where to buy a dual master cylinder - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 228
where to buy a dual master cylinder

I'm looking to remove the original master cylinder and replace it with a dual cylinder, this is on a 1964 mustang 6 cylinder with all original drum brakes. this is manual brakes, (not power assist brakes)

I am concerned this project may be slightly more complicated because the brake light switch is on the master cylinder. I would like to keep the car as close to original as practical.

I also read about some issues with various push rod lengths.

1. is there one with a brake switch??

2. where should I buy? local parts store??

Last edited by toad; 11-28-2016 at 03:14 AM.
toad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 9,420
Get a dual MC for a '67 Mustang with drum brakes. Disconnect the rear wheel brake line from the distribution block. Buy an adapter with 3/16" Inverted Flare Male to 1/8" NPT threads. Screw that into the port in the distribution block where the rear brake line was. Screw your brake light switch into the adapter. Connect the distribution valve to the rear port on the MC. Connect a short line from the front port on the MC to the rear wheel brake line using a 3/16" Inverted Flare Union. Good to go.

BrakeBest Brakes 10-1485 - Master Cylinder | O'Reilly Auto Parts
rbohm and Woodchuck like this.
awhtx is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
qbui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,851
Contact Dan @ Chockostang. He's a forum member and have helped many members with their brake needs and is very knowledgeable. He should be able to get you what you need or at least tell you what you need to purchase.
rpm likes this.

1969 Mustang Convertible
302, C4, P/S, P/B, A/C, FiTech EFI
qbui is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 224
Garage
I just did the conversion on my 66 last week. I tried buying a 67 master cylinder and some lines from Oreilly but the lines and adapters that were available would have made a sloppy conversion. I returned everything to Oreilly and ordered a kit from CJPONY. http://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogse...conversion+kit The kit did not have the adapter (see picture) for the front of the manifold. Back to Oreilly and got one.

I am not overly impressed with the installation, but it works great.

PM me if you go that route. You could put the brake lite switch where the plug goes in the manifold.

yarb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.JPG (97.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (92.9 KB, 51 views)

1966 Mustang Convertible, 289 cid, 4 spd.
This care has been in the family since it was purchased new in 66.

Last edited by yarb; 11-28-2016 at 11:00 AM.
yarb is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
GT289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 8,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I'm looking to remove the original master cylinder and replace it with a dual cylinder, this is on a 1964 mustang 6 cylinder with all original drum brakes. this is manual brakes, (not power assist brakes)

I am concerned this project may be slightly more complicated because the brake light switch is on the master cylinder. I would like to keep the car as close to original as practical.

I also read about some issues with various push rod lengths.

1. is there one with a brake switch??

2. where should I buy? local parts store??
Be careful with the pushrod length. That's the only tricky item.
I usually use an adjustable one. You want enough pedal
travel overall so you get the benefit of having a dual chamber
master cylinder. (lots written about this subject on VMF)

I've done a lot of brake work over the years. I've never seen a
dual chamber master with an extra port for a pressure (brake
light) switch. The fitting used to be more commonly available
in retail. It's been awhile since I've seen one in a store. Last
swap I did to a dual chamber master was a couple of months
ago. I got the fitting on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C01DHE...l_7ybgst9lnm_b

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 9,420
The description of that fitting says that all 3 ports are threaded 3/8"-24 Inverted Flare and says nothing about a port being threaded 3/8"-27 NPT.
awhtx is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
rbohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: tucson, az
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Get a dual MC for a '67 Mustang with drum brakes. Disconnect the rear wheel brake line from the distribution block. Buy an adapter with 3/16" Inverted Flare Male to 1/8" NPT threads. Screw that into the port in the distribution block where the rear brake line was. Screw your brake light switch into the adapter. Connect the distribution valve to the rear port on the MC. Connect a short line from the front port on the MC to the rear wheel brake line using a 3/16" Inverted Flare Union. Good to go.

BrakeBest Brakes 10-1485 - Master Cylinder | O'Reilly Auto Parts
this is basically what i did with my 64 falcon when i converted it to a dual master cylinder. i used the push rod from the falcon though, mostly because it was rather difficult to remove. it sounds harder than it really is unless you can visualize the necessary plumbing that needs to be done.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
GT289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 8,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
The description of that fitting says that all 3 ports are threaded 3/8"-24 Inverted Flare and says nothing about a port being threaded 3/8"-27 NPT.
You have to hear all the words coming from my mouth, not just the ones
you like.
Look at the product description (Inverted Flare Tee 3/16in w/ 1/8NPT Female)
or the title of the item.
I will admit it's a horrible Amazon product listing.

But honestly, didn't you see the statement where I just used that part
number on a vehicle a couple of months back?
Although the idiots here just passed the marijuana "law" doesn't mean all in
California are smoking it up.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Target's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,668
Garage
I still have the dual bowl MC off of my '67. Six cylinder drum brake car. Seems like it's exactly what you need. If you're willing to wait two weeks, we can work something out.

1967 Mustang w/ 302 4bbl - Build Thread
1967 Galaxie Wagon w/ 289 2bbl
1972 Honda CL350 - Parked since 1978 in a barn.
1976 Triumph Bonneville

Currently an Automotive Restoration Student at McPherson College.
Target is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I still have the dual bowl MC off of my '67. Six cylinder drum brake car. Seems like it's exactly what you need. If you're willing to wait two weeks, we can work something out.
Interesting, Thank You, I would still need to get the hose adapter kit, and I am thinking a rebuilt one would be a better choice, but how old is yours? and what condition??


thanks (:
toad is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: lehighAcres Florida
Posts: 5
Garage
Mustang Dual Bowl Master Cylinder Conversion Non Power Drum Brakes OE Steel Kit 1965-1966 | CJ Pony Parts




The posted videos links above may help you with your project.


Hope this helps.


F.R.G.

"Good is expensive."
F.R.G. is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 AM
PetesPonies
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have always used a '67 MC. But many say the Maverick MC is a better choice.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 9,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
You have to hear all the words coming from my mouth, not just the ones
you like.
Look at the product description (Inverted Flare Tee 3/16in w/ 1/8NPT Female)
or the title of the item.
I will admit it's a horrible Amazon product listing.

But honestly, didn't you see the statement where I just used that part
number on a vehicle a couple of months back?
Although the idiots here just passed the marijuana "law" doesn't mean all in
California are smoking it up.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I don't smoke and I can read.
I was just pointing out to any potential purchasers of the T fitting that the product title and description do not match each other and he/she may want to confirm that they will receive the proper T should they order it.
awhtx is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Woodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Peoples Republic of Vermont
Posts: 33,322
Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I have always used a '67 MC. But many say the Maverick MC is a better choice.
The typical "Maverick" master cylinder, MC36440, is a disc/drum unit.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Woodchuck is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM
PetesPonies
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
When you say typical . . you mean what most people use I 'spose. . . as many are looking for a disc upgrade. But the early Mavericks were 10" drum fronts, even for the V8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome