Vue EPAS coupler - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bacchus203
  • 1 Post By Grabber Blu

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Vue EPAS coupler

Has anyone made a coupler from the U-joint on the Saturn intermediate shaft? This would mate the 36 spline output shaft on the EPAS motor to my mustang shaft.

The goal in mating the Vue EPAS to my early 67 coupe (has the long shaft), is to make it as simple and rigid as possible. Seems the simplest, most straight forward way to marry the two is by a coupler. Most all the posts I've seen maintain the Saturn intermediate shaft.
Does it make sense to have a machine shop cut and weld the splined coupler from the u joint (leaving only the splined section), then welding a standard 3/4 DD coupler to the other end? Or does it make more sense to just leave the U-joint as is and weld the DD coupler to the end of the Saturn shaft?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161128_133226_1480362504125.jpg (93.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20161128_133234_1480362548272.jpg (87.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20161128_133250_1480362597425.jpg (86.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20161128_133259_1480362645250.jpg (86.8 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Garage
That is what I did. Cut down the coupler, bored it out to 3/4" and welded it to the shaft. Mine is a 68 so it will be a bit different than the early 67.

There was a member who made a DD shaft by grinding the original mustang shaft down. I will see if I can find a picture.

68Hildago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welded1.jpg (24.4 KB, 30 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:10 PM

Garage
The member was bacchus203

Here is a link to his post with pictures.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...ml#post6133553

68Hildago...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Glad to know someone else went this route. You're the only one I've seen so far that does not have a u-joint somewhere in the mix, which would seem to be the best way to go if one is not needed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:21 PM

Garage
Yeah I also did not think one was needed as everything should be 100% in-line if done correctly. I drove mine all summer without a single issue.

I just helped my twin brother install his EPAS into his 68. He also did not use any u-joints.

People will argue both ways, "Yes you need one" and "No you don't". If you read the entire EPAS thread, there was some saying they have seen examples where the u-joint was wearing out.

68Hildago...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hildago View Post
The member was bacchus203

Here is a link to his post with pictures.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...ml#post6133553

68Hildago...
It would have been possible to cut the shaft under the dash and file it down to a DD and not use the U-Joint as I think you are suggesting. And with the coupler attached to the EPAS output shaft, you could easily slide it onto the end of the original mustang shaft.

68Hildago likes this.

'67 Coupe, 347 w/ Holley Terminator EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Bacchus203 - I have read your contributions to the "Best $200 Mod" many times as I go through this project... THANK YOU! You were extremely helpful and concise in your explanations (and continue to be). Yes, I plan on doing exactly that... cutting under the dash, filing the Mustang shaft to a DD, then I will modify the U-Joint to retain the splined section and weld the DD coupler to the other end.

Is there any trick to filing the shaft to a DD? Just a file and check the fitment of the DD every now and again?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldorris View Post
Bacchus203 - I have read your contributions to the "Best $200 Mod" many times as I go through this project... THANK YOU! You were extremely helpful and concise in your explanations (and continue to be). Yes, I plan on doing exactly that... cutting under the dash, filing the Mustang shaft to a DD, then I will modify the U-Joint to retain the splined section and weld the DD coupler to the other end.

Is there any trick to filing the shaft to a DD? Just a file and check the fitment of the DD every now and again?
Since I was doing it in the engine compartment, I used a grinding disc to knock a lot off, then just a file to fine tune it. It is soft, so just a file would work as well. The only trick is, on the DD coupler, run a file inside the edge a little to cleanup any burs. I kept filing away at the steering shaft to what should have been the DD dimensions and it did not want to go on, then I cleaned up the edges of the coupler and it went right on.

'67 Coupe, 347 w/ Holley Terminator EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Listen I can't take credit for it but, someone in the massive $200 EPS thread came up with this. The idea is great and requires no welding.

Take the Vue upper u-joint apart and the lower Vue joint apart and combine the two. You end up with the correct spline for the output shaft of the motor and 3/4" double D on the other side of you new "conversion" U joint.

I know the joints are staked but cam be taken apart and restaked.

Larry
ldorris likes this.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page