Strange K code - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Strange K code

I picked up this k code that is strange in many ways. It's nothing like my 65K code mustang, but everything seems right. While purchasing the car, I checked the vin and looks at the tail lights. The vin appears to have been punched after the car was assembled, there is no vin on the other side of the aprons. They are blank. None of the panels seem to have been replaced and the vin matches the door tag, title, motor, original manual book (which was sold to a rental place in Cali). The next thing was I just thought that someone cut the extra tail lights like seen before. But the panel is punched and not torched or cut. There are other weird things that I'll try to find out later..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3138_1500743823732.jpg (93.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2984_1500743899205.jpg (97.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2988_1500743950124.jpg (93.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3144_1500743987673.jpg (90.7 KB, 146 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Garage
Interesting for sure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:37 PM

i think its the long lost clown car prototype, worth bagillions.

Cant see your VIN very well but for sure looks like a re-stamp. Beware when you cant see the stars that should be on each end of the sequence. Least your door and title match so dont stress to much. GL.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
i think its the long lost clown car prototype, worth bagillions.

Cant see your VIN very well but for sure looks like a re-stamp. Beware when you cant see the stars that should be on each end of the sequence. Least your door and title match so dont stress to much. GL.
Exactly what i was thinking. But the date stamps on the panels are within 3 months of the cars build date on the door tag. Why could a car possibly be assembled prior to a vin stamping. And the panels do not seem to have ever been removed. Spot welded and in perfect shape just as any other factory car i have seen.

1970 G-Code Boss 302
1965 K-Code Fastback
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Garage
I've seen a picture of a Mustang with those tail lights posted on FB or the likes not too long ago. Maybe it will come back around as I don't know where it's at now.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
I've seen a picture of a Mustang with those tail lights posted on FB or the likes not too long ago. Maybe it will come back around as I don't know where it's at now.
Yeah i have seen a couple with them. But they are always cut for the holes... or they cut multiple tailight panels and welded them together. This one has no cuts and the panel seems to be punched like the factory panels. Not sure how its possible without removing the panel and using a ford tooling machine.

1970 G-Code Boss 302
1965 K-Code Fastback
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Garage
Its possible I saw the photo on the SAACForum but it looks like the PhotoBucket issue has affected them as well.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:36 PM

That rear panel IS baffling.
So there is no VIN on the passenger side under fender? Maybe even 2 sets of them?
You cant find any odd seems or wrinkles that would look like a cut-n-shut front clip? Even near the firewall or under at the frame rails. i might be more evident with the fender off. It could be a very legit and professional repair job that leaves no traces i guess. That is my only thoughts as to why the VIN is as is.

I have some interior body parts stamped a full six months before mine was assembled. Oct to April the next year.
BUT, on yours there are date stamps on the inner fenders or shock towers, etc?
it would be fun to poor over that car for a while.

i think if it were a bit of fraud in the past they would have tried to get the VIN aligned with the cutout in the fender better.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM

...well another thought on VIN. Possibly an "upgrade" for a lesser car. All the K code stuff and door put in a better body. Then the old VIN beaten flat or filled over, would think it hard to do all 3 without some traces though.

Check under the back seat for the extra sheet pieces for the exhaust hangers.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Definitely stamped after the fact and without using a VIN embosser. You're good as long as you have a title and nobody questions the stamping. The multiple taillight treatment was common in the late sixties and early seventies. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you couldn't buy a taillight panel in JC Whitney.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

The car had to either be the K code or a GT coupe. I believe the car is legit. It has the plates and hangers under the seats and the support plates in the rear rails. Still had the H pipe exhaust. Did not have any holes for GT Lights and no hole for a GT switch. i am 99.999999% sure those panels were never replaced. And why would they be..? Fenders appear to be original based from the date codes. There would be no damage to the inner aprons if the fenders are original. And there are no stamps on the passenger side. All joints appear to be factory welded and have no sign of being removed. I just feel as if the car was built and then vin stamped once it was together.

1970 G-Code Boss 302
1965 K-Code Fastback
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Somebody also added a MOPAR side marker lamp. Still think something is fishy. Cars didn't get bucked without a VIN. Got a photo of the door tag?

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llammanipples View Post
The car had to either be the K code or a GT coupe. I believe the car is legit. It has the plates and hangers under the seats and the support plates in the rear rails. Still had the H pipe exhaust. Did not have any holes for GT Lights and no hole for a GT switch. i am 99.999999% sure those panels were never replaced. And why would they be..? Fenders appear to be original based from the date codes. There would be no damage to the inner aprons if the fenders are original. And there are no stamps on the passenger side. All joints appear to be factory welded and have no sign of being removed. I just feel as if the car was built and then vin stamped once it was together.
You're "feels" wouldn't get me to believe that if I were to buy your car from you in the future. Something is going on with that restamp. I'm sure it was damaged at some point in the distant past and replaced by legit body shop. Perhaps not a GT kar but K-code title and door tag are good signs. However not having original vin stamps on either fender leads me to believe this kar was damaged and had the front fenders replaced. I have also seen people sell titles and door tags of K-code kars that were wrecked and crushed but still held onto these two items and sold them to some smuck-a-telly to stick it onto a C-code car to sell it for K-code price.

Do you have the original K-code vin stamp on the transmission? You did say you verified the k-code vin stamp on the engine block too, correct as matching numbers?

Currently: 1966 Ford Mustang, K-code Fastback, Signal Flare Red, Black interior, 4-speed
Formerly: 1965 Ford Mustang, A-code Coupe, Wimbledon White, Red interior, Automatic

Last edited by evantugby; 07-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Matching numbers motor, trans is probably original (tag shows hipo c4) but not vin verified. 9" rear end is still in the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2800_1500757752533.jpg (98.6 KB, 62 views)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llammanipples View Post
Matching numbers motor, trans is probably original (tag shows hipo c4) but not vin verified. 9" rear end is still in the car
It seems to point to it being an original car - the door rivits are the original style. Does the car show signs of repaint? there is no overspray on the tag and the grain looks to be untouched. If you can look to see if the fenders have been repainted? The stamping on the back has me puzzled - do you see any welds that look like it was done after the fact? The addition of 1968 mopar rear side lights is definitely different.

Cool car!

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page