what would you do? Who's fault? - Page 8 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 130Likes

post #106 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3x View Post
After the vibration appeared, he contacted Blueprint who gave him a series of procedures to eliminate possibilities before pulling the engine out and sending it back.
Quote:
During the diagnosing phase, the engine was still in the car and disconnected from the transmission.
First off, sorry to hear that you are having issues with your engine swap.

What it sounds like to me is that something happened when the car was on the dyno.

I am a little confused, so I hope you can help me understand this a little better. Once the mechanic started in on the diagnostics of the vibration, they at some point removed the transmission? Is that included in the $1,500?

I agree with you that they could have, a probably should have, changed the flex plate at that time, especially if they are going as far as to charge you for the test harmonic balancer. But coulda/shoulda/woulda ...

A couple of questions: Maybe I missed them, but ...
Why have they not sent the bad flex plate back yet?
Why have you not heard back from Blueprint on how the engine dyno test went with a known good flex plate?
Why is Blueprint having to keep the engine another couple of weeks before sending it back if it was JUST a bad flex plate? Won't that make over a month that they will have had it?

I am betting that Blueprint is going to come back and tell you that there was a bad bearing and they are going to blame the 2.5 oz difference on the flex plate and that it is not a warranty issue.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in getting your car back up and running.

'67 Coupe, 347 w/ Holley Terminator EFI
AOD w/ B&M short Megashifter
EPAS w/ Bruno Box
Shelby Drop, 17" Replica's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus203 View Post
First off, sorry to hear that you are having issues with your engine swap.

What it sounds like to me is that something happened when the car was on the dyno.

I am a little confused, so I hope you can help me understand this a little better. Once the mechanic started in on the diagnostics of the vibration, they at some point removed the transmission? Is that included in the $1,500?

I agree with you that they could have, a probably should have, changed the flex plate at that time, especially if they are going as far as to charge you for the test harmonic balancer. But coulda/shoulda/woulda ...

A couple of questions: Maybe I missed them, but ...
Why have they not sent the bad flex plate back yet?
Why have you not heard back from Blueprint on how the engine dyno test went with a known good flex plate?
Why is Blueprint having to keep the engine another couple of weeks before sending it back if it was JUST a bad flex plate? Won't that make over a month that they will have had it?

I am betting that Blueprint is going to come back and tell you that there was a bad bearing and they are going to blame the 2.5 oz difference on the flex plate and that it is not a warranty issue.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in getting your car back up and running.
@bacchus203 all great questions.
-yes, isolating the engine from the transmission to diagnose the vibration was part of the $1500. And I'm happy to pay that part. It was the 6 hours ($540).
-They have already sent me back the "bad" flexplate. I'm waiting to get the engine back with the "good" flexplate that they are installing on the engine. I will then have them compared to each other at a machine shop.
- When Blueprint received the engine back, they said they removed the flexplate and put one of theirs on which made the vibration disappear. (This should have been done during the 6 hours of diagnostics I agreed to pay for) They said they wanted to open up the engine to inspect/replace any bearings which may have been damaged from the vibration since this engine is so new and still under the warranty period. They didn't want to just ship the engine back, then 3 months down the road, some bearings fail. This is why they still have my engine 4 weeks later. They said they are backlogged and it will take time. I should be getting it back next week. They have already told me that they will not be charging me for any work they are doing on the engine, as well as not charging me for shipping it back. I agree with everyone that this sounds very fishy. If a bad flexplate, which they did not provide caused the vibration, which in turn damaged some bearings, then all the work they are doing is not covered by warranty and I should be charged, right?

- Because my mechanic DID NOT swap out the flexplate as told to do so, it puts me in a bad situation where I can't definitively say it was a bad engine all along and the vibration wasn't caused by a bad flexplate. So now, I have to check the bad flexplate against a known good flexplate when I get the engine back. If it turns out the "bad" flexplate is fine, then I will be calling Blueprint to cover my mechanics labor. (Their warranty policy says they do that). If the flexplate is in fact bad, then I'm going to ask my mechanic that I only pay the diagnostic part ($540) where the bad flexplate would have been discovered if he had followed instructions, not needing to R&R the engine.

Last edited by craig3x; 01-11-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #108 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blu View Post
The flexplate swap will be 6 hrs and according to my inspection it is the correct undamaged part. Chances of it fixing the problem is like 5%. If it doesn't correct the problem you will be responsible for the 6 hrs.
@Grabber Blu I know this. I already committed to paying for the 6 hours of diagnostic per Blueprints instructions. I have said this several times. But when my mechanic doesn't do what he was supposed to in the 6 hours, then some liability falls on him. agree? He was told to SWAP OUT THE FLEXPLATE....not just verify the part number. I paid for that time. I wish he would have just swapped it out so we could have seen if that solved the vibration. And if it didn't, then all blame falls on a faulty engine build and Blueprint is on the hook for everything. Now I'm left having to believe what Blueprint said about the "bad flexplate" because one small step was skipped.

Last edited by craig3x; 01-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.

post #109 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I posted this in the "general discussion" section, because I'm not looking for specific mechanical advice. Just looking for shared thoughts and ideas about how to handle this matter. It's clear that many of you feel a mechanic can not follow given instructions, perform unnecessary work and then should be paid for it. I won't post anymore until I get the results back about whether or not the flexplate was actually the culprit.

Sorry for posting "mechanical advice" to support my answer.

You asked a question "what would you do?who's fault?" and in 8 pages it seems no one agreed on how you think it should be handled and who's at fault

Quote:
If the flexplate is in fact bad, then I'm going to ask my mechanic that I only pay the diagnostic part ($540) where the bad flexplate would have been discovered if he had followed instructions, not needing to R&R the engine.
Wish you luck, cases like this is why shops either shy away from or charge absorbent rates for hp work because there's too many unforeseen problems
Israel and sixseven like this.

Larry
post #110 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry for posting "mechanical advice" to support my answer.

You asked a question "what would you do?who's fault?" and in 8 pages it seems no one agreed on how you think it should be handled and who's at fault

Wish you luck, cases like this is why shops either shy away from or charge absorbent rates for hp work because there's too many unforeseen problems
This was simple. Do what you were paid to do (swap the flexplate) I literally agreed to pay for that, and it wasn't done.
What if I paid you to change a clutch, but you just inspected it, thought it was fine and didn't change it, but charged me for the job. Should I pay you for the entire clutch change? Your lack of rational is astounding.

But yes, he could have thrown his hands up and said he didn't want to deal with this and I would have found another shop to deal with the vibration...but he didn't, and wanted the extra work.

Last edited by craig3x; 01-11-2018 at 09:57 PM.
post #111 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I won't post anymore until I get the results back about whether or not the flexplate was actually the culprit.
What happened to this?

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #112 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
What if I paid you to change a clutch, but you just inspected it, thought it was fine and didn't change it, but charged me for the job. Should I pay you for the entire clutch change? Your lack of rational is astounding.
It seems my rational is in the majority and yours is in the minority in this thread

Your can also look at this way...he did you a favor pulling the engine and sending it back. You stated it was taking a long time to get the engine back because Blueprint wanted to tear it down and go through it. To see if the 2.5oz imbalance caused any bearing damage.

So lets say he changed the flexplate and you take your car and down the road it throws a rod because the bearings were damaged from the bad flexplate. Still think he did the right thing for the best outcome
bacchus203 likes this.

Larry
post #113 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your can also look at this way...he did you a favor pulling the engine and sending it back.
Did me a favor He's charging me for that! That's the whole problem. It may not have been necessary to pull the engine if he would have done what was asked/paid for by changing out the flexplate. Bearing damage after the fact would not have been his problem, as the engine is under warranty. DO WHAT YOU'RE PAID TO DO! If you're told to change out the flexplate and the customer agrees to pay for that, then DO IT. Don't cut corners by just checking part numbers.

I can only imagine the number of pissed off customers you had in your 40+ years as a mechanic by not providing services paid for.

I'm beyond looking for your and Greg's opinions. you clearly don't understand that when someone pays for a service, they expect that service.

This post has grown so huge, I'm just answering questions for those who ask. No more opinions needed. I'll let you all know what happens when I check the flexplates. In the meantime, if you have questions, ask away.
post #114 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 AM

Everyoneís Ďopinion,í not just mine an Grabber Blue is that youíre mechanic is not at fault here. Itís an opinion thatís not limited to two people. Even after you answer questions it seems that everyone is siding with the mechanic. Weíve all been there with something that didnít go our way. You might get more sympathy if you werenít so confrontational. Youíve stated the facts and the people still have the same conclusion, or as you call it opinion. But youíre just getting more aggravated coming on this forum which on the end isnít all that healthy. Iíd spend my time elsewhere doing something not irritating but thatís me. Save the fight for small claims because thatís about the only place youíre going to see any of that money.
289vert, sixseven and vegasloki like this.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #115 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:37 AM

^ + 1
If you're getting this aggravated over your experience on the forum... wait until you get shafted by blueprint.
https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...rint%20engines
And many others.
Come back in 6 months and tell us again what a great company they are.
I DO feel for you .... but it is still not the shops fault.
post #116 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Sounds like Blueprint's warrantee is crap. If the mechanic changed the flywheel, which would have cost more due to the added removal of the transmission, I bet Blueprint would still give a very questionable reason why the engine wobbled and it not being their fault, weaseling out of their warrantee either way.

How about this.. when you get the engine back, have the mechanic (whoever installs it) temporarily re-install the alleged bad flywheel and see if it throws the engine out of balance. Record it, and use it as your proof.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
craig3x likes this.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8 comp
460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"◊10", 19"x12" 325/30
post #117 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 AM

I would suggest moving on. It sucks. There are worse problems to have in life. This seems like it causes you a lot of stress and that is unhealthy.
I was reminded recently that my ongoing court battle with an inept, con artist, contractor. The contractor caused about $40,000.00 in damages to my property. This is really not the biggest challenge life can throw at me.
I recently meet a man who's wife is recovering from a double lung transplant.
That kind of makes my problem look silly in comparison. His outlook on life's obstacles was way more positive than mine.
Not trying to minimize your problem. Just saying. There are far more challenging battles in life. It is not worth your time and health to take this one on.
Grabber70Mach and craig3x like this.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #118 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
No more opinions needed. I'll let you all know what happens when I check the flexplates. In the meantime, if you have questions, ask away.
I have one. This morning you edited/modified your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th posts from back on 12/20/17 and in doing so changed the exact narrative of this thread. Why?
Israel, sixseven and Grabber Blu like this.

post #119 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM

Are you even positive that the flywheel they returned to you is the unit that was on the engine?
post #120 of 186 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I can only imagine the number of pissed off customers you had in your 40+ years as a mechanic by not providing services paid for.
Now your attacking me...lets get something straight, I'm not a mechanic, I'm a technician and more specifically a Master Diagnostic Technician. I have achieved awards and recognition that only a handful of people in the US have and have been inducted in a service champions society in Japan

I have never charged for something I have never done and in fact I did a lot things for free to make a job right
Grabber70Mach and 4ocious like this.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page