Kick panel speakers. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By slim

Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Kick panel speakers.

I have another question, if someone could help. I have a 67 coupe with speakers behind the kick panels. I'm changing the carpeting so I have the kick panels out which appear to be factory kick panels with the little holes in a circular pattern for the speaker. My question is, did the 67 come with the option for speakers behind the kick panels? The reason I ask is because I can't find reproduction panels with the little holes for the speakers. I've only seen solid kick panels or the aftermarket ones that have one large hole for the speakers. The ones I have, I can't believe someone was able to add the little speaker holes, if they were not factory.

Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

There's pretty much no chance that you could find standard kick panels with holes drilled as the repro stuff all is designed to attach the speakers to the kick panels themselves rather than the factory install of speakers attached to (through) the cowl side panels with sound holes cut in the plastic kick panels (like yours). The modern speaker kick panels (like mine) are kind of ugly and ungainly IMHO as they bulge out into the passenger compartment.

I'd like to see a picture of your speaker install, if you could. If it's a factory through-the-cowl-side-panel install, I (for one) have never seen one intact.

Regarding yours, if they're still in good shape and you intend to keep the speaker setup as-is, you can dye the old panels to whatever interior color you need them to be and they'll look fine.

You could also buy a set of the standard repro kick panels and cut speaker-sized holes in them and then attach a regular, generic, speaker-grill to the hole and it would look fine too.

- Alex O.

------------------------------------------------------------

'68 convertible restoration "almost done". See Ol' Rusty's progress at 68Vert.BlogSpot.Com

MCA #72655

Last edited by aolshove; 04-26-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

My understanding is that was never an option. All we had in 67 was the single speaker in the dash (5x7) and then you could get door speakers.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
I think the early Cougars had kick panels with holes in them, like this beat up eBay example:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU3OVgxNj...YQIMn/$_57.JPG

Maybe someone made a Cougar kick panel fit. As far as I know these aren't reproduced though so I'm not sure where you'd find new ones if you need them.

Last edited by Magnus; 04-28-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fixing the image link
Old 04-28-2017, 03:46 PM

Garage
cjpony parts have them
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

With the kick panels removed on 67/68 notice the sheet metal is stamped as though a speaker could go there. On 67/68 Cougar that stamping was punched out for mounting speakers. If you go to West Coast Classic Cougar web site under 67/68 Cougar parts. Speaker section. Kick panel speaker pods item 12299 repro.
item 58512 used speaker pod speakers. These were used with the kick panels with the perforations (zillion small holes).

The 67 or 68 shop manual for Mustang also has Cougar, Fairlane etc. These pod speakers are in the Coager radio/stereo wiring
page.
aolshove likes this.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 04-28-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 PM

Thing is, no one reproduces the original Cougar kick panels with the perforated holes. I know West Coast Classic Cougar has been looking for some means to create them, as there are plenty of repro panels that fit without the holes. There are also a ton of them with speaker pods that stick out, but frankly, I don't want something in the way down there by my feet.

I've chosen to cut out a couple of the generic reproduction panels, and I'm putting in speaker mesh with a surround (which is tricky because of the rib that runs down the midline of the kick panel). I've got a couple speaker buckets and I'm going to mount 6.5" speakers in the metal behind the kick panels, much like the original factory mounts. We'll see how it all turns out!

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-22-2019, 12:43 PM

The speakers that were mounted behind the kick panels in the cougars were located in a hole that is NOT present in the Mustangs. However, it is possible to remedy that problem:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ts-o-pics.html

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car

It's not the day you're born or the day you die that matters. It's every day in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in