Soft start fan controllers - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Soft start fan controllers

Looking for a variable speed controller for running dual fans. I am running contour fans and am having large amp spikes initially so im trying to find a reliable one with a soft start mode. I was looking at flex a lite 31165. I know the brand and hear good things. There is also an autocoolguy.com but cant find any reviews about him other than on his own site. Seems like they are made at his home or something? Im looking for reliability and longevity-i like to put miles on my car so it will see heavy usage hoping you guys have some good input or other options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Supporting Member

Those fan setups for Contour had a resistor for the use of a low speed relay for one fan. The other fan would for high speed usings its own relay. I would work an idea to use a Flexolite product for your "low speed fan" and control the "hi speed" fan separatly. Fans can be hooked upped in series than parrallel for high speed control depending on controller types. The use of dual control fans is easier in the long run on the charging system.

1969 Mach 1 S code...2nd owner
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

So you mean that in a contour even if both fans were on, one was on low speed run through the resistor and other was wired for high speed?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 PM

i have the flexalite VSC for the contour fan. The first one i had crapped out in less than 3 months and with a single fan. They sent me a new one without issue and so far its doing ok.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Check out Delta Current Control. Its a simple and clean setup.
Rorin67 likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslorenz View Post
So you mean that in a contour even if both fans were on, one was on low speed run through the resistor and other was wired for high speed?

Yes. But just to be absolute what year assembly do you have?

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
When I got my contour fan setup, they were wired in parallel from the factory. So BOTH fans were either running high or low speed. I setup my flex-a-lite speed controller on the high speed side so I can have high cfm flow when needed. I put a switch with a timer on the low speed side so I can just hit the switch when I leave the car and it runs for 4 minutes.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Testing my memory from two years ago but it was early 2000's. I want to say 2002. I had thought about wiring one to come on with the controller and running the second one to come on with a switch if it got too hot. But i dont really like the thought of if i dont catch it rising and it gets too hot and causes damage. There's enough to worry about just other people on the road anymore. Everyone likes to text and drive and constantly have to watch for people wandering into your lane ect. Because they arent actually driving
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 02:25 PM

are the current spikes causing problems? how are you measuring the current spikes? have you considered adding a capacitor to isolate the current demand?
rpm likes this.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I have a voltmeter inside the car and when the fans kick on they "shock" the system. Everytime they comr on they kick the volts from about 15 volts to around 11-13 volts then it will kick back up to 15 volts. I have a 3g alternator on. I have also changed through multiple grounds and have tried different wire thicknesses. All with the same "shock" the more they kick on especially when its a frequent on/off on hot days the shock will bring the volts down everytime. Im afraid eventually it will drain the system entirely or burn something up
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
When I'm out in my detached garage the lights dim a split second when the heat pump kicks on in the main house. Same thing, and it's how these things work. If it bothers you anyway then consider setting up to turn on one fan at a time and/or a two speed controller. These will help your peace of mind but the "shock" voltage drop doesn't hurt anything. Electric motors have been doing that as long as they have existed.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I totally see what your saying. But then wouldn't every car now have the same problem? Just about everything has electric fans now?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Modern fans are controlled by computers and sometimes multiple relays. One of the last OEM dual speed soft start style relays people figured out how to retrofit to address your concerns is a Volvo 850 fan relay setup. I had one I was going to figure out but somebody traded me out of before I got the chance. I've yet to score another. The info is out there to be Googled. They're pretty popular. Say what you will about Volvo's being odd but you can't deny them lasting. I'd prefer one of their used relays over any new aftermarket version for reliability.

Modern fans are sometimes pulse width modulated to get past the same issues that concern you. Messing with such setups is over my head.
rpm likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Testing my memory from two years ago but it was early 2000's. I want to say 2002. I had thought about wiring one to come on with the controller and running the second one to come on with a switch if it got too hot. But i dont really like the thought of if i dont catch it rising and it gets too hot and causes damage. There's enough to worry about just other people on the road anymore. Everyone likes to text and drive and constantly have to watch for people wandering into your lane ect. Because they arent actually driving

The latest model V-6 Contour used both fans electrically in paraellel of each other. Still uses a low fan relay w/resistor for low fan control for both fans and a high fan relay that feeds both fans at battery voltage. "bdub4u" Set-up would the best.

As far as your voltage spike issue I would be looking at the main current carriers. The power & ground supplies to tha fans. How do have hooked up/where and approx wire size?

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:22 PM
fej

I am running the Volvo 850 OEM relay, but without real world usage yet. Dual speed single 16" fan (also OEM Volvo 8/9 series). My first thought reading this was to check out what Ford did in the contour from a relay standpoint and try and use that. OEM product certainly gets put through the ringer from a test and use standpoint, I would start there.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page