Trunk not sealing - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 22GT

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Trunk not sealing

Hello all,

Last year I installed a new trunk seal and I kept getting fumes in the cabin and specially in the trunk that makes my seats and accessories smell like gas, well I just noticed that I have a big gap in the trunk where the lower seal(taillight) all the way across and I re-adjusted the trunk with no success I think my only option is to install a seal on the trunk itself(I know its not stock) where can I find a seal that I can use.

Thank you for reading and helping out.

RIP Son
Nathan 09-23-95 - 07-08-14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 PM

OK, first find out why the trunk seal isn't sealing. Is the gasket crap? Installed wrong? Sheetmetal distorted?

Did you do the dollar test? My Grandad taught me that one. Close the trunk lid on a $1 bill. Pull the bill out. Was there resistance or not? Move it a few inches, and do it again. You can pinpoint problem areas that way.
Blues Power and rpm like this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM
MWM

Just went through this on mine. The opening around the lid had been pushed down over years of use. Its amazing what a little tugging will do. Dont over pull just enough to make a good seal. I used a large flashlight in the trunk to find my low spots.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

The seal is installed correctly (according to the internet) and by research and clearly the rear end seal is way off as much as .750". I will try to get some pictures up by the weekend.

Thank you,

RIP Son
Nathan 09-23-95 - 07-08-14
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Mine was at least that far off. I had to weld 3 layers of flat stock to the complete section above the taillights and then shape into the side rail sections. Im guessing this is due to the poor installation of the panels when the repair shop assembled new tail, quarter and floor panels. It actually turned out really good, unless you know the rail is too high you cant see anything that looks out of place.

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page