Global West Suspension Review and Install - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 32Likes

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
OMG Jsams, I had NO idea there was an 'off the shelf' Fox shock available for our classic mustangs!! Thank you SO much for enlightening me, because as a SF Bay Area motocross and mountain bike guy I've still got a 'connection' to the Fox suspension that's been making everything bounce better since I was a kid mx racer!!

You NAILED my needs to a 'T'; monotube DIGRESSIVE valving! That means it can be firm cornering (slow piston speeds) but if you hit a sharp bump (faster piston speed), the shock valving 'knows' and softens up. It's the best of both worlds. Who's tried these, guys?? Somebody review these please...

Single adjustable valving from soft street to stiff race? Not clear if that single adjustment is rebound or compression or a little of BOTH? But I've got faith it's a damn good 'made in USA' product. All that for only $180 per shock? That's not pricey that's a bargain. Why isn't EVERYONE running those? In the past the Fox Shox company has been the kinda place you could bring your shock back to, and for a small fee they'd rebuild and/or revalve the shock to your liking if your needs didn't meet the range of production.

Pics attached below, dang link didn't work.

The only thing better, in my vivid imagination, would have been to have the shock body flipped upside-down, removing it's weight from the moving (unsprung) part of the suspension, and a reservoir, on a ss hose, at the top that can expand the oil/nitrogen capacity for even greater performance and valving adjustability. The only ones close would be $1,500 JRI, Penske, etc.

I'm all roller everything too. Roller spring perches etc., so this is my missing link. Wish they had heim instead of poly bushings but maybe that's ok... Thanks. Love to hear of ANYONE trying these?

67-70 Mustang Hotchkis Tuned 1.5 Adjustable Performance Series Front Shocks
Let us know how you like the shocks then.
As I said earlier, I have never seen any reviews of the Hotchkis stuff.
Since their east coast office/factory is 45 minutes away, I should stop by one day....

1969 coupe
372 Cleveland, 4 speed, 9" T.50 Trac Lock axle, Toploader, Global west suspension, Big Lincoln Trans Am Brakes front, Eldorado caliper/ MK VII disk rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
Let us know how you like the shocks then.
As I said earlier, I have never seen any reviews of the Hotchkis stuff.
Since their east coast office/factory is 45 minutes away, I should stop by one day....
Right, I've never heard any of the guys talk about Hotchkis, although their name is old as the hills. Clearly they did some R&D on shocks, because they've got two versions of 'specially valved' Fox Shox; s/adjustable that I'd consider CHEAP and even cheaper non-adjustable ones. That design, valving, plus rebound adjustments, it's gotta be wonderfully smooth on our full roller front suspensions...? I know, I'm a little Fox biased, but for a good reason.

Yea go there Jsams, I'll split the gas and beer money with you !
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Where did you get that anti roll bar for your truck. I like that!
I called Dan at Carolina Swaybar.

https://www.carolinaswaybar.com/

Although their focus is building bars for private label these days, they have prototyping ability, so they
can build a one-off. They like to work off completed blueprints, but they accepted my crude drawing....
(which I just noticed is missing a few dimension numbers)

I built the rest of the hardware in my shop. Nobody makes a front bar for 48-52 F-1's.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-1 ft bar.jpg (118.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0769.JPG (119.7 KB, 4 views)
Huskinhano, Fishfreq and bbmach like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 06-30-2019 at 12:22 PM.

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
Right, I've never heard any of the guys talk about Hotchkis, although their name is old as the hills. Clearly they did some R&D on shocks, because they've got two versions of 'specially valved' Fox Shox; s/adjustable that I'd consider CHEAP and even cheaper non-adjustable ones. That design, valving, plus rebound adjustments, it's gotta be wonderfully smooth on our full roller front suspensions...? I know, I'm a little Fox biased, but for a good reason.

Yea go there Jsams, I'll split the gas and beer money with you !
Hotchkis will be coming out with a coilover system for the vintage Mustangs and the shocks will be made by Falcon. I've never heard of Falcon before but my buddy said that Falcon is just as good as Fox in the Jeep community.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fishfreq likes this.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:39 PM

are these the shocks that Hotchkis is claiming you can adjust via bluetooth using your phone?
Fishfreq likes this.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:43 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
are these the shocks that Hotchkis is claiming you can adjust via bluetooth using your phone?
I'm gonna guess that the Falcon coilover pic is NOT the bluetooth version, because of the manual damping clicker on the end. I'd think the BT version would have a servo and harness to external controller?

Oh, and before I get TOO excited about that Hotchkis Fox Shox, this just crossed my mind; the other big advantage of a monotube shock besides the larger piston, is the floating oil/nitrogen divider thingy that nearly eliminates fading by keeping the oil and nitro separate. On a short body shock like for our vm's, they sometimes don't have the travel or room inside for a divider, so they just let 'em mix and call it an 'emulsion' monotube - a serious DISADVANTAGE, in my book. Major aeration of the oil! They could easily overcome this with an external reservoir that houses a tiny bit of the main oil, the floating divider and gas on the other side. But then they should flip this design over so the major weight doesn't move.

Before I take the plunge I'll find out, and also see what's up with that bluetooth Falcon coilover, which, just by the look of it, I'm sure it'll be a $1,000 shock or close to it.

See attached Falcon Monotube floating divider piston, where the gas would be pressurized on top via shraeder valve, sealed oil beneath, then piston and rod below (not visible) in the oil:

Attachment 713636

Those Falcon Shocks look like the real deal fo sho just like Fox! If they can make 'em for our cars, with the inside hard anodized like the Fox, they ought to be sweet. Expensive, but sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 11.49.16 AM.jpg (245.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 11.57.11 AM.jpg (185.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Fishfreq; 06-30-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: missed a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page