Gas Cap is not straight - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Gas Cap is not straight

One of the first parts I bought new is a Scott Drake Gas Cap. But it looks silly if it's turned in the locked position.
Please view the video i just made today:

Does anybody know what I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 AM

The small piece inside the gas cap with the locking ears, can you tell how it is mounted? If possible, you want to loosen it and twist it left inside the cap until the cap is straight. Then tighten it back up.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

It all Looks pressed together or rivited... No screws to See there

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Loosen your filler neck up, from the flange to the rubber hose at the gas tank. Just loosen. Adjust the filler neck until your fuel cap is straight. Make sure your fuel cap is all the way tight before adjusting. Once you have it where you want it, hold position of filler neck, unscrew cap and tighten those screws down and filler neck hose. Don't over tighten those screws! Ask me how I know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Mustang Coupe, 289, FiTech EFI
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster1966 View Post
Loosen your filler neck up, from the flange to the rubber hose at the gas tank. Just loosen. Adjust the filler neck until your fuel cap is straight. Make sure your fuel cap is all the way tight before adjusting. Once you have it where you want it, hold position of filler neck, unscrew cap and tighten those screws down and filler neck hose. Don't over tighten those screws! Ask me how I know..
there are screws on the cap? where?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Screws on the filler neck.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Screws on the filler neck.
but then the neck is pointing everywhere but not to the fuel tank? I don't understand how I should do it?!??! *confused*
the fuel neck is one piece....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffp1_1.8.jpg (48.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Vincent Treise; 07-02-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Sorry just saw the video, wouldn't load earlier for me. Post pics of your filler neck and cap. Try starting the cap in a different position to see if that helps

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Confused

Quote:

Don't over tighten. How do you know...I give up!! LOL

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM

There's little I can say sitting at a keyboard; however, if it were mine I would focus on the gas cap. The inner part my be riveted, but I'm guessing it can be turned. If you have a strap wrench or some other way to securely hold the outside of the gas cap, then try to turn the inner part with a large pair of channel locks. It should be tight but I'm still guessing you will be able to rotate it as long as it is only attached by the center rivet.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I don't know how this will work, the flange for the cap is welded to the tube, there is an angle at which it is attached. IIRC, the screw holes are not slotted and any movement of the tube will be very limited by its connection to the bung on the fuel tank. Maybe 1/4 inch or so at best, after that a whole slew of things limit is movement.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Vincent, did you buy the cap from a near by supplier, an individual, direct from Scott Drake, a suppler in the US or?

This is Scott Drake C6ZZ-9030-B should be a big seller. Have you contacted the seller to explain the problem? If they are all made this way they would get
a lot of returns. This may be a one time mistake, you would want to know if you exchange it the next one will be right (correct).

Do you have the old one to compare the back side?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 PM

What happens if you rotate the gas cap even more counter clockwise before screwing it back on? Will it be way off in the other direction?

My new gas cap (from 25 years ago) would rotate an inch or so past the top and I would just rotate it counter-clockwise till it lined up nice. It still held in place.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Don't over tighten. How do you know...I give up!! LOL

My filler neck has two screws one size bigger now.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:45 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Quote:
My filler neck has two screws one size bigger now.

I was JK, notice the LOL?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page