9Likes
  • 4 Post By patrickstapler
  • 1 Post By rbohm
  • 1 Post By zray
  • 3 Post By degins

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

What brakes to use?

Hi,
I am rebuilding a 302 for my 69 and should make over 300 hp and ft/tq. I havent found a set of brakes i feel comfortable buying (regarding affordability and value for money) so I came here for some suggestions.

I heard the Wilwood 11.3" disk conversion is a good step up
https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...9/p/DBF200D-V/

The back brakes are missing so will also need to be replaced so any suggestions are welcome.

Would people recommend a bigger set or would these be alright?

thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Any of the K/H kits will be more than adequate.

BRAKES Archives - Opentracker Racing Products
Huskinhano, zray, rbohm and 1 others like this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 PM

You could also get the brackets and run either 04 Cobra or 05+ brake. You'd have to be running 17" wheels though. I have 04 Cobra brakes front and rear on the coupe. Work great, easy to get parts for, great pad/rotor options available, and aren't expensive.

The issue I have with kits like you posted are the replacement pads/rotors, sometime these are only available through that vendor. That can be a pain, plus the "wilwood" replacement pads and rotors are probably expensive.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotgieter View Post
Hi,
I am rebuilding a 302 for my 69 and should make over 300 hp and ft/tq. I havent found a set of brakes i feel comfortable buying (regarding affordability and value for money) so I came here for some suggestions.

I heard the Wilwood 11.3" disk conversion is a good step up
https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...9/p/DBF200D-V/

The back brakes are missing so will also need to be replaced so any suggestions are welcome.

Would people recommend a bigger set or would these be alright?

thanks a lot!
...but the Wilwood or even Brembo 6 piston brakes would be even better. Coolness factor is way higher. The real question is, how well do you need to stop? Are you an aggressive driver? Are you track racing? Is bling important to you?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 PM

wilwood makes some very good brakes, no question. and at about $700 the system you linked to is certainly affordable, since the factory KH system runs from about $600-800 depending on where you buy them from.

the thing you have t consider though is, how available are the parts? will you be able to get what you need in case of failure in places like resume speed iowa, or moosebreath montana?

or even in your local parts store? when you walk in and tell the parts clerk your system is a wilwood system for a 69 mustang, will they be able to find the parts in the store computer? or will he say we dont sell wilwood parts? or will they ask what is wilwood?

on the other hand, if you walk into said parts store, and tell the clerk you need pads and rotors for a 66 mustang, they can handle that, so can rock auto. note i said 66 mustang because in 69 the factory went to a single piston caliper, and the KH system is the earlier four piston design.

the other thing you can do, if you are on a budget, is get the NPD mustang catalog and piece the system together from their catalog as they have all the parts individually. it will take more time though.
tpotgieter likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 AM

I have a 69 with a 302. I run the 67 K/H brakes with a power booster. I can easily lock up the wheels; in fact the brakes are probably a bit too touchy especially when the road is wet. Bigger brakes like the Brembos and Wilwoods definitely have more bling but I don't believe you gain anything unless you're looking at racing the vehicle. Once the wheels are locked, you're skidding and the coefficient of friction is much less... therefore the whole reason for ABS in new cars.

david

69 Winter Blue 302 Fastback w/ Original Paint

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotgieter View Post
Hi,
I am rebuilding a 302 for my 69 and should make over 300 hp and ft/tq. I havent found a set of brakes i feel comfortable buying (regarding affordability and value for money) so I came here for some suggestions. ....."

without investing in a multi-thousand $$$ anti-lock braking system, there is no advantage to having front brakes bigger than the stock K-H system and a stock rear drum brake system. If you are able to lock the brakes up at speed, then buying more braking power is wasted money. Buy a stock system, then get the best friction material. Porterfield and ebc both make great pads for the street, and the Porterfield brake shoes are best I know of for the street. You will see a substantial improvement in braking distances with better friction material.

Having sticky tires and a sensitive compliant suspension system is where you should be spending your money to improve braking performance, not on bigger brakes, or on power brakes either. Just my opinion

& 2 cents,

Z.
patrickstapler likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wilwood makes some very good brakes, no question. and at about $700 the system you linked to is certainly affordable, since the factory KH system runs from about $600-800 depending on where you buy them from.

the thing you have t consider though is, how available are the parts? will you be able to get what you need in case of failure in places like resume speed iowa, or moosebreath montana?

or even in your local parts store? when you walk in and tell the parts clerk your system is a wilwood system for a 69 mustang, will they be able to find the parts in the store computer? or will he say we dont sell wilwood parts? or will they ask what is wilwood?

on the other hand, if you walk into said parts store, and tell the clerk you need pads and rotors for a 66 mustang, they can handle that, so can rock auto. note i said 66 mustang because in 69 the factory went to a single piston caliper, and the KH system is the earlier four piston design.

the other thing you can do, if you are on a budget, is get the NPD mustang catalog and piece the system together from their catalog as they have all the parts individually. it will take more time though.
The Wilwood kit includes only the under the fender parts, no master cylinder, no proportioning valve, no MC/APV plumbing parts.
Huskinhano, rbohm and Klutch like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by degins View Post
The Wilwood kit includes only the under the fender parts, no master cylinder, no proportioning valve, no MC/APV plumbing parts.
very true, but then i wasnt talking about those parts, but rather the rotors, pads, and calipers. remember these parts also fail from time to time.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
without investing in a multi-thousand $$$ anti-lock braking system, there is no advantage to having front brakes bigger than the stock K-H system and a stock rear drum brake system. If you are able to lock the brakes up at speed, then buying more braking power is wasted money. Buy a stock system, then get the best friction material. Porterfield and ebc both make great pads for the street, and the Porterfield brake shoes are best I know of for the street. You will see a substantial improvement in braking distances with better friction material.

Having sticky tires and a sensitive compliant suspension system is where you should be spending your money to improve braking performance, not on bigger brakes, or on power brakes either. Just my opinion

& 2 cents,

Z.
This reasoning is the answer to the Posters question, and should be the answers to all who want good brakes, and not concerned about flair/flash/bragging rights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page