65-66 2+2 Side Vent Trim, Interior and Exterior Availability - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Question 65-66 2+2 Side Vent Trim, Interior and Exterior Availability

Are these chromed trim pieces, both the interior and the exterior vent trim for the fastback, available in reproduction?

I found out that the interior fiberglas vent panels are now in reproduction form, but what about the trim including the vent slider bar, thumb handle, and rectangular slider opening trim, in addition to the vent pieces themselves.

I've been out of the vintage Mustang game for around 30 years due to other life priorities and adventures, but will soon be returning to my first "hobby" and am trying to catch up on what's new on these rare pieces. Mine are suffering the typically pitting of the base pot metal construction that is unsightly for a perfectionist like me.

1966 Mustang 2+2 GT A-Code: BOSS 302 engine | Lincoln Versailles 9" Disc-Brake Rear Axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 AM

Welcome to VMF.

The chrome slider bar is available.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/fb-vent-s.../p/C5ZZ63278C/

The chrome grilles, both internal and external are not reproduced to the best of my knowledge.
There's lots of used vent louver parts for sale on Fleabay.

Last edited by awhtx; 05-30-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:35 AM

"but what about the trim including the vent slider bar, thumb handle, and rectangular slider opening trim, in addition to the vent pieces themselves".

The slider bar, thumb handle and slider opening are available. The slider bar and thumb handle are especially good pieces. The vent pieces, as mentioned above, are not reproduced. What's more there's a high difficulty level with replacing those vents, they don't just pop out.

1965 Fastback 393W Stroker

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
"The slider bar, thumb handle and slider opening are available. The slider bar and thumb handle are especially good pieces. The vent pieces, as mentioned above, are not reproduced. What's more there's a high difficulty level with replacing those vents, they don't just pop out.
At least there has been SOME progress in the intervening years!

Yea, I've had my A-code 2+2 GT since 1983, but it's been sitting in my parent's garage since the mid-90's after I disassembled it. It has 45,000 original miles on the odometer (i.e. never turned over). The interior grills are permanently attached via its mushroomed pins so when I discovered the fiberglas panels as now being reproduced, I thought the grills were as well since the only way to remove the original ones was to cut them off; therefore reinstalling them would require a very strong adhesive that would stand up to long-term vibration with such a small contact area.

These and the external grills are the only 2+2 parts that would be extremely difficult to restore and rechrome. Now that whole body structures are being reproduced, including the 2+2 model, I'm wondering why these last pieces have not yet been reproduced. And finding acceptable used ones on eBay that are at least in better condition that mine (which mine aren't really that bad; but any pits in interior trim pieces bothers me being that I'm extremely OCD) and swap meets after 51 years is highly doubtful.

1966 Mustang 2+2 GT A-Code: BOSS 302 engine | Lincoln Versailles 9" Disc-Brake Rear Axle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Are these chromed trim pieces, both the interior and the exterior vent trim for the fastback, available in reproduction?

I found out that the interior fiberglas vent panels are now in reproduction form, but what about the trim including the vent slider bar, thumb handle, and rectangular slider opening trim, in addition to the vent pieces themselves.

I've been out of the vintage Mustang game for around 30 years due to other life priorities and adventures, but will soon be returning to my first "hobby" and am trying to catch up on what's new on these rare pieces. Mine are suffering the typically pitting of the base pot metal construction that is unsightly for a perfectionist like me.
National Parts Depot has the Vent Slider bar with thumb handle and the rectangular slider opening trim. https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalo...per-303-1.html

The side Vent panels can be found at Dallas Mustang: https://www.dallasmustang.com/interi...FYhhfgodk1wLGQ

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 PM

Why doesn't someone reproduce the 4 longer pieces of the 1" wide trim that surrounds the rear seat and cargo area of the '65/'66 Fastbacks? If they can reproduce the 2 pieces of trim that cover the joint between the dash pad and the base of the windshield surely they can stamp those 4 pieces of trim.

Last edited by awhtx; 05-30-2017 at 10:55 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Why doesn't someone reproduce the 4 longer pieces of the 1" wide trim that surrounds the rear seat and cargo area of the '65/'66 Fastbacks? If they can reproduce the 2 pieces of trim that cover the joint between the dash pad and the base of the windshield surely they can stamp those 4 pieces of trim.
They do seem simple enough to do. Could it be that those parts are much easier to restore (when they can be found) than chromed pot metal trim and bezels so the demand is not quite there yet? Many years ago when I was keeping an eye out for all things fastback-related (I was looking for a spare pair of lower interior quarter panels I could cut up in case I wanted to install a roll bar ala Shelby), I came across these trim pieces many times. I'm sure they are much harder to find nowadays...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page