Do you ever get tired of wrenching? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 25Likes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:02 PM

You 70+ year old timers give me hope. What a bunch of badasses.

I enjoyed the heck outta reading this.

Cheers and Beers!
Hodge
lucasp and joespony67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 PM

Garage
I will be 59 in another month & as long as my back is not acting up I love it still whether it is our DD vehicles, my wife's bike, or my Mustang. Some days I can work for hours & others the aches & pains say no more after only a couple hours. As long as I can still get in & under the vehicles I will continue wrenching on them.
lucasp likes this.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscc1 View Post
I'm a 61 year old guy that grew up in Dearborn Heights, MI with both parents working for Ford Motor. I've owned my share of Ford muscle and as a Sunday mechanic have done my share of wrenching. Does there ever become a time in your life when you just want to get in and drive without wondering what do I need to do next to my vintage mustang to make it handle better, go faster, become more reliable? I love the look and performance of the new stuff. Just looking for an opinion or two from you Seniors out there. Thanks
I am there now. In the early 80's I restored a couple of mid-60's Corvettes. Each day I would hit the garage and work until exhausted late into the night. Currently, and retired at 54, I am replacing the steering and suspension on my 73 Mach 1 and it is about killing me. The removal of the 43 year old kit has been a bear. It is now moving along with a SoT coil over but I was close to killing the deal. It seems, for me, that patience is lost with age.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Garage
It's my therapy...if I didnt have things to wrench on I'd probably go nuts.

By day, I lead a team of software engineers. Managing their workloads, answering their questions, guiding them where need be, dealing with all the political bs...and generally trying to keep everyone happy winds me up tighter than a drum and kind of stresses me out.

Cars and motorcycles dont talk...they dont ask me questions...they present me problems that I can generally solve silently (other than the noise of the solution). Plus, there's something cathartic about the sound of a ratchet...or beating something into submission with a big a$$ hammer.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
It's my therapy...if I didn't have things to wrench on I'd probably go nuts.

RIP Son
Nathan 09-23-95 - 07-08-14
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 AM

Garage
I never get tired of wrenching. Now welding, grinding and sanding are another thing. I do not do well with slow, tedious things that seem to take forever. I get tired of those really fast. I am in weld and grind mode right now and have been for a while. I am seriously ready to do something else.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:48 AM

I am 56 and I do my wrenching as necessary. Sometimes I literally have to drag myself outside to start the job. Other times, I have planned ahead and get on it with enthusiasm. We have 3+ vehicles at home and it seems one or the other needs attention to keep it on the road. I am getting ready to learn about motorcycle engines after taking my grandson out for a long ride on our dirt bike and it suddenly died and started leaking oil...that's never a good sign. When folks find out that I do my own work, they ask me, "Are you a mechanic?" My answer is, "Yes I am. On my own vehicles."

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page