Paint fix ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gt350sr
  • 1 Post By lennyB

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Paint fix ?

My 65 conv. was painted sometime around 1987. The paint is still in very good condition except the passenger side quarter. I have some cracking that is getting worse. There is also a bubble at the top of the quarter. I'll post pictures later.

My plan is to have the car media blasted and repainted - but most likely 5 years in the future. I also think I will need to replace the cowl, trunk drop offs, and patch the driver rear frame rail. Floors, rockers and torque boxes were done years ago and are solid. I will do the rust repair myself.

But I am in the middle of restoring a 71 c10 pickup - and I want to finish that project before I go back to the stang.

My question after a long winded post - does it make sense to have a paint shop just fix the quarter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Garage
honestly? No If it's bubbling, it'll snowball for sure..

If it needs the rest as you say, why spend the jingle just to get by for a few years, right? My recommendation would be to sell the Bowtie and get back to the Mustang asap!
Klutch likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I am posting some pictures - the first two are the passenger qtr....BAD. The paint has great shine and depth - just the cracking on the one qtr.

Not sure how good these pictures will come out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad qtr 1.jpg (17.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg bad qtr 2.jpg (12.8 KB, 66 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
What's going to look worse- a little cracking and a bubble, or a full mis-matched quarter? To do it HA right, they'll need to blend it in after scuffing it all down. Again- I'd say save your money and do it all once the right way. That little paint blem wouldn't keep me from enjoying driving it, right? And if someone does point it out or give you crap about it, ask them how they enjoy driving their '65 Mustang Vert.......

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM

The cracking/chipping will probably get worse. Certainly you should get some quotes from paint shops in your area. You might find someone you feel comfortable with doing it for you.

david

69 Winter Blue 302 Fastback w/ Original Paint

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM

If you can't live with the cracking and want a cheaper at home solution, sand the quarter down and hit it with a basic spraybomb to protect the bare metal. Then use a dip-your-car kit and run it with that for a couple years. You paint the whole car with it and when you're ready, you peel off the coating.

I have no idea how long the coating lasts, but I hear it's easy to touch up. All in, you're probably at $300 and your car will be the same color.

Here's a satin black kit on their site: https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/satin-black-kit

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Are in similiar situation, have some paint cracking but will wait with new paint on my 65 Fastback for 2-3 years.
Have been looking on PlastiDip as an intermediate solution, new versions including high gloss top coat looks good. However it gets quite expensive in total.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM

I've been in your situation before. I was in the middle of restoring one car (1968 Mustang J-Code Coupe) and bought another car (1968 Dodge Coronet 440 Hardtop) needing total restoration. After thinking about it for awhile, I came to the conclusion the smart thing to do would be to finish the first one before touching the second one. If I was in your situation I would complete the C10 so you have a complete vehicle ready to drive, enjoy, and/or sell. Then, start on the Mustang and do it right the first time. If you tare into the Mustang while working on the C10 it will take at least twice as long before you have a car that is completely done ready to enjoy.

Just my experience ~ Lenny B.
arbys likes this.

Last edited by lennyB; 11-14-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page