpg (94.3 KB, 20 views)

1964.5 Convertible D Code with factory 4 Speed born July 6th 1964

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:50 PM
rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscc1 View Post
I'm a 61 year old guy.... Just looking for an opinion or two from you Seniors out there. Thanks
Heck yes! I'll take a break for a few days to a week, which usually gets me going again. In my forties and early fifties I had no problem with body aches or desire to keep me going. I'm 60, and since about 55 the never ending thrill has wained. Oh to be in my 40',s or 50's again! Those youngsters don't know yet.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 PM

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
I'm only 79, but I'll weigh in. Took my first engine, Whizzer motorbike, apart when I was 15. After extensive muddling, I got it back together and it actually ran. I have been wrenching ever since and loving it. This winter, I'll be removing the differential from the '65 for an overhaul, getting an '87 Fiero back on the road and overhauling the brake system on my '55 Willys pickup. I'll admit that I'm slowing down a bit, so if any of you want to drop in and lend a hand, there's plenty of cold brew in the fridge.
A Whizzer! I saw one of those on an episode of American Pickers. The name got my attention.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page