Looking for some advice on a possible trade for my '65 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: west of Atlanta
Posts: 2,354
"It would be the same as the Mustang...Occasional tour. Investment. Sports car racing."

On the investment point I totally disagree with the proposition that the Viper will flat-line or drop in value. They were produced in extremely limited numbers, and were at or near the top of the heap performance wise every year that they've been produced. Seldom does this formula, along with the low miles, result in poor values later on. I don't see the Viper breaking that trend. Look at Hemmings: They're climbing now and I have to believe they will continue to do so.
rose62 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
"It would be the same as the Mustang...Occasional tour. Investment. Sports car racing."

On the investment point I totally disagree with the proposition that the Viper will flat-line or drop in value. They were produced in extremely limited numbers, and were at or near the top of the heap performance wise every year that they've been produced. Seldom does this formula, along with the low miles, result in poor values later on. I don't see the Viper breaking that trend. Look at Hemmings: They're climbing now and I have to believe they will continue to do so.
I disagree. Even when the Viper was brand new, at least around my area, they weren't popular and nobody drove them, nor would you ever see one. Part of that is obviously because of the price and production numbers but I just don't ever think they were that popular of a car. Second, I admittedly know little to nothing about the viper, but on nada.com it lists a 2005 srt10 viper for $45k and had an msrp of $80k+ when brand new. Dropping half the value in a little over 10 years would only make me think it's going to continue doing the same thing in the next 10 years or so.
MUSTANG65FBK is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Pmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,100
This is easy

If you sold your Mustang today, Let's say for arguments sake for $40k in hundred dollar bills

Would you go down to a used car lot and hand it immediately over for this Viper?

That's your answer

Your car is easily sold. Probably within a few days. The Viper most definitely not

For me to trade one of my stangs, and I am offered a trade at least once a week it has to be a slam dunk that is an extremely easy decision to make
Pmustang is offline  
 
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,360
Garage
Since the allure of the Viper can be found at the other end of the throttle pedal, consider what other high torque engined cars might also provide you with the level of visceral excitement that the Viper did on your test drive. As a suggestion, a Superformance Cobra with the appropriate engine will likely press the same buttons the Viper did. One neighbor had a Superformance with a 408 Windsor that was a torque monster. On a test drive with him driving, he hammered the throttle producing instant massive acceleration.......my head felt like it was peeling off of my neck. By the time I successfully struggled to regain horizon, he pulled for 2nd gear and the rocket sled ride was repeated. Insane forward motion. Definitely a moon-shot.

Another friend of mine has a 2016 Mustang GT with the Hennessy supercharger package that Hennessy claims puts out 700+ horsepower. Even with drag radials, traction is a challenge with the rear end wiggle wagging all the way down the road any time he exercises the throttle pedal.

From a somewhat different perspective, consider that most new car showrooms have had at least one brand new factory built car with 500+ horsepower available for each of the past several years. For example another neighbor had a Mercedes E63 AMG sedan with 507 horsepower that he sold recently to his son and daughter in law as they needed more room for their growing family than her SRT8 Challenger could provide. That Mercedes was instantly quick, almost brutally so, and but for the son and daughter in law pulling the trigger, I'd like to think that car would be parked on my side of the street!!

My point is, you have lots of choices, all good, some possibly better. Enjoy the selection process.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
JeffTepper is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTepper View Post
Since the allure of the Viper can be found at the other end of the throttle pedal, consider what other high torque engined cars might also provide you with the level of visceral excitement that the Viper did on your test drive. As a suggestion, a Superformance Cobra with the appropriate engine will likely press the same buttons the Viper did. One neighbor had a Superformance with a 408 Windsor that was a torque monster. On a test drive with him driving, he hammered the throttle producing instant massive acceleration.......my head felt like it was peeling off of my neck. By the time I successfully struggled to regain horizon, he pulled for 2nd gear and the rocket sled ride was repeated. Insane forward motion. Definitely a moon-shot.

Another friend of mine has a 2016 Mustang GT with the Hennessy supercharger package that Hennessy claims puts out 700+ horsepower. Even with drag radials, traction is a challenge with the rear end wiggle wagging all the way down the road any time he exercises the throttle pedal.

From a somewhat different perspective, consider that most new car showrooms have had at least one brand new factory built car with 500+ horsepower available for each of the past several years. For example another neighbor had a Mercedes E63 AMG sedan with 507 horsepower that he sold recently to his son and daughter in law as they needed more room for their growing family than her SRT8 Challenger could provide. That Mercedes was instantly quick, almost brutally so, and but for the son and daughter in law pulling the trigger, I'd like to think that car would be parked on my side of the street!!

My point is, you have lots of choices, all good, some possibly better. Enjoy the selection process.
+1 I'd buy a Nissan GTR, Porsche or just about any other car before I bought a Viper.
MUSTANG65FBK is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANG65FBK View Post
I'd stick with the mustang. Although the viper is no doubt fast and with lots of power, it'll likely decrease in value over the years, as others have mentioned. Also, with having a fastback, the values are im betting will continue to go through the roof and you'll have a hard time finding a decent project fastback in the near future if you ever wanted to go back. And if power is what you're looking for, why not tweak the motor you've got to put out that kind of power? I wouldn't imagine it'd be too difficult to get that kind of power out of your stroker motor
As it sits it has way to much engine at 570 hp, I don't even have traction through 3 gears if I'm flooring from a stand still. Power isn't an issue now, it's just somewhat unusable...but a heck of a lot of fun!

You make valid points on the replacement Fast Back though.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fej View Post
I had a friend of a friend who loved Vipers, he had 4 of them. The reason he had four of them was because at least 2 of them were always in the shop for one reason or another, sometimes 3 and he wanted one to be available to drive at all times. This is not a knock, and it also is not a joke, absolutely true and is a quote from the owner on why he owned four of them.


Great FB btw, well done.
Now that's good information!

And thank you!

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
dobrostang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,709
I ran with the viper club at Laguna Seca with the Lotus club. I have to say I was not particularly impressed with them around the corkscrew, I was running a Saab SPG and remember hearing two guys talking about not being able to catch me till they had some breathing room. Now where there is room they are undeniably staggeringly fast. Could have been the drivers but I could hang with them in the corners till the torque came on then it was long-gone-daddy...

Its a tough call, personally I like driving my own creation and would not value as much a car that joe next door could duplicate with a signature.
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
dobrostang is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
"It would be the same as the Mustang...Occasional tour. Investment. Sports car racing."

On the investment point I totally disagree with the proposition that the Viper will flat-line or drop in value. They were produced in extremely limited numbers, and were at or near the top of the heap performance wise every year that they've been produced. Seldom does this formula, along with the low miles, result in poor values later on. I don't see the Viper breaking that trend. Look at Hemmings: They're climbing now and I have to believe they will continue to do so.
I read an article recently outlining this very argument.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmustang View Post
This is easy

If you sold your Mustang today, Let's say for arguments sake for $40k in hundred dollar bills

Would you go down to a used car lot and hand it immediately over for this Viper?

That's your answer

Your car is easily sold. Probably within a few days. The Viper most definitely not

For me to trade one of my stangs, and I am offered a trade at least once a week it has to be a slam dunk that is an extremely easy decision to make
Well damn...that's quite a fantastic argument. I didn't look at it from that perspective.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I ran with the viper club at Laguna Seca with the Lotus club. I have to say I was not particularly impressed with them around the corkscrew, I was running a Saab SPG and remember hearing two guys talking about not being able to catch me till they had some breathing room. Now where there is room they are undeniably staggeringly fast. Could have been the drivers but I could hang with them in the corners till the torque came on then it was long-gone-daddy...

Its a tough call, personally I like driving my own creation and would not value as much a car that joe next door could duplicate with a signature.
I appreciate those thoughts...especially the last sentence.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: west of Atlanta
Posts: 2,354
As far as the "in my area they weren't that popular.."; How many times have I read about Daytonas, Superbirds and even GT350s sitting on the lot for 3 months, 6 months, a year or even more? Lots. A 65 GT350 sold as a '66 coz it didn't sell? Seems outrageous. But it's a fact.

However, don't be fooled by my excellent arguments: I'd keep the Ford.


What is the grammatical rule for the plural in the above sentence? Damn if I know.

Last edited by rose62; 05-25-2017 at 06:59 PM.
rose62 is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
happystang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,128
Garage
For an 05 Viper? Heckkkkkkk NO. Look at the prices of older Vipers, they have dropped to nothing.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

happystang is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: west of Atlanta
Posts: 2,354
$38K is nothing? They'll never go much lower. But, I could certainly be wrong.
rose62 is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
donkeykong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
$38K is nothing? They'll never go much lower.
That seems to be the general consensus on a variety of forums.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker
donkeykong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome