'67 rear quarter panel extension, the $64 question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

'67 rear quarter panel extension, the $64 question

I need a Left side fastback quarter panel extension, and NPD has them from $64 to $100. for the OEM type extension. I would rather not spend $100 on this, but I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit well either. Anyone have any experience with this? TIA,

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Good used one? It ain't like it'll be all rusty.....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM

I have an OEM 68 one that I'll let go for less then that. Let me know if you're interested.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between the coupe/convertible version and the fastback version?

I have 3 of these original parts lying around the garage (each with different stampings):
LH C7ZB-65286073-B
LH C7ZB-65286072-B
RH C7ZB-65286073-A

I believe that these are all for coupe/convertible, but have never held them up next to my fastback to discern the difference.

Dcubedus

Nightmist Blue 67 Coupe (C Code - C4) - Owned since 1987
Nightmist Blue 67 GT Fastback (S Code - 4spd) - Owned since 2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubedus View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between the coupe/convertible version and the fastback version?

I have 3 of these original parts lying around the garage (each with different stampings):
LH C7ZB-65286073-B
LH C7ZB-65286072-B
RH C7ZB-65286073-A

I believe that these are all for coupe/convertible, but have never held them up next to my fastback to discern the difference.

Dcubedus
All three of those are extensions for a hardtop. Right after the hyphen the next two digits are the body code. If they were for a Fastback it would be "63" and for a convertible, "76", if the fastback and convertible used a different piece.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 PM

The fastback item is entirely different above the taillight. A fastback part would have an engineering number that read C7ZB-63286073. The "63" means fastback. Before these were reproduced, I was paying $100 each for used ones.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Before these were reproduced, I was paying $100 each for used ones.
Back in the early '90's I was looking into casting them in fiberglass, but it never panned out.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 PM

This is the part where you go to Ebay and buy an original one with all the parts still there.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Good used one? It ain't like it'll be all rusty.....
Best I know coupe and conv same rear panels so extensions the same. As 22 said FB is diff, longer.

But comment as far as rust, yea no, BUT being a cast metal part, they sure crack easier. But brittle, if you look to buy used, make sure the lower mounting hole is even still there. Many used that lower hole (tab) snapped right off.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 PM

OK. So, I held an uninstalled coupe quarter extension (gray) next to my fastback quarter extension (black) and now see the difference in depth (front to back) from a side view.
See attached pic.

Thanks,
dcubedus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cp_vs_FB_qtr_ext_email.jpg (7.2 KB, 42 views)

Nightmist Blue 67 Coupe (C Code - C4) - Owned since 1987
Nightmist Blue 67 GT Fastback (S Code - 4spd) - Owned since 2013
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:01 AM

You can buy OEM ones on Ebay starting about $25. I bought one about a month ago that was OEM and flawless for $40 there.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyB View Post
You can buy OEM ones on Ebay starting about $25. I bought one about a month ago that was OEM and flawless for $40 there.
Right now I have three left side OEM extensions, and all of them have problems, it's usually the inside upper "lip" is interfering with the trunk lid closing. I have a repo in the right and it has no interference with the trunk lid. One of the problems with these things is they are made from pot metal, and trying to get one to conform usually ends up with it cracking. If I can get a good pair, I may make some molds and see if I can lay them up in fiberglass.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Right now I have three left side OEM extensions, and all of them have problems, it's usually the inside upper "lip" is interfering with the trunk lid closing. I have a repo in the right and it has no interference with the trunk lid. One of the problems with these things is they are made from pot metal, and trying to get one to conform usually ends up with it cracking. If I can get a good pair, I may make some molds and see if I can lay them up in fiberglass.
I find that a bit odd. Usually the OEM quarter extensions are very consistent, and should not have differences unless there was some sort of damage. If you tried 3 OEM pieces and all three interfered with the trunk lid, I would guess that your issue is with panel alignment, not the quarter extension. Have you replaced any sheet metal? That being said, post a wanted ad in that section of the forum and you will find a quality part for a good price. Good luck! Jack

1970 428CJ Mach-1
MCA# 60075

"Every day's a Holiday, and every meal's a Picnic"

[email protected]

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
I find that a bit odd. Usually the OEM quarter extensions are very consistent, and should not have differences unless there was some sort of damage. If you tried 3 OEM pieces and all three interfered with the trunk lid, I would guess that your issue is with panel alignment, not the quarter extension. Have you replaced any sheet metal? That being said, post a wanted ad in that section of the forum and you will find a quality part for a good price. Good luck! Jack
This whole car is reproduction. I have a repro RH quarter cap and it actually fits better than any of the original three I got from ebay. The trunk lid fits the opening just fine, but I still need to get the hinges adjusted correctly. The only thing I can think of is the ebay quarter caps were all junk yard picks off of wrecks.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 AM
BTK

Check EBay I just bought a pair for $25 need the be refinished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page