Fuel Pressure Regulator - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By Boom
  • 1 Post By donkeykong

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I'm going to install a Holley Terminator system here in a couple weeks and I'm trying to get some ideas ahead of time. For those of you that have EFI where did you locate your fuel pressure regulator? Pictures would be awesome. My engine bay is super clean and my firewall is smoothed except for required holes so I'm going to try and hide it as much as possible but who knows. Thanks!

1965 Coupe - Wimbledon White Road Race Car
1967 Coupe - Red Street Cruiser
Bunch of other non-Ford cars no one will car about
US Navy MMCPO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:19 PM

With all the EFI conversions I'm a bit surprised no one's chimed in. I'm wondering myself as the regulator and return are the most involved part of the swap, at least for me. I talked to Holley and asked if I could put the regulator back by the tank because that would really simplify things, they want it close to the throttle body. (this is for a Terminator Stealth but cant see it being much different.) I've also found some references to people that have done just that without issue, so I'm leaning that route. It wouldn't be too difficult to change if it didn't work right. Can't see how it wouldn't though, Holley themselves sell a fuel module that goes in tank that doesn't require a regulator since it bypasses there, and newer cars have gone returnless...........hopefully some experienced users will post their thoughts...

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Holley actually sells an inline filter/regulator/return that is designed specifically to go as close to the tank as possible as a viable option, but I already have a bypass regulator. I think I'll probably end up putting it on the fender apron down by the idler arm but haven't decided yet, I too thought there would be some pictures floating around but no biggie, I'll figure it out and post some

US Navy MMCPO

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The regulator should be as close as possible to the injectors. It needs to react to pressure changes due to varying injector pulse-width and not be affected by the potential pressure loss over a long length of tube.
bacchus203 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
The regulator should be as close as possible to the injectors. It needs to react to pressure changes due to varying injector pulse-width and not be affected by the potential pressure loss over a long length of tube.
I'm aware, I'm trying to get ideas on what people have already done...

I'll probably fab a bracket up to put it on the back of the intake manifold area off the head. If I don't like that I'll go with somewhere on the apron, I'm not really wanting to put it on the firewall.

US Navy MMCPO
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I'd probably run the fuel line up the tunnel so it comes up the firewall behind the motor on the passenger side and place the regulator directly behind the TBI unit on a manifold bracket...short vacuum line to a manifold tap.....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 PM

If you are going for a clean look, why not install a system with an integral CPU and regulator? For instance the new Holley Sniper EFI. At a minimum it only needs a positive, negative, pink wire and coil connection. It has a built in regulator that needs 60 PSI. And the usual O2 and temp senders. It's compatible with many of the new Holley CAN-bus gauges too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Both the Holley Sniper and FiTech have built in regulators. I would imagine as mentioned you want it as close to the unit as possible. Unless you make a bracket to mount it over a valve cover you are limited to either the firewall or inner fender well.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I already have the Terminator system so any suggestions on what to go with are completely irrelevant. I'm well aware of where the thing needs to go in relationship to my throttle body, I'm not asking for any explanations on that, I'm asking to see where people have put theirs that have them...

US Navy MMCPO
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'd probably run the fuel line up the tunnel so it comes up the firewall behind the motor on the passenger side and place the regulator directly behind the TBI unit on a manifold bracket...short vacuum line to a manifold tap.....
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, that area already has AC hoses there so a couple fuel lines would be relatively easy to hide in there and not stand out too bad.

US Navy MMCPO
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 AM

Do you have enough room to mount it behind the TBI unit? I've seen some brackets that mount to the rear carb bolts, not sure on the room with the Terminator unit. Should be mostly hidden once the air cleaner is on so it shouldn't clutter the engine bay.
Woodchuck likes this.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1032 View Post
I already have the Terminator system so any suggestions on what to go with are completely irrelevant. I'm well aware of where the thing needs to go in relationship to my throttle body, I'm not asking for any explanations on that, I'm asking to see where people have put theirs that have them...
You know, I'm not exactly sure where mine is on my Terminator unit, I forgot. I'll take a picture this afternoon and post it for you.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Sorry, I didn't have time to get to the garage yesterday and was out of town for work today. I'll get a picture tonight when I get home.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM

This isn't the best of pictures...but you can clearly see the regulator. It seemed to be as good a place as any, I know there was some discussion about it should be closer to the throttle body...but it's now 2 seasons sine it's been installed and there hasn't been a single issue!

sr1032 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page