Fender to door gap issue - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
What Caper50 is talking about: The front (A) should be 11 1/8". The rear (B) should be 13 3/8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64-65MustangFrame.jpg (92.3 KB, 43 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

No guys I was not aware of that. When I was searching this site about taking these measurements I read some debate about the accuracy of the Liskey diagram but not that specifically. That is definitely something I will revisit.
I did these measurements back in July and was going off memory so I went out to the shop and found the notepad I was recording them on. I do see now that all three cars measured 7 to 7 1/4" at the spring bracket which Liskey has at 6.5", and the rail/floor support intersection were at all around 6 7/8" to 7 1/8" which Liskey has at 6". Curiously the crossmember area measured around 13" just as Liskey does.
Since all 3 cars were consistent I assumed all was ok, and I guess still may be. But next step will be to remeasure using the correct starting points.
Thanks for the help.

Jody

68 Mustang
347/TKO
used to be fast...

66 Mustang Fastback project

build thread http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ack-build.html
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh68 View Post
No guys I was not aware of that. When I was searching this site about taking these measurements I read some debate about the accuracy of the Liskey diagram but not that specifically. That is definitely something I will revisit.
I did these measurements back in July and was going off memory so I went out to the shop and found the notepad I was recording them on. I do see now that all three cars measured 7 to 7 1/4" at the spring bracket which Liskey has at 6.5", and the rail/floor support intersection were at all around 6 7/8" to 7 1/8" which Liskey has at 6". Curiously the crossmember area measured around 13" just as Liskey does.
Since all 3 cars were consistent I assumed all was ok, and I guess still may be. But next step will be to remeasure using the correct starting points.
Thanks for the help.
I am having the same problem as you. Exactly the same problem. Mine is on a 1967 though. What did you end up finding was the issue?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

This is probably too late to help lowlyslows, but I'll make this post hoping it may help someone in the future.
The radiator support was indeed "low" on the car. My mistake was using the export brace as my only reference. The export brace did not drop right in, but needed some prying, which is not unusual. I believe this created a tension that was pushing foward on the shock towers, so that when I removed the toe boards and floor pan, the front clip pivoted at the firewall, with the rear floor supports going up and the radiator support going down.
If I had installed the doors and fenders during the process this could have easily been avoided. Rookie mistake.

I still do not understand why I could not measure a significant difference between this car and the other two parts cars.

This is how the gaps look today. The passenger's side is very consistent and the drivers side is still slightly wider at the top,but workable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190630_113743_HDR.jpg (140.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20190630_113749_HDR.jpg (236.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20190630_113722_HDR.jpg (157.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190630_113727_HDR.jpg (180.5 KB, 2 views)
Huntingky likes this.

Jody

68 Mustang
347/TKO
used to be fast...

66 Mustang Fastback project

build thread http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ack-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page