Anyone using the Holley Sniper EFI yet? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub4u View Post
I agree, but wonder what all is needed if you're not going to have the unit control timing.
If the Sniper isn't going to control timing it can work with virtually any ignition system, even points. Holley suggests initially setting it up without timing control to ease trouble shooting. For timing control, Holley would like to sell you one of their nice, expensive MSD magnetic or Dual Sync distributors. But I think there's cheaper alternative magnetic pickup distributors that can work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:20 PM

Talked to Holley today. They said its capable of boost but needs the "super sniper software" which will be available in 30-60 days.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub4u View Post
Pretty interesting to see that there was thwt much of a difference between the two. But it does make me wonder if this person is in the business for holley. It seems like a lot of the issues that plague fitech are user error. Not saying this was his case but how/why did you mess with it for 10 months and nothing improve?
I can't speak to the "Sniper" specifically, but I can attest that the "Terminator" was just as simple and straightforward as that review suggests. I bolted that to my car and it's been bullet proof solid tire burning performance right out of the box!! No hassle, no fiddling with things...answer the questions the hand held asks and enjoy the ride!

***I'm not a Holley shill***

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:07 AM

On a further note...

What exactly is the difference between the Sniper and Terminator?

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
On a further note...

Terminator was a movie by Arnold Scwharzenegger and Sniper starred Tom Berenger and Billy Zane

Sorry, I couldn't resist

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
On a further note...

Sniper EFI is a self contained TBI unit that includes built in ECU and fuel regulator. It is compatible with a range of Holley EFI accessories like gauges and and digital dash screens via simple CAN bus connections. It is compact and similar in appearance to FiTech. https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys...on/sniper_efi/

Terminator EFI uses the separate HP ECU. The throttle body itself seems to have similar performance to Sniper, but the HP ECU is very powerful and the system highly customizable and used in NASCAR. It is compatible with Holley EFI accessories via Can bus. The separate ECU involves much more wiring. It is easily twice the price of Sniper if you are stating from scratch.

TERMINATOR EFI 4BBL THROTTLE BODY FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM -

HP EFI ECU
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Terminator was a movie by Arnold Scwharzenegger and Sniper starred Tom Berenger and Billy Zane

Sorry, I couldn't resist

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Anyone on here getting a Sniper unit installed and working?

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 AM

I just installed one in my 67.

XE262 cam
Weiand Stealth manifold
AFR 165 heads
2.5" dual exhaust
5 speed
Tanks Inc EFI tank with internal pump
Set up as a returnless system - I did what they say not to do which is run the regulator and return near the tank. I have an in dash fuel pressure gauge measuring at the TBI and I don't see fluctuations and everything runs well.

I previously had a PowerJection III that was always causing me grief. I actually quit driving the car because I was too frustrated to want to deal with it. When I saw the Sniper, I figured the price point was worth giving it a try. So far I am pleased with the way it is working. I only have a few days on it, the only issue I am running into is when coasting to a stop in gear then pushing the clutch in just as I stop, sometimes the engine will stall or get near stall. I can see the mixture going way lean just before this happens. I have been making some adjustments that seem to help. Only been one day but no stalls, a few near stalls that recover.

Still need to clean up some wiring, but all is running.

Overall I am pleased with the TBI and install.

Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sniper-01.jpg (98.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Sniper-02.jpg (97.9 KB, 86 views)
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel67 View Post
- I did what they say not to do which is run the regulator and return near the tank.
Who says not to do this and why?
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

I don't recall where I read most of this. It was back when I did the initial install. one of the reasons is it supposedly hammers the fuel and makes fuel control difficult, especially if you run steel line all the way up. Another was it is preferred to regulate on the return line ( like the Holley has built in ). Most of it was around not getting steady fuel pressure that way. I run a short rubber line from the regulator to the main steel line which runs to the engine compartment. from there it's about 3 feet of braided rubber to the fuel inlet. I adjust the pressure so that it is correct at the TBI. Has not been an issue. I am not using any of the fancy pump controls or fuel controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
Who says not to do this and why?
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Doesn't the Sniper internally regulate the fuel pressure?

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel67 View Post
I don't recall where I read most of this. It was back when I did the initial install. one of the reasons is it supposedly hammers the fuel and makes fuel control difficult, especially if you run steel line all the way up. Another was it is preferred to regulate on the return line ( like the Holley has built in ). Most of it was around not getting steady fuel pressure that way. I run a short rubber line from the regulator to the main steel line which runs to the engine compartment. from there it's about 3 feet of braided rubber to the fuel inlet. I adjust the pressure so that it is correct at the TBI. Has not been an issue. I am not using any of the fancy pump controls or fuel controls.
wait... so you can get away WITHOUT running a return fuel line all the way back to the tank??

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
wait... so you can get away WITHOUT running a return fuel line all the way back to the tank??
Is that possible with the amount of fuel going into the TB, the excess needs to go somewhere.

1969 Mustang Convertible
302, C4, P/S, P/B, A/C, FiTech EFI
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:27 PM

There is no "excess" going to the TB. The regulator pressurizes the line to the TB to working pressure. The excess is routed back the the tank by the regulator. On my car this is all done right at the tank. So there is one pressure regulated line that goes up to the TB. Some explanation,

In a static case ( TB not flowing fuel but fuel pump on ). the pressure in the line is the same anywhere between the regulator and the TB regardless of restrictions in the line ( kinks, sharp bends, size changes...).

Once fuel starts to flow the restrictions matter. If there is a sudden fuel demand, the pressure will drop on the downstream side of the restriction. If it isn't too big of a flow change, the regulator and pump should be able to keep up. This is minimized when the regulator is at the TB, but then you need that return line.

There have been several ways to do a returnless system, Fuel on demand PWM control of the fuel pump. This I think has been problematic in most systems. Another is to use an accumulator to store fuel under working pressure to help accommodate sudden fuel demand, if the accumulator holds much more fuel than what is in the line to the TB, can work well. Some have combined an accumulator with a PWM pump system.

My system is more like a plain accumulator system where the fuel lines are the accumulator. I used 3/8 steel line to run from the tank to engine bay, more fuel line than my car needs. The steel line is not great as an accumulator, but I also have rubber line which is better. High pressure rubber line tank to TB would have been best. As it is, the system works. I might notice a slight lean condition initially when I stomp on it, but it is quickly resolved. I don't really know if the lean is from a pressure drop or the fuel table not being perfect. I do not see a fuel drop on my gauge where the sender is mounted directly to my TB.

Anyway, there are ways to do it without a return line from the TB to the tank.

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbui View Post
Is that possible with the amount of fuel going into the TB, the excess needs to go somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page