craigslist alert for 69 fastback finally hit after 3 years lol - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

craigslist alert for 69 fastback finally hit after 3 years lol

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this development - just scroll to the bottom to see what I found.

Back story
I'm not in love with my coupe, even though I've done a complete restoration. I know a lot more now than when I started 6 years ago, and for the last 3 years, upgrading to a 69 fastback has been my goal since A - looks way better, and B - I already have 95% of the parts for no matter what kind of fastback I find out there.

I'm not looking to find one to flip, I want it to keep it. I almost daily my coupe to work, this would be no different except I would have a lot more pride in it.

For three years I haven't found a single fastback that wasn't less than $25k - making the frowned upon conversion kit more and more financially enticing (I've found a shop that would do the conversion (including the parts) and paint for $10k)

But then i got a hit on my craigslist alert - 69 fastback project, $7k with a decent shot of the exterior.
Looks like its just a shell from the one photo, but thats ok. thats all I need.

getting my wife on board was the most difficult part - but she agrees to go with me to check it out since she knows how long i've been looking for one. its a 2 hour drive away from us, and the seller barely responded to any of my questions ahead of time - but we go check it out.

album link -> Rustback - Album on Imgur

its an F code, and hes been slowly replacing the sheet metal, welding it all back together. he claimed to have all the parts except for the rear seat,

he did have a 302 and a C4 - but even the parts were in parts.

I dont think it would be worth $2k, let alone 7

Huntingky likes this.

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Kinda like fishing. Gotta catch a few garbage fish before you catch the big one. Your coupe looks nice, enjoy it while you search and find the fastback you are looking for.

67 Shelby Clone
410 stroker, RHS heads, FPA headers, Lentech full manual AOD
Global West upper / lower control arms, rear leafs and del-a-lum bushings
Street or Track strut rods, Viking coilovers
Wilwood front disc brakes
-----------------------------------------------------
2008 Shelby Convertible 625 HP
VMP SC 2.5 pulley and tune. Steeda cold air intake
True Forged Sleeper 20x11 and 20x10 wheels
MGW shifter, Tokico D spec shocks and struts
MTF 1 piece headliner, 2008 Shelby seats

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:10 PM

I was in exactly the same situation as you. I found a very similar ad but the car was in much better shape. Now I have them both. I daily teh coupe as I build teh fastback. I will probably sell the coupe one day, even though I do enjoy having it.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM

WOW thats high for that basket case.

A couple of years ago there was a 69 Q code Mach 4 spd car minus engine and transmission for sale on the local craigslist. The guy wanted 7500 and I though it wasn't a steal but it wasn't out of line either...I can't imagine paying 7000 for a F code thats not even a roller.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ stock rebuild with Mild roller cam, and Long tube headers, 408hp
Modern Upgrades-TKO600, FiTech, A/C, Rostra Cruise Control

37 Ford Coupe- Boss 351, Massflo EFI, T5Z
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:01 AM

In the northeast that isn't bad for that car if the rest of the parts are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mild 302
T-5
Global West arms
TCP Strut Rods
Wilwood Ft. Discs
235/45/17 ft
275/40/17 rear
Always a work in progress

63 Falcon Ragtop
New project for my honey
Hers to my His, er...Hers
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 AM

$7K does seem a bit high but if you've been searching 3 years and can't seem to find anything within your budget then I say go for it. 69 Fastback a hot now and you already have a lot of parts.

1969 Fastback project
1969 Coupe 351w 4sp
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM

I peruse C-list for 69 fastbacks every other day or so (I'm still dreaming of the no-picture, come and get it out of my garage ad that turns out to be a Boss 429. a guy can dream). I can't believe what people are asking! That car would be $17k up here. Mainly because there are a lot of rust buckets in the midwest, but still, people want astronomical money for these things!

Looks like a decent starting point so long as everything has been welded in straight.
schweigert likes this.

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop50 View Post
$7K does seem a bit high but if you've been searching 3 years and can't seem to find anything within your budget then I say go for it. 69 Fastback a hot now and you already have a lot of parts.

Good point.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Does it have a clear title with all the tags in place? Maybe you could get him down a $$$. That would be better than a conversion.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims68GTCS View Post
Does it have a clear title with all the tags in place? Maybe you could get him down a $$$. That would be better than a conversion.
I'll ask about the reg status..

I'm sure I can talk him down to $5k. but still -- think it would be worth it even with all those frankenstein welds?

A member on here reached out to me with a H code in much better shape with its original 351C (still not running and would need body work, but wont need any welding) for $14k --- probably save up some extra money to get that instead if he still has it

Daily Driver 69 coupe https://imgur.com/a/FztYA

Last edited by schweigert; 08-22-2017 at 05:04 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

Up here in Santa Clarita, there is a guy that has a yard full of old mustang projects most if not all original unmolested as well as tons of parts. Maybe send him a text and see what he has to offer in a 1969 body style ?

818-367-0055

https://www.facebook.com/SoCalMustangMD/
schweigert likes this.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system

Last edited by sessayan; 08-22-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added a link
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop50 View Post
Something to be said for this. I spent a year looking for a '67 and finally settled on the one I did because I wanted to get moving and still drive the thing before college. It wasn't the perfect car but it was good enough to turn into what I wanted.

I know how crazy expensive '69 and '70 Fastbacks are in LA. If you have the money, $7k really isn't really that bad. Especially if it's THE car you want.

Also, learn to weld.
schweigert likes this.

1967 Mustang w/ 302 4bbl - Build Thread
1967 Galaxie Wagon w/ 289 2bbl
1972 Honda CL350 - Parked since 1978 in a barn.
1976 Triumph Bonneville

Currently an Automotive Restoration Student at McPherson College.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
LOL someone in the Bay Area would slap a $12k price tag on that and it would sell. (I'm serious)

If it's got a clean title, frame rails are solid, and he's got the missing parts, show him $5k and tell him he has to drop it off at your place.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this development - just scroll to the bottom to see what I found.

Back story
I'm not in love with my coupe, even though I've done a complete restoration. I know a lot more now than when I started 6 years ago, and for the last 3 years, upgrading to a 69 fastback has been my goal since A - looks way better, and B - I already have 95% of the parts for no matter what kind of fastback I find out there.

I'm not looking to find one to flip, I want it to keep it. I almost daily my coupe to work, this would be no different except I would have a lot more pride in it.

For three years I haven't found a single fastback that wasn't less than $25k - making the frowned upon conversion kit more and more financially enticing (I've found a shop that would do the conversion (including the parts) and paint for $10k)

But then i got a hit on my craigslist alert - 69 fastback project, $7k with a decent shot of the exterior.
Looks like its just a shell from the one photo, but thats ok. thats all I need.

getting my wife on board was the most difficult part - but she agrees to go with me to check it out since she knows how long i've been looking for one. its a 2 hour drive away from us, and the seller barely responded to any of my questions ahead of time - but we go check it out.

album link -> Rustback - Album on Imgur

its an F code, and hes been slowly replacing the sheet metal, welding it all back together. he claimed to have all the parts except for the rear seat,

he did have a 302 and a C4 - but even the parts were in parts.

I dont think it would be worth $2k, let alone 7

Three years is a long time, how are you searching / using CL?

Try search tempest. It scans both CL, eBay and other sources for whatever you want.

Like CL, you type in what you're looking for, but you also pick the travel radius that you're looking for. Don't limit yourself to just your area, search Nationwide.

Find the car deal that you want, and ONLY THEN decide if it's too far for the car.

Suppose that you limit the Max that you'll travel to 500 miles, but the exact car that you want is 550 miles away? Guess what, you just missed Your car. Would you have travelled the extra 50 miles,....what about an extra 100 miles? Of course you'd drive the extra way.

FIND THE CAR FIRST, then decide if the drive is worth it.

We drove 15 hrs each way for my $300 67, complete hardtop shell.
We drove 2 hours each way for my $300 new Lincoln 180.
We drove 2 hours each way for my $500/600? new 80 gl compressor.

I'm always up for a road trip, plus my 13 yr old son was with me for all trips, so that made the trips even more enjoyable!

Search, have your $$ ready and be able to leave at a moments notice.

For the 15 hr shell we left home about 8:00 that night after work, drove straight through for 15 hrs, picked it up and headed part of the way back before I just just couldn't go any farther.

It'll remain one of the enjoyable times of my life, just me and my son. You may enjoy the read, it's in my build thread below.

Good luck and tell us what you find.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html

Last edited by Israel; 08-22-2017 at 07:36 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Another option with $17,500 price tag is this

Licensed Replacement Body Shell

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page