Cost of a paint job - Vintage Mustang Forums
 43Likes

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Firefly Crew Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Cost of a paint job

I think this is going to be a hot topic... kind of like Canon vs. Nikon (do NOT get me started!! lol! )

My pretty common '65 Coupe is now ready for a little body (very little - new hood, one headlight cover, grill) and complete paint.

Without even seeing it, one shop estimated $10k (siting $1100/gallon for paint), and the other $10K to $30K. This was even after I said this was a basic paint job - no show quality, etc. The guy sounded like he was on drugs (maybe at that $30k price?). Still shopping around. I'm not after a maaco special, but $10k and up seems just downright stupid if it just sits in a garage, covered, and maybe goes out once a week in good weather.

I am after new seals on the windows, glass/lights removed, engine compartment not touched except for underneath the new hood), and I'm putting in the new rear and front light kits. Nor does the interior of the trunk need paint except for the underside of the trunk lid itself. No interior painting done at all either.

Thoughts/Comments? This should be a good one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 PM

I am in the same situation. The problem that I am finding is that no reputable restoration shop wants to do a daily driver type paint job. The places that I have visited do not want to put their name on an inferior product because it can be bad advertising. Therefore, the price always seems to start around $15-20k (with minimal bodywork).

You might have to find yourself an up and coming shop that is not yet full of themselves.
If anyone knows a place like this in the DFW area, please PM me

Dcubedus

Nightmist Blue 67 Coupe (C Code - C4) - Owned since 1987
Nightmist Blue 67 GT Fastback (S Code - 4spd) - Owned since 2013
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Don't knock the MAACO paint job. If you do the prep work it can be more than acceptable for a daily driver. You might even be able to supply the paint and have them spray it.
Marty65, rpm, Caper50 and 3 others like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 PM

$10k can be reasonable if you're using a metallic paint and if the paint shop is having to completely disassemble and reassemble your car. Labor costs really add up.

However, if you send the car to them already stripped of trim and other components that get in the way of a paint job, then that usually should save you quite a bit. Even better if you strip the old paint off of the car as well! You can save a lot of cash with some legwork on your end.

Without seeing the car it's hard to know what work it needs, but since prices are higher in the PNW, I would think that $5000-7000 is probably more ballpark for a driver job where you do some of the disassembly yourself.

Paint is definitely not $1100 per gallon though!! Even my highly pearlescent PPG paint was only $865/gallon.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 PM

Having completed all the mechanical upgrades and rebuilds, the final task on my '66 is paint. My car is a daily driver and was only repainted once in it's lifetime. It is very straight and totally rust free. I'm looking for what I would consider a "re-paint"(similar to what you describe). I want the very stable materials on the car block sanded to remove most of the the minor imperfections and re-shoot it the same color. The estimates I've received range from $6500 - $18000. I will say that I am having a very hard time finding a shop that will even do anything less than a full restoration. Many have told me that they just aren't interested.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 03-31-2017 at 07:40 PM.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 PM

Well . . . this is a tough question. Most of the body shops I know make their money on insurance / collision jobs. Many have been "roped in to a classic restoration" and have lost lots of money, had hard feelings and had folks not satisfied with "driver quality" that has their name on it. If I were you I would check with others in you area (hit a cruise night or show & shine) and talk to the owners of the finish you are looking for and see what they paid and who did the work. It will not be cheap. when I redid mine the paint cost about $2,500. I just checked and the local jobber is getting $600-$800 a gallon for Dupont - chroma base coat PLUS hardener and reducer. It's not cheap. Mel
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM

It really depends on your definition of a "paint job". 20-30 years ago a paint job was just that, a paint job. Today's definition seems to be a complete body restoration. Sounds like you want the old fashioned paint job with a few extras. Find a body man to do it on his off hours or an advanced hobbyist but you'll need to do most of the grunt work and the paint doesn't need to be the top tier line.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 PM

Garage
Check with the local paint supply store, they know everybody that buys paint and usually know their reputation and quality of work. You will be surprised how many great painters DON'T work at commercial body shops! That's an inside tip at no charge! Lol!
Marty65, Israel, 7Dpilot and 2 others like this.

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:00 PM

Join a Mustang club. Chances are they will know or have a painter in the club. BTW, MAACO was listed in Mustang Monthly a while back as one of the best places for paint jobs. Personally they would be not my first choice, but they wouldn't be my last choice either.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM

I've always thought if people brought their cars to me prepped and ready to spray I'd make some bank because there'd have to be a huge line of people wanting this. This is the age old question, $10k is reasonable and typical.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM

I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!! I own a business in the petroleum equipment industry and have often thought about the money made on any given liquid (gas, diesel, etc.). Well, paint ranks WAY up there. As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lawson View Post
I think this is going to be a hot topic... kind of like Canon vs. Nikon (do NOT get me started!! lol! )

My pretty common '65 Coupe is now ready for a little body (very little - new hood, one headlight cover, grill) and complete paint.

Without even seeing it, one shop estimated $10k (siting $1100/gallon for paint), and the other $10K to $30K. This was even after I said this was a basic paint job - no show quality, etc. The guy sounded like he was on drugs (maybe at that $30k price?). Still shopping around. I'm not after a maaco special, but $10k and up seems just downright stupid if it just sits in a garage, covered, and maybe goes out once a week in good weather.

I am after new seals on the windows, glass/lights removed, engine compartment not touched except for underneath the new hood), and I'm putting in the new rear and front light kits. Nor does the interior of the trunk need paint except for the underside of the trunk lid itself. No interior painting done at all either.

Thoughts/Comments? This should be a good one....
Where are you located at in the Pacific Northwest?
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
I usually don't chime in on paint, simply because I'm no painter and would never claim to be. However, it appears to me (and any of the painters on the forum can feel free to correct me) that the major cost in a paint job is, wait for it, the PAINT!! I own a business in the petroleum equipment industry and have often thought about the money made on any given liquid (gas, diesel, etc.). Well, paint ranks WAY up there. As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen
And that is JUST PAINT! Not to mention the necessary reducer, and good clear isn't free either...when we painted my 69 BOSSSVT in 2010 the paint and supporting chemicals were over $1800....and that is my wholesale account cost!

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
As the OP stated, $1100 per gallon of paint (and that may very well be "cheap" paint).

Allen
I don't care if $1,100/gal paint IS cheap paint. That is damned expensive paint to me!! I am still getting used to the $200 primer from SPI (and that gives me 2 gallons!!). The primer now sounds cheap!
Israel and 69bosssvt like this.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Firefly Crew Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I'm in Portland, so I'm sure the recycling costs, business fees in Portland (the 25k place), green fees (not talking golf....), coffee fees, and other herbal requirements could have something to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page