Does a 351 W fit in my 64 1/2 Mustang? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I was just running something my head the last few days and they classify the 260-289 as a Windsor engine and that got me to thinking if a 351 W would fit in a first generation Mustang without major modifications?
My hat in the ring here....
Yes- it fits
No- it wasn't a pita (tighter fit sure, but no more difficult than you make it yourself, right?)
Yes- you should use adjustable motor mounts for clearance
Yes- JBA shorty headers fit just fine (on mine at least)
Yes- plug to shock towers is close, but still manageable with proper tools
Yes- it's a ton of fun to drive and I'd gladly do it again

All the above comments are based solely on my experience of building, installing, driving, and enjoying the aforementioned combination. Any statements made here within are not to be construed as internet law, mass consensus, or defamatory to any individuals that may have done it differently.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Yes, It will fit, but the 351W sits 1 1/2" inches higher than a 289/302 engine. It has a taller deck. You need to use a '65-'66 Shelby Hood Scoop with a hole cut in the hood to clear the engine, aircleaner, etc.,or other to make it work, though there are a few out there that say it will work with a stock hood, but I have yet to see that done, or I should say that I would like to see a pic of someone that has done it.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Yes, It will fit, but the 351W sits 1 1/2" inches higher than a 289/302 engine. It has a taller deck. You need to use a '65-'66 Shelby Hood Scoop with a hole cut in the hood to clear the engine, aircleaner, etc.,or other to make it work, though there are a few out there that say it will work with a stock hood, but I have yet to see that done, or I should say that I would like to see a pic of someone that has done it.

)

Tony K.
A 351W Lurks within
MUSTANG65FBK likes this.

Brad

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis111 View Post
There you go relying on the internet again. Where's the apple to apple swaps of 351w motors with stock heads to cut down on my search time?

Without actually knowing what was really done one can believe that the motor was not retuned for the additional savaging of the new exhaust or it just wasn't needed for the combination given. Also dyno's can be manipulated to show whatever you want so an operator can accidently (or intentionally) screw things up.

Those who are fully successful at performance building rely on Math, not the internet for their information. Every part of a motor must be designed to work together for peak performance. From where the air enters the carb to when it exits the exhaust is a system and it must all work together to give proper results. Some improvements can normally be done by throwing parts at the car--its all a guess as to what the motor wants if you don't know what you are doing. Some things to try are easy and work, others are harder and can give you fits. Do the math right and you will almost always build a top performing motor that can run circles around similar competition.
A. So what you're saying is that I shouldn't rely on the internet but that I should rely on your opinions and "expertise"... you of course being someone who is also on the internet and is giving his feeble opinion on things he admittedly knows nothing about? Lol makes total sense. B. What reason would this company or show have to manipulate a dyno in order to show more favorable horsepower numbers for exhaust manifolds/shorties or mid length headers compared to long tubes? It's not a conspiracy and you're clearly grasping at straws here. C. Why don't you show some proof of whatever it is that you're trying to say, instead of just giving your opinion? That's the main reason that started this whole predicament.

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK; 11-14-2017 at 01:16 AM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

)

Tony K.
I've heard of people having success using a lower profile intake manifold as well as using a low profile air cleaner and not needing to use a hood scoop. Some will even use the Ron Morris style adjustable motor mounts to get the engine to sit exactly where they want it. Intakes have different heights on them and can have a 1 3/4" difference in height or more from say an Edelbrock performer compared to an Edelbrock air gap intake. But yes, if you're looking for the most performance you probably don't want the things I mentioned previously and kind of defeats the whole point to going with a 351w.

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK; 11-14-2017 at 01:19 AM.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANG65FBK View Post
That's the main reason that started this whole predicament.

The main reason is that you don't know the definition of the word "iffy" which means "full of uncertainty."

OP, I'm sorry for helping crap on your thread. I've learned my lesson and will not post in here again.

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:

)

Tony K.
Here you are... http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_..._large.jpg?v=0
No hood scoop. And, I'm currently running a 3" tall air filter element with a dropped base with no hood clearance problem.

65 GT coupe. 351W. Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, manifold, cam. Hooker Super Comp headers. 2 1/2" exhaust. Toploader. 9" with 3.70 trac-loc. 4 wheel discs. Leather seats. The actual car I learned to drive in over 45 years ago (except for the mods!).
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANG65FBK View Post
That's the main reason that started this whole predicament.

The main reason is that you don't know the definition of the word "iffy" which means "full of uncertainty."

OP, I'm sorry for helping crap on your thread. I've learned my lesson and will not post in here again.

"Iffy at best" is the verbiage that was used and yes "iffy" does mean uncertain. "Iffy at best" I would define as almost impossible. I wouldn't consider the success stories from literally dozens of other people who've used JBA, amongst other, swap headers to be considered "iffy at best" or "uncertain."

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK; 11-15-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page